Official Game Thread - 5/31 - Bucs @ Jays

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/31 - Bucs @ Jays

Post by Doc »

Bucs go quietly in the 3rd. Still scoreless after two and a half.
Doc

Post by Doc »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:33 pm BC hopes Tellez return to Toronto will bring about a spark and get him rolling. :shock:

I need over 8 runs scored.
Getting him rolling would be easy. Lay him down at the top of the bleachers and give him a shove.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Falter gives up his first hit but Reynolds throws out Clement trying to stretch his single into a double. Falter still shining through three. No score.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bucs down in order in the 4th. We’re scoreless.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Falter gets three outs on eight pitches in the 4th. He’s become ridiculous. We remain scoreless.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Gonzales starts the 5th with his second single of the game.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:07 pm I despise Interleague play and I was surprised to learn that the team’s record in those games is 189-209, actually better than I thought.
They had the absolute worst interleague record for a good while from the inception of the idea. I think there was a number of years though, probably coinciding with the playoff teams, where they were blistering the AL, and got it back to a respectable record.

I didn't mind the one off series, the NY vs NY, Chic vs Chic, LA vs LA, SF vs Oak thing. It was fun watching their fan bases see both teams and loyalties pitted against one another. But the rest of us had the contrived series. We ended up with Detroit.

If they were going to do it, keep it as a one off thing, but rotate the teams. Of course, that means no NY vs NY thing every year. But when they moved Houston to the AL, we knew every day was an interleague play. We knew that meant the DH was coming.

So if they wanted to goof it up doing that, why on earth didn't they realign the teams, get rid of the NL and AL, call it East and West conferences, and just get on with the inevitable, instead of slowly dragggin it along to what we already know the conclusion to be.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tellez, yes Tellez, singles. Gonzales to second. No outs.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Rowdy singles behind another Gonzales hit. He has just now bought another month unfortunately. If he's going to do that to us, hit the ball out of the park.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:02 am
Doc wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:07 pm I despise Interleague play and I was surprised to learn that the team’s record in those games is 189-209, actually better than I thought.
They had the absolute worst interleague record for a good while from the inception of the idea. I think there was a number of years though, probably coinciding with the playoff teams, where they were blistering the AL, and got it back to a respectable record.

I didn't mind the one off series, the NY vs NY, Chic vs Chic, LA vs LA, SF vs Oak thing. It was fun watching their fan bases see both teams and loyalties pitted against one another. But the rest of us had the contrived series. We ended up with Detroit.

If they were going to do it, keep it as a one off thing, but rotate the teams. Of course, that means no NY vs NY thing every year. But when they moved Houston to the AL, we knew every day was an interleague play. We knew that meant the DH was coming.

So if they wanted to goof it up doing that, why on earth didn't they realign the teams, get rid of the NL and AL, call it East and West conferences, and just get on with the inevitable, instead of slowly dragggin it along to what we already know the conclusion to be.
I’ve long thought that realignment of the leagues is coming, and Interleague play was the means by making it easier to accept by the fans. Baseball, since its inception, has been a game based on regional rivalries. I sense realignment will be heavy on creating geographical rivalries when it happens.