Excitement

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Excitement

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Agree with SCBucco. It's amazing to me that the Pirates have essentially done nothing in the offseason. Hopefully that will change in the month ahead. You don't "stand pat" when you have a losing record and finished 25 games out of first. That's not a good business plan. And honestly we've actually done less than "stand pat" -- because this team's bench has been downgraded, particularly in the power department. I hope and trust that Neal has a plan to upgrade this team and make it better between now and April 3.
OrlandoMerced

Excitement

Post by OrlandoMerced »

37362D3C2A6A6D590 wrote: Excited?- Very!!

Optimistic?- Not so much.
Yeah me too. I think the back end of this rotation is going to completely tank.

Completely tank? I guess that would mean a repeat from last year. And while they haven't made a significant move, there is so much addition by subtraction from 2016 to 2015.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/2016.shtml

Look at what who wont be pitching for the Pirates:

Locke - 127 innings @ 5.44 ERA

Liriano - 113 innings @ 5.46 ERA

Niese - 110 innings @ 4.91 ERA

Vogelsong 82 innings @ 4.81 ERA

Nicasio's ERA was 5.83 in June when he was moved out of the rotation.

That's close to 500 innings, which is half your starting rotation for the season. There's no way they aren't better this year.

DemDog

Excitement

Post by DemDog »

4D6F7C616267606F4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: Agree with SCBucco. It's amazing to me that the Pirates have essentially done nothing in the offseason. Hopefully that will change in the month ahead. You don't "stand pat" when you have a losing record and finished 25 games out of first. That's not a good business plan. And honestly we've actually done less than "stand pat" -- because this team's bench has been downgraded, particularly in the power department. I hope and trust that Neal has a plan to upgrade this team and make it better between now and April 3.

Not that I do not empathize with your concern that the Bucs seemed to have stood pat in the off season I believe the OP is asking if you are the least bit excited that ST and soon the regular season is nearly here. All I seen to read these days is just how much the powers that be in Bucco land did not trade a ton of projects for that one starter who could make a big difference in this season. Or just the need to go out and sign a big money guy for the rotation. And then complaints about how they let a jack of all trades guy who had a monster season for them but never before played that well. They already have on of them in Jhay who is a starter at 2nd base and has not done that well the last two seasons.

Don't care what MLB team you root for there are going to be holes to fill on their teams. Some can afford to spend, spend, spend others like the Bucs not so much. Regardless I think we should look at the OP question and reply if we are excited for ST and the regular season to begin because we actually love baseball win or lose on the Bucs end.
Leyland1948

Excitement

Post by Leyland1948 »

46445E584E2B0 wrote: Does anyone know what day the equipment trucks leave Pittsburgh? I would guess late this week but can't find anything about it. To me, that's the real beginning of spring training and yes, I'm excited.
Equipment truck is leaving for Florida today.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Excitement

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D504E434C464D6F4750414746220 wrote: Excited?- Very!!

Optimistic?- Not so much.
Yeah me too. I think the back end of this rotation is going to completely tank.

Completely tank?  I guess that would mean a repeat from last year.  And while they haven't made a significant move, there is so much addition by subtraction from 2016 to 2015.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/2016.shtml

Look at what who wont be pitching for the Pirates:

Locke - 127 innings @ 5.44 ERA

Liriano - 113 innings @ 5.46 ERA

Niese - 110 innings @ 4.91 ERA

Vogelsong 82 innings @ 4.81 ERA

Nicasio's ERA was 5.83 in June when he was moved out of the rotation.

That's close to 500 innings, which is half your starting rotation for the season.  There's no way they aren't better this year.

This is the reason I am more optimistic than most. When Jeff Locke leads all starters in Wins, that can't be good.

OrlandoMerced

Excitement

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I meant from 2016 to 2017.
Bobster21

Excitement

Post by Bobster21 »

I look forward to baseball season starting, as always. My actual excitement level is tied to my Pirate expectations. I think the hitting and fielding are good enough to compete for a post season spot. The pitching is very questionable. It could be good if Cole, Taillon, Nova and any 2 of the youngsters come through. Or it could be awful if the 2016 Cole shows up and the youngsters struggle. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Quail

Excitement

Post by Quail »

Fortunately my excitement isn't tied to my expectations for the nominal success of the Pirates upcoming season. I am excited about seeing:

1. If Cutch's offensive decline is reversible and if his defensive decline can be mitigated by playing a new position

2. If Cole has overcome his injuries and is capable of pitching as he did in 2015.

3. If Taillon can avoid the infamous 'sophomore jinx' and pitch at the level he attained last year or even continue to progress.

4. Same as #3 but pertaining to Chad Kuhl

5. If the Pirates can find a #5 starter from their prospect pool or if they hand the job to Drew Hutchison as a face saving gesture in the aftermath of the negative blowback from the Liriano trade.

6. If Josh Bell is recovered from knee surgery in time to start the season.

7. If Jung Ho Kang is out of rehab, free to travel and not suspended by MLB for his collective errors of judgement regarding the mixing of driving and alcohol.

8. If Gregory Polanco can finally have that breakout year we've been waiting for.

9. If the new members of the coaching staff can prevent the Pirates from running into outs on the basepaths on a seemingly never ending basis.

10. If anyone in the bullpen is capable of being a reliable closer.

11. If John Jaso can perform any baseball activity at replacement level.

12. If someone is actually capable of playing shortstop adequately behind Jordy Mercer

13. If Cervelli is adequately recovered from hand surgery to regain a little power in his bat.

14. If this is the year of the return of the green weenie. :D

mouse

Excitement

Post by mouse »

LumberCo

Excitement

Post by LumberCo »

I am neither excited or depressed, just taking a wait and see attitude.