A player the Bucs should attempt to sign

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

434B487F694C6B640A0 wrote: I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani.  If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher.  He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan.  Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs.  I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing.  A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market.  Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers.  That's three of the big spenders right off the bat.  (Again, could be wrong on that.)   There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that.  I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base.  Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded.  Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first.  IDK.  All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year.  At this stage, it's all hype.  And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face.  But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.

What would you do with a player like that in the NL?

You'd probably want to rest him a couple days in-between pitching starts at least. Play him in the outfield 2 days out of the 5, let him PH in the others?

The Bucs probably can't get him. An AL team will probably value him higher than the Pirates will, as he's an everyday hitter that starts every 5 days to them.

How much control does he have over where he goes? If he has any say, then he's not going to the NL. I'm betting he'd love to pitch and DH. Lets him hit those homers every day, keeps him fresh, prevents injuries in the field at least.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

446F636A6F6E3439000 wrote: I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani.  If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher.  He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan.  Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs.  I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing.  A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market.  Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers.  That's three of the big spenders right off the bat.  (Again, could be wrong on that.)   There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that.  I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base.  Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded.  Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first.  IDK.  All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year.  At this stage, it's all hype.  And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face.  But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.

What would you do with a player like that in the NL?

You'd probably want to rest him a couple days in-between pitching starts at least.  Play him in the outfield 2 days out of the 5, let him PH in the others?

The Bucs probably can't get him.  An AL team will probably value him higher than the Pirates will, as he's an everyday hitter that starts every 5 days to them.

How much control does he have over where he goes?  If he has any say, then he's not going to the NL.  I'm betting he'd love to pitch and DH.  Lets him hit those homers every day, keeps him fresh, prevents injuries in the field at least.

It's like in a way he'd be more desirable as a reliever (though it seems like he'd be a good starter).
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Who would I target for 2018? A new owner and GM. Waive Nutting on non-revocable waivers and do so with the idea that a new owner will give us so much more financial help that Nutting ever will. Put NH on revocable waivers because we may want him around a new owner who will spend like he has more money than he knows what to do with.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2A21292520213A7F790E372F262121602D214E0 wrote:

Not opposed to taking a flier, but players from Japan are hit or miss.  That is the scary thing.

Who would you target?

From Japan, or in general?  How about someone who makes the roster better because he has a proven track record, not a reclamation project.  Basically anyone who has talent and isn't on the downside of his career (no reclamation projects) would fall into the category as how I would target.  That isn't realistic here because its not in the MO of this organization, the GM or the owner because it costs some money, which he has tons of.

You would only keep (maybe) four players from the current team and have no idea who to replace them with?  You have no realistic targets? 

You think Marte, Polanco, Cervelli, Mercer, and Freese stink yet you can't name or try to name a replacement?

Who I would target and who NH and our cheap owner targets are two totally different things.  Not rocket science.  I look at reality here.  No sense throwing out names of significance or ones that can help since they aren't realistic here with our model in Pittsburgh.

By the way, Texas made a nice little move acquiring Miguel Gonzalez from the White Sox for pennies on the dollar.  I would have targeted him and slotted him 4th in the rotation next year ahead of Williams, who is a five and bump Kuhl out.  At worst he is a nice five and gets Kuhl out of the rotation entirely.

Personally, I'd deal Cole to the Yanks for Clint Frazier, Justice Sheffield and Tyler Austin.  They won't do it because a good farm system is important to them.  If not for the Verlander deal, I would send him to Houston for what Detroit got.  Pittsburgh won't do this because they think they are contenders (LOL).

I would go after Alex Cobb, who isn't in the Pittsburgh DNA.  They will have to spend money.  They don't like using money saved and reinvesting.  I would take a flier on Hector Santiago or sign Miguel Gonzalez.

1. Taillon

2. Cobb

3. Nova and hope the hell he gets back to the early stages of the year.

4. Santiago/Gonzalez

5. Williams/Glasnow

Bullpen - Addison Reed and Tyler Clippard  Reed won't happen, because the $$$ thing

OF - Trade Polanco ... sign Cargo (won't happen, because of the $$$ thing), or even Carlos Gomez ($$$ thing).  Have always liked him.  Austin Jackson would be a nice cheap fourth OF.  Still think we need one OF even though Frazier has shown the ability to hit.

3B - forget Kang.  Sign one of Todd Frazier or Mark Reynolds (he is having a solid year).

C- Cervelli

1B - Bell

2B - Harrison

SS - Mercer

3B - Frazier/Reynolds

OF - Marte, Gomez and ??? (I'd deal Cutch since we won't get anything if he stays past the deadline).  Have no idea to where.

Again, fantasy island because this organization doesn't care and some of these are very doable if we had an owner who cared and a GM who had stones.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

705159705B53340 wrote: Who would I target for 2018?  A new owner and GM.  Waive Nutting on non-revocable waivers and do so with the idea that a new owner will give us so much more financial help that Nutting ever will.  Put NH on revocable waivers because we may want him around a new owner who will spend like he has more money than he knows what to do with.

Perfectly said. The saying used often in the NFL is "you can't fire the entire team so you fire the coach". If we can't expect to upgrade player personnel through spending, I would scour the industry for the closest thing to Jim Leyland and hire him. I think a lot of wins have been left on the table. With better coaching, fundamentals, game management, and leadership even the current roster could be improved significantly.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

406169406B63040 wrote: Who would I target for 2018?  A new owner and GM.  Waive Nutting on non-revocable waivers and do so with the idea that a new owner will give us so much more financial help that Nutting ever will.  Put NH on revocable waivers because we may want him around a new owner who will spend like he has more money than he knows what to do with.

I like this ... a lot.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

If the payroll cap is 120, sign Jay Bruce on a 2/20 or even maybe a touch more. . Try to keep it at two years.   We are desperate for the slugging and his defense is plus in RF. I don't give a rats patooty about his .250 average or .320 OBP.   Power and defense, both huge needs.

Trade McCutchen it's coming anyway.  Leys get it over with.. Marte to CF Polanco to LF. 

Sign Todd Frazier. Hope to God that NH doesn't blow it when he trades Cutch.

You're still under 110. Or you could trade Polanco keep Cutch and still sign Frazier.

But that would mean payroll would be 120 and we would actually be going all in to try to make something happen before Cutch leaves for FA

mouse

Post by mouse »

The payroll cap for next year won't be higher than this year, and could be even less. I fully expect high(er) salary players to go -- Cutch so they don't lose whatever value he has, JHay because he has trade value (presumably) and an escalating salary.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

474E465759230 wrote: If the payroll cap is 120, sign Jay Bruce on a 2/20 or even maybe a touch more. . Try to keep it at two years.   We are desperate for the slugging and his defense is plus in RF. I don't give a rats patooty about his .250 average or .320 OBP.   Power and defense, both huge needs.

Trade McCutchen it's coming anyway.  Leys get it over with.. Marte to CF Polanco to LF. 

Sign Todd Frazier. Hope to God that NH doesn't blow it when he trades Cutch.

You're still under 110.   Or you could trade Polanco keep Cutch and still sign Frazier.

But that would mean payroll would be 120 and we would actually be going all in to try to make something happen before Cutch leaves for FA

Any OF with Polanco in it just makes me want to :'(. I could care less about potential, he is always hurt, he will get hot for a week and then disappear for a month. He is well below average defensively. The only enticing thing is he is still relatively cheap. I would trade him in the hopes someone bites on the potential.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Another risky, piratey option would be to sign Jed Lowrie and cross your fingers that he can stay healthy enough to play 130 games at 2b. and move JHay to 3b. 

Lowrie when healthy is a decent, switch hitting, 2b starting option but he's never healthy, so it's a huge risk.   Though he won't cost much because of that injury history.

So if we wanted to cheap out from Frazier or Moustakas (which we defintely won't sign Moose after a very good year from him and being prime years, though Todd Frazier will be cheap enough to get) you could sign Lowrie on the cheap and move JHay to 3b.

If you trade cutch(which appears to be coming) for pitching, sign Bruce and Lowrie, your batting order is treading water.

also it assumes JHay puts up another 2017 quality season next year.

IMO the best thing to do would be to sign or trade for a PH OF (Bruce for example) and a Power hitting 3b (frazier).

you have SRod, Adam Frazier and Freese for depth.