If you trade Cutch?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

62505C5C487A59505D585750310 wrote: What would you want as the main piece as a return? Power hitting third base man, hard throwing starting pitcher or another out fielder with power. Maybe one of each if he is traded but what would be your main piece in a deal as the return!

The best collection of prospects you can get.  A team that deal for Cutch believe he is a missing piece to the puzzle, therefore, they won't be sending a MLB player that is any good back.  Last years deal that Washington offered - especially after a poor year by Cutch, made too much sense.  Gio, Reynaldo Lopez and Giolito.  Expect, NH wanted Robles too and Cutch didn't hold that much value.  Big time fail.

Do we really know that, or is it a guess

Buddy of mine that I worked with in Texas covers the Washington Nationals beat. That was the offer. Not a guess.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington. I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer? Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers. The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone. They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner. Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.
IABucFan

If you trade Cutch?

Post by IABucFan »

Let me throw out a crazy Andrew McCutchen trade idea:

Yankees get: Andrew McCutchen

Pirates get: Brett Gardner, plus $2 million of Yankees International bonus money

That would give the Pirates the most bonus money in MLB, giving them the inside track to sign Shoei Otani. Otani could fill the need for a power hitting outfielder, and a shutdown reliever. Depending on how that works out, he could potentially move into the rotation (thought I think that's a lot easier said than done).

In my mind, Gardner is kind of a throw-in on this trade, just cause the Yankees would have no need of him, and it evens out the money somewhat. The big target here is Otani.

I don't know what it is...the first time I saw this kid I wanted him in black and gold. This kid is something else. According to MLBTR, there are only six teams that can offer him seven figures, the Pirates being one of them.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/ ... ani-4.html
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington.  I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer?  Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers.  The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone.  They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner.  Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.

It was dumb for NH to ask for Robles when you consider how bad of a year Cutch had and no one knew what 2017 would be like.  NH wanted a boat load for a guy trending down.

Bottom line, that was what Washington offered NH for Cutch and it was turned down. That was a dumb move. It doesn't matter if NH wanted Robles, he wasn't getting him from Washington. They weren't about to trade him for a player that had a crap year and might not recover. Absent a 3.5-month stretch, Cutch wasn't good in 2017.
Ecbucs

If you trade Cutch?

Post by Ecbucs »

00080B3C2A0F2827490 wrote: Let me throw out a crazy Andrew McCutchen trade idea:

Pirates get: Brett Gardner, plus $2 million of Yankees International bonus money

That would give the Pirates the most bonus money in MLB, giving them the inside track to sign Shoei Otani. Otani could fill the need for a power hitting outfielder, and a shutdown reliever. Depending on how that works out, he could potentially move into the rotation (thought I think that's a lot easier said than done).

In my mind, Gardner is kind of a throw-in on this trade, just cause the Yankees would have no need of him, and it evens out the money somewhat. The big target here is Otani.

I don't know what it is...the first time I saw this kid I wanted him in black and gold. This kid is something else. According to MLBTR, there are only six teams that can offer him seven figures, the Pirates being one of them.

There isn't much money difference between the two, so the value is that there would be $2 million more that could be used for international signings?

Gardner is owned 13.5 million (2018 salary and 2019 buyout) and Yankees send 2 million in international signing money.

So the Bucs come out $1 million ahead overall.

The question then is whether the Bucs are better with one year of Gardner and more international money or one year of Cutch plus a draft choice (or what either could be dealt for during the season).
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

6C4A4B5C4A5A290 wrote: Let me throw out a crazy Andrew McCutchen trade idea:

There isn't much money difference between the two, so the value is that there would be $2 million more that could be used for international signings?

Gardner is owned 13.5 million (2018 salary and 2019 buyout) and Yankees send 2 million in international signing money. 

So the Bucs come out $1 million ahead overall.

The question then is whether the Bucs are better with one year of Gardner and more international money or one year of Cutch plus  a draft choice (or what either could be dealt for during the season).

Despite getting that international $$$ from the Yanks, it doesn't mean the Bucs are the frontrunners for this player. It wouldn't be a given. Would love Justus Sheffield and Miguel Andujar, but I doubt the Yanks bite. First, Cutch may not be worth that and second, the Yanks are holding on to their prime prospects.
mouse

If you trade Cutch?

Post by mouse »

The real problem for the Pirates going forward is that almost *all* teams are holding onto their prospects, not just the Yankees. Teams have seen how economically effective a home-grown team can be, and the Astros success this year will only accelerate that. Unless you look for "prospects" that are three or four years away, getting a real prospect is going to cost an arm and leg. I'm guessing people will be disappointed A level players in a Cutch trade return.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

0919182F3939355A0 wrote: It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington.  I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer?  Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers.  The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone.  They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner.  Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.

It was dumb for NH to ask for Robles when you consider how bad of a year Cutch had and no one knew what 2017 would be like.  NH wanted a boat load for a guy trending down.

Bottom line, that was what Washington offered NH for Cutch and it was turned down.  That was a dumb move.  It doesn't matter if NH wanted Robles, he wasn't getting him from Washington.  They weren't about to trade him for a player that had a crap year and might not recover.  Absent a 3.5-month stretch, Cutch wasn't good in 2017.

Why does it hurt to ask for certain players? Washington was the one who came asking and offering for McCutchen, it wasn't the other way around. Washington's deal for Eaton didn't turn out well either since he got hurt very early.

I like your last line. McCutchen was good only 3.5 months out of the season (6 months). So, he was good more than half the season and you twisted it into he had a bad year. Overall, McCutchen was a top CF in 2017: 5th in OPS, 4th in HR, 5th in Slg, 2nd in RBI, 10th in Ave, 6th in Hits, 4th in Runs.
SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington.  I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer?  Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers.  The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone.  They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner.  Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.

Bottom line, that was what Washington offered NH for Cutch and it was turned down.  That was a dumb move.  It doesn't matter if NH wanted Robles, he wasn't getting him from Washington.  They weren't about to trade him for a player that had a crap year and might not recover.  Absent a 3.5-month stretch, Cutch wasn't good in 2017.

Why does it hurt to ask for certain players?  Washington was the one who came asking and offering for McCutchen, it wasn't the other way around.  Washington's deal for Eaton didn't turn out well either since he got hurt very early. 

I like your last line.  McCutchen was good only 3.5 months out of the season (6 months).  So, he was good more than half the season and you twisted it into he had a bad year.  Overall, McCutchen was a top CF in 2017:  5th in OPS, 4th in HR, 5th in Slg, 2nd in RBI, 10th in Ave, 6th in Hits, 4th in Runs.

I don't think he's washed up, but if I were a team looking for an outfielder I also wouldn't want to get a guy wondering whether his bat will show up from month to month.  That's hard to build a lineup around.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

14262A2A3E0C2F262B2E2126470 wrote: It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington.  I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer?  Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers.  The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone.  They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner.  Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.

Why does it hurt to ask for certain players?  Washington was the one who came asking and offering for McCutchen, it wasn't the other way around.  Washington's deal for Eaton didn't turn out well either since he got hurt very early. 

I like your last line.  McCutchen was good only 3.5 months out of the season (6 months).  So, he was good more than half the season and you twisted it into he had a bad year.  Overall, McCutchen was a top CF in 2017:  5th in OPS, 4th in HR, 5th in Slg, 2nd in RBI, 10th in Ave, 6th in Hits, 4th in Runs.

I don't think he's washed up, but if I were a team looking for an outfielder I also wouldn't want to get a guy wondering whether his bat will show up from month to month.  That's hard to build a lineup around.

Do you think Adam Eaton is better than McCutchen?