Pitching woes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pitching woes

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Who on offense are you replacing? I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back.

I know many are down on Polanco, but he is only 25 years old and was injured all year. He might not be the super star some thought, but he is still a fine piece to a line up. Cervelli was hurt too, but Diaz isn't going anywhere. Only other player I can see moved is McCutchen in a trade.

OrlandoMerced

Pitching woes

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Legitimate competition for Polanco.

An upgrade on the left side of the infield (SS or 3B)
SammyKhalifa

Pitching woes

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D405E535C565D7F5740515756320 wrote: Legitimate competition for Polanco.

An upgrade on the left side of the infield (SS or 3B)

Second or third, and the other spot will be played by Harrison

I'm fine with short, let's not mess with it

1 OF

1 SP
Bobster21

Pitching woes

Post by Bobster21 »

414A424E4B4A511412655C444D4A4A0B464A250 wrote: Who on offense are you replacing?  I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back. 

I know many are down on Polanco, but he is only 25 years old and was injured all year.  He might not be the super star some thought, but he is still a fine piece to a line up.  Cervelli was hurt too, but Diaz isn't going anywhere.  Only other player I can see moved is McCutchen in a trade.

The problem as I see it is that their are too many players like Polanco who are adequate pieces to a lineup but too few who are impact players. Only Cutch and Bell seem able to carry a team offensively. The starters at every other position (other than the gap at 3B) are just nice pieces to a lineup. Lots of guys who can hit .250 to .270 with a handful of HRs. They need 1 or 2 more impact hitters.

As for the pitching woes, what will the BP look like next year? Currently, it looks like Rivero, Kontos, Hudson and 4 more from the endless number of relievers who appeared this year. They'll need better.
OrlandoMerced

Pitching woes

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Marte was an .800 OPS guy the last 40 games or so. I'm not concerned with him either.

Mercer is hovering around replacement level, Harrison is locked into a starting spot, but I would move him if value was offered in return. Having Freese and Frazier as the first two guys off of the bench would make for a strong bench, I'd also like Mercer as a backup SS off of the bench, but he's either the starting SS or a non-tender candidate.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pitching woes

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: Who on offense are you replacing?  I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back. 

I know many are down on Polanco, but he is only 25 years old and was injured all year.  He might not be the super star some thought, but he is still a fine piece to a line up.  Cervelli was hurt too, but Diaz isn't going anywhere.  Only other player I can see moved is McCutchen in a trade.

The problem as I see it is that their are too many players like Polanco who are adequate pieces to a lineup but too few who are impact players. Only Cutch and Bell seem able to carry a team offensively. The starters at every other position (other than the gap at 3B) are just nice pieces to a lineup. Lots of guys who can hit .250 to .270 with a handful of HRs. They need 1 or 2 more impact hitters.

I agree to a point. I do think a team of above average can carry an offense. I think Marte can lead on the field and Harrison has been an all star a few times. McCutchen can repeat his 2017 season. Having four players who are above average at their position and having no slouches at the others can score runs. Kang would be a fifth "star".
Bobster21

Pitching woes

Post by Bobster21 »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: Who on offense are you replacing?  I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back. 

I agree to a point.  I do think a team of above average can carry an offense.  I think Marte can lead on the field and Harrison has been an all star a few times.  McCutchen can repeat his 2017 season.  Having four players who are above average at their position and having no slouches at the others can score runs.  Kang would be a fifth "star".

The only way this offense can get to the post season is if the team has consistently outstanding pitching.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pitching woes

426F62737465723231000 wrote: Who on offense are you replacing?  I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back. 

I agree to a point.  I do think a team of above average can carry an offense.  I think Marte can lead on the field and Harrison has been an all star a few times.  McCutchen can repeat his 2017 season.  Having four players who are above average at their position and having no slouches at the others can score runs.  Kang would be a fifth "star".

The only way this offense can get to the post season is if the team has consistently outstanding pitching. 

The Pirates have to think they can have a team ERA under 4.00 next year considering the current rotation and knowing who will be back in the bullpen and improving the bullpen. Cole and Nova can be better and you would think the rookies would improve at least a little. I know all assumptions, but the mindset the Pirates probably have.

Can this offense compete with a team ERA under 4.00?
dmetz

Pitching woes

Post by dmetz »

I'm sure we will have top 4 NL pitching next year to go along with our "fine" offense after only adding a 3bman.

Holy kool-aid
johnfluharty

Pitching woes

Post by johnfluharty »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: Who on offense are you replacing?  I only see one glaring spot at 3B, but that could be solved if Kang makes it back. 

The Pirates have to think they can have a team ERA under 4.00 next year considering the current rotation and knowing who will be back in the bullpen and improving the bullpen.  Cole and Nova can be better and you would think the rookies would improve at least a little.  I know all assumptions, but the mindset the Pirates probably have.

Can this offense compete with a team ERA under 4.00?

I think their will be too much turn-over in the pen to make that bold a prediction, but it might be safe to say we have a chance of being slightly under 4 in the starting rotation. And no, I don't think this offense can compete with an era slightly under 4. We need some significant upgrades.