Extend Keller now

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Extend Keller now

Post by Possum »

Should the Bucs extend Keller this off-season? If they do how much per year? How many years? I think he is the key to having a competitive team when the kids finally come through to make the Bucs a better team.
What do you guys say?
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Re: Extend Keller now

Post by Doc »

I would like him to be extended but I have no good idea as to how much it will take. I avoid thinking about salaries.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

He's going to get a nice bump in pay being an Arb 2 guy. I'm okay with them trying to do a 4-5 year deal, buying out his two remaining arbitration years and 2-3 years FA.

However, I'm guessing he'll be looking for a much longer deal.

If they can't extend him, or don't expect to extend him, I'm not sure how to go about it with him. Two years of control is better than one year of control, but I could see them keeping him all of 2024, and trading him for the 2025 season.

He's definitely in their price range, no matter how they go about it. We're not talking about someone even on the level of Marcus Stroman, who was a similar age in his arbitration years in Toronto, where he actually went to arbitration twice, winning then losing. He was traded in his arb 3 season, and was a Super Two. He accepted the qualifying offer from the Mets his first year of FA.

Minus the 4th year of arbitration, there's a similarity between the two, with the exception of Stroman being the much more accomplished pitcher. Maybe the Pirates just keep Keller for the next two years, and give a qualifying offer after the 2025 season.

As far as trading him, I don't think we're getting anything earth moving in return, a fungible MLB ready guy or a couple of higher upside prospects.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the major league trade rumors site expects free agent to be Jordan Montgomery to get $100 million in his next contract. I don't understand all the ins and outs of this, but is 3 years 45 million enough to get a short deal and still have be a free agent at age 30? Or do you offer 4 years and 65 million?

Would he take either of those? Seems like price of starting pitchers is just up there and this is still less than the 35 million that Cole makes.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I think they need to extend Keller if he's willing to sign. Hopefully, he's not just waiting for his chance to leave. In a recent Cherington interview, when asked if they could compete in 2024, he said that was optimistic and he honestly just wanted to improve. But at some point he has to try and tie it all together. Years of control for Keller has to be a big factor. Keller is a FA in 2026 and if they can't extend him, he'll likely be traded during the 2025 season.

So where does that leave Cherington's plan, if there is one beyond just showing improvement. He'll have Cruz in 2024. Hayes seems to have upped his game. Reynolds is consistent. Suwinski brings power. Endy, Davis, Peguero, Triolo and Bae won't be raw rookies. If 2024 is not the target year to compete, how do they do that in 2025 if they plan to trade Keller? Extending Keller should be a priority as well as bringing a couple of effective starting pitchers. That will cost money and Nutting likely is not up for that. But I don't see any other way.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I would try to low ball him. I don `t trust him.

Was just reading Miggy is playing last games with Tigers. Guy was awesome, and I was looking over his stats. He hasn`t done much for 7 seasons from age 34-40 and made 240+ million.The Tigers didn`t not fare well with that big contract. I wonder who will regret paying Ohtani ?
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:25 pm I would try to low ball him. I don `t trust him.

Was just reading Miggy is playing last games with Tigers. Guy was awesome, and I was looking over his stats. He hasn`t done much for 7 seasons from age 34-40 and made 240+ million.The Tigers didn`t not fare well with that big contract. I wonder who will regret paying Ohtani ?
Not to worry- it won't be the bucs!