9/6 game. Cole vs Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Are there any other lefties?

I just don't like the strategy that it is this guy's inning and it is up to him to get it done.

I would have pitched Hudson to Bryant and then brought in a lefty knowing the Cubs had four lefties in a row due up.

Hudson did walk Rizzo, but I have no problem pitching around him. A lot of borderline pitches. Stewart's throw to second was awful as the runner was probably out with an accurate throw. Then they had some weird shift on that gave up a triple.

The bats didn't show up. I think the Pirates only had two guys in scoring position all night and none reached third base. It was a good pitcher's duel.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Did anyone notice how Stewart handled Cole in the 1st inning after the 2 Ks er I mean walks? Seems that Stewart was able to talk some success into Cole and not allow him to get flustered and let the game get away. Stewart seemed to take the inning in hand and helped Cole stay focused on pitching rather than stewing about the umps bad calls.

And did you see how Cole went to the ump after the inning in a mature not confrontational way and had a talk about the strike zone I assume in that inning. All seemed to go well as Cole did not show up the ump.

Sometimes it takes the non-hitting catcher to be in there to calm down a competitive guy like Cole who can let things get away from himself.

Now lets see Diaz in there with Taillion tonite.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good post, Possum.

I do think that is a big issue with Cole. He gets too fired up at times instead of letting his talent take over. I wish he was more calm like Taillon.

With that said, I would rather have a better catcher than Stewart. His bad throw helped the Cubs score.