Tuesday August 8th

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Tuesday August 8th

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

44637276736E51657273736E170 wrote: I agree VA that anything can still happen but I'm not going to get too excited just yet. Let's see how we do on this 7 game roadtrip to Detroit, Toronto this weekend, and then at Milwaukee for 2 next week. Go 5-2 in that stretch and get to 61-59 coming home for 4 games against the Cards next weekend and maybe we can start to get a little bit excited. This team still has a lot of work to do and is just as capable of crashing and burning as it is of going on a decent winning streak.

Trust me - I'm not expecting the Pirates to be very close much less actually won. But the reality is the division is wide open. And frankly, the season is a lot more fun with meaningful games.
Bobster21

Tuesday August 8th

Post by Bobster21 »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: I missed the end of the game, but how did Kuhl fair in the sixth inning? His line wasn't very good that inning. That's been his problem all year.
2 singles, a double, a wild pitch, a sac fly.
Bobster21

Tuesday August 8th

Post by Bobster21 »

Good game. My only complaint is the strict formula use of the BP. Schugel was very sharp in a perfect, 7-pitch 7th. But he was pulled and Kontos pitched a perfect 6-pitch 8th. Then, because there was an all-important save stat to be had, Rivero, who needed to be rested the day before, had to pitch the 9th. He pitched a perfect 12-pitch 9th. So it took 3 relievers to cover 3 innings even tho each was perfect. Now if those same guys are actually needed today and tomorrow, they might be unavailable by tomorrow and we could see Hudson in a pressure spot. I didn't expect 1 reliever to go 3 innings last nite but there was certainly no need to use all 3.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tuesday August 8th

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Good game. My only complaint is the strict formula use of the BP. Schugel was very sharp in a perfect, 7-pitch 7th. But he was pulled and Kontos pitched a perfect 6-pitch 8th. Then, because there was an all-important save stat to be had, Rivero, who needed to be rested the day before, had to pitch the 9th. He pitched a perfect 12-pitch 9th. So it took 3 relievers to cover 3 innings even tho each was perfect. Now if those same guys are actually needed today and tomorrow, they might be unavailable by tomorrow and we could see Hudson in a pressure spot. I didn't expect 1 reliever to go 3 innings last nite but there was certainly no need to use all 3.

I think by using all three they will all be available tonight. Those three are becoming the best three we got right now. No reason to tire them out when they can be used again.

I like the "formula". Come in, throw all you got for an inning, then get out. No reason to hold back in case you have to go again. The backend of the bullpen needs figured out.

Bobster21

Tuesday August 8th

Post by Bobster21 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Good game. My only complaint is the strict formula use of the BP. Schugel was very sharp in a perfect, 7-pitch 7th. But he was pulled and Kontos pitched a perfect 6-pitch 8th. Then, because there was an all-important save stat to be had, Rivero, who needed to be rested the day before, had to pitch the 9th. He pitched a perfect 12-pitch 9th. So it took 3 relievers to cover 3 innings even tho each was perfect. Now if those same guys are actually needed today and tomorrow, they might be unavailable by tomorrow and we could see Hudson in a pressure spot. I didn't expect 1 reliever to go 3 innings last nite but there was certainly no need to use all 3.

I think by using all three they will all be available tonight.  Those three are becoming the best three we got right now.  No reason to tire them out when they can be used again. 

I like the "formula".  Come in, throw all you got for an inning, then get out.  No reason to hold back in case you have to go again.  The backend of the bullpen needs figured out.

Yes, they should all be available tonight. But, as I said, if all 3 pitch again tonight, will they all be available tomorrow for a 3rd (or for Kontos a 4th) straight day?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tuesday August 8th

If he only throws six pitches, he should be available.

This happens all the time. The main issue is that the bullpen has been so bad that when a pitcher is pitching well, they stay in. That was what ruined them for the next game.

In this particular game, I liked the move. Schugel and Kontos are pitching well. They got in and got out real quick. That quick work saves them for another game in case they are needed again. A starter going longer or a big offensive production can save their arms too. A bad start and a big deficit can also come into play.
iabucco

Tuesday August 8th

Post by iabucco »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: I missed the end of the game, but how did Kuhl fair in the sixth inning? His line wasn't very good that inning. That's been his problem all year.

The sac fly was probably the hardest hit ball. The other hits were not hit hard just well placed. He did lose control a bit and a wild pitch allowed an extra run to score on a sac fly.
Bobster21

Tuesday August 8th

Post by Bobster21 »

454E464A4F4E551016615840494E4E0F424E210 wrote: If he only throws six pitches, he should be available.

This happens all the time.  The main issue is that the bullpen has been so bad that when a pitcher is pitching well, they stay in.  That was what ruined them for the next game. 

In this particular game, I liked the move.  Schugel and Kontos are pitching well.  They got in and got out real quick.  That quick work saves them for another game in case they are needed again.  A starter going longer or a big offensive production can save their arms too.  A bad start and a big deficit can also come into play. 
I guess the pitches they throw in the pen warming up don't count.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tuesday August 8th

052825343322357576470 wrote: If he only throws six pitches, he should be available.

This happens all the time.  The main issue is that the bullpen has been so bad that when a pitcher is pitching well, they stay in.  That was what ruined them for the next game. 

In this particular game, I liked the move.  Schugel and Kontos are pitching well.  They got in and got out real quick.  That quick work saves them for another game in case they are needed again.  A starter going longer or a big offensive production can save their arms too.  A bad start and a big deficit can also come into play. 
I guess the pitches they throw in the pen warming up don't count.

Is that number ever known? Is it the same number every time?

As a fan, I don't know. I do know teams factor those in. The same with regular warm up pitches between innings. Overall, this game had low pitch counts. I would assume Schugel, Kontos, and Rivero will be available (Kontos might be questionable).