I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:37 pm
Javy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:42 pm Probably, Haines is responsible for the regression of hitters like Cruz, Hayes and Suwinski to a degree, but when you bring in players like Taylor, Tellez, Olivares and Grandal, who never were any great shakes as hitters to begin with, well, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

The offensive woes of this team also has deep roots within their development system. Davis never really developed as expected, neither did Gonzalez until recently. There HAS to be some organizational philosophy that they are using that just isn't cutting it. The analytics group needs to be s***canned and they need good old fashioned hitting instructors to turn it around.
Rather than being the lipstick, I would say that adding those guys was like adding more pigs to the sty. It made no sense but was typical for Cherington. The 2023 Pirates were a poor hitting team that needed an offensive upgrade. Tellez hit .219 and .215 the past 2 years. BC likely saw that he hit 35 HRs in 2022, which was his only big HR season, and gambled that he could do it again. But they needed a good hitter, not a gamble on a poor hitter. It's nice that Tellez finally started hitting and is all the way up to .230. But the first 2 months count, and they don't get a do-over for all the games where he was an automatic out.

Taylor hit .220 last year and came with the reputation of a good glove and weak bat. He's a luxury that a good hitting team can afford when they have a strong lineup around him. That's not a luxury a weak hitting team like the Pirates can afford. He's just one more sure out in a lineup with too many sure outs already.

Olivares is a journeyman utility outfielder. He's done nothing to earn a spot as a starting RFer. But there he is.

Grandal was an emergency replacement for Endy. He was available as a FA because he's 35 and doesn't hit or catch particularly well. BC may not have had much choice at the time he was signed but Bart or Delay would seem better options at this point.

Cherington's plan for improving the poor hitting 2023 team was to add more poor hitters and hope for a turnaround. He did not add a single hitter who inspired confidence. This type of malfeasance could get as GM fired. Unless the owner is just fine with it. :(
yes, for some reason the Ben decided it would be better to sign Tellez than Santana. Maybe it was a money decision as Santana is certainly hitting and fielding better than Tellez this year.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:56 pm
Javy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:42 pm Probably, Haines is responsible for the regression of hitters like Cruz, Hayes and Suwinski to a degree, but when you bring in players like Taylor, Tellez, Olivares and Grandal, who never were any great shakes as hitters to begin with, well, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

The offensive woes of this team also has deep roots within their development system. Davis never really developed as expected, neither did Gonzalez until recently. There HAS to be some organizational philosophy that they are using that just isn't cutting it. The analytics group needs to be s***canned and they need good old fashioned hitting instructors to turn it around.
Rather than being the lipstick, I would say that adding those guys was like adding more pigs to the sty. It made no sense but was typical for Cherington. The 2023 Pirates were a poor hitting team that needed an offensive upgrade. Tellez hit .219 and .215 the past 2 years. BC likely saw that he hit 35 HRs in 2022, which was his only big HR season, and gambled that he could do it again. But they needed a good hitter, not a gamble on a poor hitter. It's nice that Tellez finally started hitting and is all the way up to .230. But the first 2 months count, and they don't get a do-over for all the games where he was an automatic out.

Taylor hit .220 last year and came with the reputation of a good glove and weak bat. He's a luxury that a good hitting team can afford when they have a strong lineup around him. That's not a luxury a weak hitting team like the Pirates can afford. He's just one more sure out in a lineup with too many sure outs already.

Olivares is a journeyman utility outfielder. He's done nothing to earn a spot as a starting RFer. But there he is.

Grandal was an emergency replacement for Endy. He was available as a FA because he's 35 and doesn't hit or catch particularly well. BC may not have had much choice at the time he was signed but Bart or Delay would seem better options at this point.

Cherington's plan for improving the poor hitting 2023 team was to add more poor hitters and hope for a turnaround. He did not add a single hitter who inspired confidence. This type of malfeasance could get as GM fired. Unless the owner is just fine with it. :(
yes, for some reason the Ben decided it would be better to sign Tellez than Santana. Maybe it was a money decision as Santana is certainly hitting and fielding better than Tellez this year.
EC, it’s always a money decision.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:18 pm

EC, it’s always a money decision. I am old enough to know this but also old enough to forget it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:41 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:18 pm

EC, it’s always a money decision. I am old enough to know this but also old enough to forget it.
HAHA! I can relate.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bump.

Please keep the GDT ad nauseam free.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

After a disastrous 5th inning last night, Shelton sent Priester back out to have a disastrous 6th. As Shelton explained, "He's our length guy. He's a guy that's been a starter. We did a good job coming back and tying the game and needed probably another inning out of him clean, and then we get to our leverage guys."

The fact that Priester stunk did not play into the equation. For better or worse, a formula is a formula. Shelton seems incapable of making decisions on the fly. Even when it's obvious that following the formula will result in failure, Shelton sees no other option. Just like when he thinks the situation calls for a bunt. It doesn't matter who is batting or whether he is capable of bunting or even if he has 2 strikes. Shelton doesn't appear capable of creative thinking or alternative solutions. He can implement a formula. Nothing more.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The GM Show on The Fan this afternoon should be interesting. Ben Cherington has two deadline dates this coming week with the trade, and amateur draft signing deadline. I wonder how he will try to respond to these questions. I am sure he will give a general response to the trading deadline, and give some attempt to respond how the Pirates intend to sign some of the remaining draftee’s from a couple weeks ago.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

BC has a system he follows . DK Sports mentions it all the time. I`m sure Shelton has a script / gameplan that he follows every game no matter. Priester was getting some work because the system says so. I have betting systems that I follow! :lol: Ibet Shelton sends the gameplan to BC every day for approval. :P
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:23 am Bump.

Please keep the GDT ad nauseam free.
Good luck with that. There is a strong possibility it is going to get ugly.(normal for Bucs)
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:27 am After a disastrous 5th inning last night, Shelton sent Priester back out to have a disastrous 6th. As Shelton explained, "He's our length guy. He's a guy that's been a starter. We did a good job coming back and tying the game and needed probably another inning out of him clean, and then we get to our leverage guys."

The fact that Priester stunk did not play into the equation. For better or worse, a formula is a formula. Shelton seems incapable of making decisions on the fly. Even when it's obvious that following the formula will result in failure, Shelton sees no other option. Just like when he thinks the situation calls for a bunt. It doesn't matter who is batting or whether he is capable of bunting or even if he has 2 strikes. Shelton doesn't appear capable of creative thinking or alternative solutions. He can implement a formula. Nothing more.
This is what’s also known as “The Players Just Have to Play Better” strategy for winning. We’ve heard that over and over again, the results never changing. The reason: the players aren’t very good to begin with. They’re already playing to their capabilities. That’s why they’re playing for the Pirates and not for any of the good teams.