6/24/17 - sole possession of 3rd place,sights set on Cubbies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Uh-oh, Watson's on. I hope the 6 run lead is enough.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Crazy year in the NL.  Four of the five playoff spots are all but decided already.  Washington, Colorado, Los Angeles, and Arizona are all probably in.  Only thing still up in the air is the NL Central.  None of those five teams deserve to be in the playoffs.  But, the rules say that one of them must be.  Might as well be us.  Four out...three back in the loss column.

Also, not to dwell on the past, but, we've blown late leads against: Boston, LA, Cubs, Brewers, and Orioles (twice). Granted, we've won a couple of games late (Cards and Braves come to mind) and every team wins and loses games late. But...flip those six games, and we're 41-34 with a three game lead over the Brewers. I really don't think this is a very good team, but there is reason to keep watching at least. We're also going to make the biggest acquisition in MLB at the trade deadline.

I'm looking for a good outing from Kuhl tomorrow night. Personally, I think he's playing for his spot in the rotation. I think one more stinker, and we're going to see Brault.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

484043746247606F010 wrote: I'm looking for a good outing from Kuhl tomorrow night.  Personally, I think he's playing for his spot in the rotation.  I think one more stinker, and we're going to see Brault.

I'm hoping you're right about Kuhl. Love to sweep the Cards in StL. But another bad start from him and I'm sure ready for Brault.

Brault went tonight 6 IP 7H 2ER 3BB 5K 68 strikes in 102.

In his last ten starts, Brault has an ERA of 1.48 and WHIP of 1.06.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Kuhl is like Jeff Locke in how when he is supposed to get cut, sent down he pitches well. So, I expect a good game from him to keep his job.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Kuhl is like Jeff Locke in how when he is supposed to get cut, sent down he pitches well. So, I expect a good game from him to keep his job.

Williams could be sent down as he hasn't been very good either.

I would try him in the pen for awhile and bring Brault up to start.

The challenge that Kuhl has is that he can barely get through the 5th inning most games. He has good stuff, just needs to pitch and not try to be perfect.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

715E49485E4250583B0 wrote: Kuhl is like Jeff Locke in how when he is supposed to get cut, sent down he pitches well. So, I expect a good game from him to keep his job.

Williams could be sent down as he hasn't been very good either.

I would try him in the pen for awhile and bring Brault up to start.

The challenge that Kuhl has is that he can barely get through the 5th inning most games. He has good stuff, just needs to pitch and not try to be perfect.
I think they are satisfied with Williams as a #5. 3 of his past 5 starts have been pretty good. Brault needs to replace Kuhl. But Kuhl has only this season begun to emerge as a power pitcher and needs to master that style. He could do that as a starter in AAA. Or he could do that from the Bucs' bullpen. He's got a lot of potential. I think he could become a fine starter but needs to do a little more work first.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

61696A5D4B6E4946280 wrote: Crazy year in the NL.  Four of the five playoff spots are all but decided already.  Washington, Colorado, Los Angeles, and Arizona are all probably in.  Only thing still up in the air is the NL Central.  None of those five teams deserve to be in the playoffs.  But, the rules say that one of them must be.  Might as well be us.  Four out...three back in the loss column.

Also, not to dwell on the past, but, we've blown late leads against: Boston, LA, Cubs, Brewers, and Orioles (twice).  Granted, we've won a couple of games late (Cards and Braves come to mind) and every team wins and loses games late.  But...flip those six games, and we're 41-34 with a three game lead over the Brewers.  I really don't think this is a very good team, but there is reason to keep watching at least.  We're also going to make the biggest acquisition in MLB at the trade deadline.

I'm looking for a good outing from Kuhl tomorrow night.  Personally, I think he's playing for his spot in the rotation.  I think one more stinker, and we're going to see Brault. Still gonna take probably 84-85 wins to win this division IA which means the Pirates have to go 50-37 the last 87 games to win this division and I just don't see this team being able to play that kind of baseball these final 3 months. The Pirates have 7 games coming up next weekend against the Giants and Phillies the two worst teams record wise in the NL and pretty much in all of baseball. You gotta go 5-2 in that stretch of games and find a way to win 2 of 3 from Tampa this week as well. A win to tonight in St Louis gives you a 5-2 roadtrip this week. So if they can do exactly what I just said they could get back to .500 at 43-43 going into the Cubs series before the All Star Break.