A player the Bucs should attempt to sign

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

28212938364C0 wrote: Whats our payroll cap next year?   That's the variable.   Who wants to set the payroll for the sake of this thread?

it seems like probably 100-110 somewhere
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

525E5F040D040C01061903340 wrote: Just read that the Cards dfa'd Kevin Siegrist. He is a lefty who has struggled somewhat this year. He is also controllable through arbitration over the next two seasons. Possibly Rivero, Kontos and he would be building blocks for the bullpen in 2018.

Not opposed. in his first year in STL, he was very effective albeit in a small sample size (30 IP). 2014 wasn't good, but bounced back with very very solid 2015 and 2016 seasons. Worth the flier.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

3C373F3336372C696F182139303737763B37580 wrote: I think Nicholas Castellanos (3B, Tigers) is still on waivers too. I would take a flyer on him.  His average dipped this year and he makes a bunch of errors.  Former first round pick and will be 26 years old next year.  He might be worth a flyer as his arbitration is approaching.

We don't agree on much of anything, but I agree here.  With uncertainly of Kang ever playing again here and Freese being meh, worth a look. Hayes and Cru (if its at 3B) are still a ways away from the majors. We don't have good options here.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

547273647262110 wrote: I think Nicholas Castellanos (3B, Tigers) is still on waivers too. I would take a flyer on him.  His average dipped this year and he makes a bunch of errors.  Former first round pick and will be 26 years old next year.  He might be worth a flyer as his arbitration is approaching.

Possibility.  I'd definitely be turning over rocks to try to find a 3B

I would go after him too if the Tigers don't want too much for him. 

Not Keller or Glasnow or Meadows  or Tucker but Hayes, Kingham, one of Newman or Kramer would be ok.  I don't think he is on same kind of waivers as Nicosia.

MLB trade rumors posted this yesterday:

The Tigers are “disappointed” in Nick Castellanos’ defense at third base once again, as he’s taken a step back in that regard after seemingly making improvements in 2016. Heyman suggests that Castellanos may be available in trades this winter, and since he’s already cleared waivers, he could technically be moved anytime moving forward. (He wouldn’t be eligible for a postseason roster if he’s traded after today.)

I wouldn't include Newman for him at all.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

11191A2D3B1E3936580 wrote: I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani.  If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher.  He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan.  Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs.  I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing.  A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market.  Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers.  That's three of the big spenders right off the bat.  (Again, could be wrong on that.)   There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that.  I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base.  Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded.  Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first.  IDK.  All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year.  At this stage, it's all hype.  And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face.  But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.

Not opposed to taking a flier, but players from Japan are hit or miss. That is the scary thing.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

050C04151B610 wrote: Whats our payroll cap next year?   That's the variable.   Who wants to set the payroll for the sake of this thread?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

36372C3D2B6B6C580 wrote: Whats our payroll cap next year?   That's the variable.   Who wants to set the payroll for the sake of this thread?
Nutting is busily clipping coupons.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5747467167676B040 wrote:

Not opposed to taking a flier, but players from Japan are hit or miss.  That is the scary thing.

Who would you target?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote:

Not opposed to taking a flier, but players from Japan are hit or miss.  That is the scary thing.

Who would you target?

From Japan, or in general? How about someone who makes the roster better because he has a proven track record, not a reclamation project. Basically anyone who has talent and isn't on the downside of his career (no reclamation projects) would fall into the category as how I would target. That isn't realistic here because its not in the MO of this organization, the GM or the owner because it costs some money, which he has tons of.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

55454473656569060 wrote:

Who would you target?

From Japan, or in general?  How about someone who makes the roster better because he has a proven track record, not a reclamation project.  Basically anyone who has talent and isn't on the downside of his career (no reclamation projects) would fall into the category as how I would target.  That isn't realistic here because its not in the MO of this organization, the GM or the owner because it costs some money, which he has tons of.

You would only keep (maybe) four players from the current team and have no idea who to replace them with? You have no realistic targets?

You think Marte, Polanco, Cervelli, Mercer, and Freese stink yet you can't name or try to name a replacement?