Phil Gosselin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Phil Gosselin

Post by dmetz »

He's also sporting a career .717 minor league OPS with Josh Harrison walk rates and power.  He was DFA'd.

This move is a market example that pirates fans terribly overvalue their prospects. Duncan was a talked about prospect!!  He was traded just in case someone claimed Gosselin lolol

Then again, maybe its an example of NH getting taken to the woodshed again. Lot of that going on last couple years.
fjk090852-7

Phil Gosselin

Post by fjk090852-7 »

After a review of his stats I do believe Phil Gosselin will be a nice addition to the bench. I am sure he won't provide the power that SRod provided last season, but he will have his share of hits when coming off the bench. He will also provide solid defense on days in which he will start. Kind of reminds me of the Mark Lemke and Jeff Blauser types of players the Braves had in the 1990s. They were not the Braves stars but they were tough outs in the clutch.
Bobster21

Phil Gosselin

Post by Bobster21 »

09203C29242B21747C717D450 wrote: I thought Frank Duncon was highly thought of? For a player DFA!

Here's an article about that.

http://piratesbreakdown.com/2017/02/10/ ... -rotation/
Bobster21

Phil Gosselin

Post by Bobster21 »

Prior to this deal the bench was shaping up as Freese, Stewart, Frazier, Jaso and Hanson. If Kang is delayed it opens a spot. But when he returns either Jaso or Hanson is likely to go (if not sooner).
fjk090852-7

Phil Gosselin

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I don't think Hanson is going to make it through the entire 2017 season. He may break camp with the Bucs, but I can see him struggling and then being released. I hope I am wrong,but I think he has fallen out of favor with the Bucs.
Bobster21

Phil Gosselin

Post by Bobster21 »

2C20217A737A727F78677D4A0 wrote: I don't think Hanson is going to make it through the entire 2017 season. He may break camp with the Bucs, but I can see him struggling and then being released. I hope I am wrong,but I think he has fallen out of favor with the Bucs.

That's probably the best bet right now. He has versatility and switch hitting going for him. But he'll have to perform when he gets the chance. If he does well then he'll be more valuable than Jaso. Otherwise, he'll be the likely candidate to go.
DemDog

Phil Gosselin

Post by DemDog »

What bothers me the most about this discussion is that the Buccos do not look at Hanson as the best possible fill-in as a UT guy even considering that Kang may or may not play soon or even later. I think Hanson has to have one heck of a ST to come north with the Buccos. I know he is out of options but hey, if you have to let him go maybe his loss is not so great in the eyes of NH and Co.
Bobster21

Phil Gosselin

Post by Bobster21 »

7D5C547D565E390 wrote: What bothers me the most about this discussion is that the Buccos do not look at Hanson as the best possible fill-in as a UT guy even considering that Kang may or may not play soon or even later.  I think Hanson has to have one heck of a ST to come north with the Buccos.  I know he is out of options but hey, if you have to let him go maybe his loss is not so great in the eyes of NH and Co.

I think the org's expectations for Hanson have declined over the last few seasons. I suspect that he's now viewed as a marginal player who might have use as a utility guy but not much else.
Ecbucs

Phil Gosselin

Post by Ecbucs »

68494168434B2C0 wrote: What bothers me the most about this discussion is that the Buccos do not look at Hanson as the best possible fill-in as a UT guy even considering that Kang may or may not play soon or even later.  I think Hanson has to have one heck of a ST to come north with the Buccos.  I know he is out of options but hey, if you have to let him go maybe his loss is not so great in the eyes of NH and Co.

Who knows, maybe he gets designated for assignment later and we get some other team's Duncan back
PMike

Phil Gosselin

Post by PMike »

I do not get the vitriol from the early posts in this thread. This seems like a pretty minor move from both sides. Duncan is a whole lot of second tier SP depth. He has only had one really good season in the minors. Plus, reports are that he doesn't have real dominant stuff. He wasn't a game changer or probably going to play for the Pirates unless a lot of bad stuff happened.

Gosselin isn't any all star. No one think he is. He may not even make the team. But they need some depth. Especially if Kang gets in trouble to the extent that he misses time. They can't afford to be relying on only Jaso and Hanson. This is simply another option...that they may not use. No big deal.