June 2 game-Cole vs Harvey

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Post by Tintin »

5C7E6D707376717E5D6A7C7C701F0 wrote: That is criminal.

I don't. Cole lost won after throwing a two hitter. This one is a little karma.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

143F333A3F3E6469500 wrote: Cole had never given up more than 11 HRs in a season until this year. He's now up to 15 and it's only June 2.

That's really suspicious. He had elbow inflammation issues last year, and they were worried about him, running a lot of tests.  He hasn't had his Tommy John yet. I wonder if he's heading for that, or just another lengthy stint on the DL list.

Tommy John, because that's just our luck.  Pay him for a year on the DL and rehabbing, and then he finally gets back to form in time to sign elsewhere.  Damn, I'm just not feeling good about this team these days.

He's throwing well, he's just throwing stupid. Fastballs up are going to get crushed in the big league. He's not hurt, he's in the pitcher version of a slump. He's Glasnowing. He gives up a hard hit ball on a good pitch and then tries to throw 115 mph fast past people and those get put in the bullpen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It's a shame the play of Cole outshines so many of the positives that happened in this game.

Diaz, Harrison, Bell, the bullpen were all pretty great. Too bad no one noticed. Such a negative town. You would think the Pirates lost reading this thread.

To fit in, let me ask: If Cole stinks why would he bring back a huge return?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The risk is too great - if Cole goes down with TJ the Pirates are absolutely dead. If he just pitches crappy till trade deadline, the Pirates are going to pay a very large price.

Every day Cole pitches can only hurt.

I don't care if big trades wait till July - Neal should have been calling since Mid-April.

I get this sick feeling that this is going to go very bad for the pirates.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

5B707C7570712B261F0 wrote:

That's really suspicious. He had elbow inflammation issues last year, and they were worried about him, running a lot of tests.  He hasn't had his Tommy John yet. I wonder if he's heading for that, or just another lengthy stint on the DL list.

Tommy John, because that's just our luck.

Yeah, last year it certainly looked like he was on his way to TJ surgery.

But as far as the potential of him needing surgery being, "just our luck," I couldn't disagree more.

Tommy John surgery for pitchers is part of today's game, just the same as defensive shifts. It has nothing to do with us as Pirates fans having bad luck or the organization having bad luck.

Look around the league. Pitchers having Tommy John surgery happens more often than Gregory Polanco butchering a fly ball in RF.

OK, OK, maybe not more often than a Polanco OF screw up, but pretty close.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

282F39313F286F631A3D373B3336743935375A0 wrote: The risk is too great - if Cole goes down with TJ the Pirates are absolutely dead.  If he just pitches crappy till trade deadline, the Pirates are going to pay a very large price. 

Every day Cole pitches can only hurt. 

I don't care if big trades wait till July - Neal should have been calling since Mid-April. 

I get this sick feeling that this is going to go very bad for the pirates.

But you can't attack things that way. With that thinking, teams should be trying to trade every pitcher before something bad bad happens. They're all just ticking time bombs and TJs waiting to happen after all.
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

172A2D372A2D430 wrote: Cole had never given up more than 11 HRs in a season until this year. He's now up to 15 and it's only June 2.

Tommy John, because that's just our luck.  Pay him for a year on the DL and rehabbing, and then he finally gets back to form in time to sign elsewhere.  Damn, I'm just not feeling good about this team these days.

He's throwing well, he's just throwing stupid.  Fastballs up are going to get crushed in the big league. He's not hurt, he's in the pitcher version of a slump.  He's Glasnowing.  He gives up a hard hit ball on a good pitch and then tries to throw 115 mph fast past people and those get put in the bullpen.

I hope its just a need to adjust his pitching plan. If the UCL has problems, though, pitch location can suffer. Could be he's having trouble locating.

(crossing fingers)