Rule Changes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rule Changes

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

2B29333523460 wrote: I could see teams being permitted an extra slot for a backup catcher, available in case of injury. As it now stands, managers can't use their backup catcher to hit at any point because he may be needed if there is an injury. But not just to add one more pitcher.

They can use back up catchers, they just choose not to. Personally, I would use the back up catcher more than save them "just in case". Any player can probably go back there and finish a game. Maybe not play well, but it is only a few innings. I do not know the emergency catcher this year for the Pirates.
johnfluharty

Rule Changes

Post by johnfluharty »

474245434B4158454C5F59542D0 wrote: 1 extra spot would be helpful in the situations where managers insist on carrying an extra pitcher and shorting their bench and likely wouldn't dilute talent much.  Some AAAA guys would just end up in the majors.

I don't think that's what would happen though.  The Cubs/Dodgers/Whatever would sign one more legitimate free agent away from other teams, leaving the Pirates or Reds with two extra AAAA guys.  If they had a slot for another guy they'd certainly use it, leaving less for everyone else.

IMO, a legit free agent is as likely to sign with us as with any other team when you are talking about the 26th spot on the roster. We are talking about guys who are not good enough to start on a daily basis.