Official Game Thread - 7/21 Bucs vs Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Re: Official Game Thread - 7/21 Bucs vs Phillies

Post by bucs607179 »

Most likely a loss. 2 out of 3 from Phillies, I'll take it. 4-3 season series Bucs win.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

time to score seven runs, no need to take this to extra innings.
Last edited by Ecbucs on Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

We can’t be too disappointed with a series win against that club. Being shutout, however, does magnify the issue the Pirates have. They have to do something. The fans’ interest has been heightened. If the club does nothing, more fans will turn away and may never come back.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Interesting that we all felt this was probably the best Sunday lineup that Shelton has put out there. The result: getting shut out!
Baseball is crazy
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Bad game. Bad pitching, bad hitting, bad defense. We've seen this too many times before.

But this one feels different ....in a good way. This wasn't the umpteenth poorly played game in a row or another in a series of disappointing losses. This one happened after a series of good games and didn't prevent a series win over the team with the best record in MLB. And it didn't happen by playing an unnecessarily weak Sunday lineup. They gave it a shot. Bad games happen. They happen to all teams from time to time. A week ago the Phillies lost 18-3 to a weak Oakland team. As long as the Pirates can play well on a fairly consistent basis, these bad games won't be typical and will be quickly forgotten. I doubt the Cardinals are looking forward to facing Keller and Skenes the next couple days. The Bucs have now won 6 of 7 and, hopefully, will make it 8 of 9 soon. Bad games will happen. The trick is to minimize them.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:37 pm Bad game. Bad pitching, bad hitting, bad defense. We've seen this too many times before.

But this one feels different ....in a good way. This wasn't the umpteenth poorly played game in a row or another in a series of disappointing losses. This one happened after a series of good games and didn't prevent a series win over the team with the best record in MLB. And it didn't happen by playing an unnecessarily weak Sunday lineup. They gave it a shot. Bad games happen. They happen to all teams from time to time. A week ago the Phillies lost 18-3 to a weak Oakland team. As long as the Pirates can play well on a fairly consistent basis, these bad games won't be typical and will be quickly forgotten. I doubt the Cardinals are looking forward to facing Keller and Skenes the next couple days. The Bucs have now won 6 of 7 and, hopefully, will make it 8 of 9 soon. Bad games will happen. The trick is to minimize them.
Will take 2 0f 3 from the Phillies anytime. Since the bucs didn't score, the error by Cruz didn't cost the bucs
the game. However, it was a very bad error and opened thr flood gates.With Cruz, you have to take the good with the bad.
Bring on the Cards- Big, Big series
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As bad as the loss was, if not for Cruz dropping an inning ending double play, we go to the 9th down only 2. Fleming probably doesn't go back out. Bloop and a blast erases a game where I think there were only 2 really hard hit balls, both to CF by Cruz and Palacio. Imagine being in that dugout knowing the Phil's left this game for the taking, maybe the Pirates muster some energy for one half inning.

Of course they could go just as quietly as they did, but at least battling, because they went up there swinging with no plan.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:51 pm
Bobster wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:37 pm Bad game. Bad pitching, bad hitting, bad defense. We've seen this too many times before.

Will take 2 0f 3 from the Phillies anytime. Since the bucs didn't score, the error by Cruz didn't cost the bucs
the game. However, it was a very bad error and opened thr flood gates.With Cruz, you have to take the good with the bad.
Bring on the Cards- Big, Big series
I understand what you’re saying about taking the “good with the bad” regarding Cruz but the “bad” with him is his laziness, and that’s hard for me to “take”. Watching video of today’s game, I saw two plays that demonstrated his nonchalance and why it really angers me. On the Castellanos HR, Reynolds was running hard for the ball because he wasn’t certain it was a home run. In the meantime, Cruz turned and watched, never leaving the dirt. The second play was worse, when Palacios made the great catch in the notch, the deepest part of the park. Cruz turned and watched, took a couple of steps, barely leaving the infield. In both cases, the outfielder’s arms aren’t as good as his. Isn’t it best that he move as close to the outfielder as possible in order to take advantage of his arm? It’s just laziness and his teammates and coaches should be getting in his face about it.

This kid has phenomenal talent. His approach is deplorable. He’ll never be the player he could be unless he changes.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

BTW....3 sellouts. I was telling the Philly fan beside me, I can deal with a loss with 70 percent of the crowd the opposing team better than those #@!%$#!!! Cub fans with their W flag and singing that song
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

In response to Doc about Cruz. Many of us don't want him extended unless he gives full effort. You just never know which Cruz you are getting any given game. We saw a HOF talent previously just like Cruz who wasted a shot at greatness because he could care less about being great
Starling Marye was the same way. What a shame we are seeing a gifted player who doesn't seem to want to excel. Just play, have fun, and just get by on exceptional talent. A double and HR off a LHP last night, I thought he was ready to take off.

Back to reality