Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'd rather have neither.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1333203D3C520 wrote: Do people still think Jaso is better than Alvarez?

The only person who thinks that is your favorite Pirate, Neal Huntington.

You know, the guy who'll have three winning seasons out of ten as GM of the Pirates after 2017.

What about every statistician ever?

I'd gladly answer this question, Dog...if I understood what you were asking me.

Sorry. You are probably right.
Bobster21

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't think Jaso will be very useful but he can play 1B and there was talk of him working out at 3B in ST. He made 1 appearance in the OF last year. But they could upgrade the bench with an INF-OF utility guy. Despite his bat, Pedro's days as a National Leaguer are over since he cannot be trusted to play anywhere in the field. It's not realistic to think the Pirates would carry someone who only pinch hits.
SammyKhalifa

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: I don't think Jaso will be very useful but he can play 1B and there was talk of him working out at 3B in ST. He made 1 appearance in the OF last year. But they could upgrade the bench with an INF-OF utility guy. Despite his bat, Pedro's days as a National Leaguer are over since he cannot be trusted to play anywhere in the field. It's not realistic to think the Pirates would carry someone who only pinch hits.

Yeah, despite the relative lack of talk about him in our prospect talks and lists and such coming up, Adam Frazier sure has carved out a pretty vital spot on the roster for now hasn't he?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Who is Mercer's back up?

Will they put Kang there? I doubt Harrison or Frazier. Does that mean it's just Hanson?

I hate having two light hitting bench players (Frazier, Hanson). The Pirates will have Stewart too.

Someone has to be added. And we need to hope Kang is the back up SS.

OrlandoMerced

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think Kang, Harrison, Hanson and Frazier could see some time at SS.
PMike

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by PMike »

This crazy infatuation with HRs...

Look around, rosters aren't loaded with every player in double digit HRs.  Hanson and Frazier are fine as bench spots. Hanson in particular has proven than he can his for some power.  He hit 16 HRs one year in the minors.  Frazier OPS .767 last year at the major league level.  His OPS was well over .800 over his last two years in the minors.  Both can play numerous position.  Both are fine as minor league spots.
steve49

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by steve49 »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: I am kind of serious.  I know it won't happen. Do people still think Jaso is better than Alvarez?

The bench needs help.  I wish they had a power bat.

I am not sure why Chris Carter and Mike Napoli are still out there?  Guys like Adam Lind, Billy Butler, and Gordon Beckham would be upgrades over Jaso too.

*Today is Pedro's birthday too.

It does appear that teams are valuing players that just hit HR's and contribute little else less and less. Here's a bit of read on it.

http://calltothepen.com/2017/02/05/powe ... alued-mlb/
dmetz

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by dmetz »

18253B363933381A3225343233570 wrote: I'd rather have neither.

I agree. I'd rather have neither
ChitownBucco

Sign Pedro, cut Jaso

Post by ChitownBucco »

if you do a search of top slugging % for players with a min of 300 ab's here are the guys worth mentioning in this thread, that were top 50

31. Kang

33. Sean Rodriguez

43. Pedro

49. Chris Carter

now if the Pirates were crazy enough to do what post 1 lays out....

maybe they would have shelled out the cash for Sean Rodriguez and the versatility in the field he brings......

right?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_ ... /minpa/300