5/4 Pirates vs Reds. Cervelli's return

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6D646C7D73090 wrote:

Actually, maybe we need a couple OFers.  Polanco has stunned me with his lack of development. 

What did you expect from Polanco?  Here is some perspective:

24 year old Polanco: 22 HR, 86 RBI, .258 ave, .373 obp, .463 slg, .786 ops

24 year old McCutchen: 23 HR, 89 RBI, .259 ave, .364 obp, .456 slg, .820 ops

Almost 100 AB's into this season, I expected more than a .313 slugging percentage with 4 rbi's.

25 year old McCutchen had 31 HR 96 RBI, .327 ave

I'm not getting that feel for Polanco this year

Haha.  Don't use rational thought, it will only confuse him.  Polanco is incredibly disappointing this season.   Unfortunately, without Kang and Marte, our lineup is screwed.   

Come on guys, if this team manages to win 75, it's going to be a miracle.   But there's always 2020.

Personally I don't know what so many have  against 2020 that you'd try to win now.   What did 2020 do to you?   We're going to be stacked

I see you have something against Cutch!
mouse

Post by mouse »

To me, one big difference was that the 24 year old Cutch could catch the ball. If a fielder allows two runs to score because he can't catch the ball, we should be subtracting two runs from his RBI total, or something equally visible.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

As far as hitting goes, Polanco is hardly alone in being disappointing at this early stage of the season. So I'm no more concerned about him than I am of anyone else. So I guess that's consistent with Dogknot's comments. However (and this is also consistent with Dogknot), I am very disappointed with Polanco's fielding and have been since day 1. He just looks awkward and uncoordinated in the OF. Most MLB outfielders look smooth and effortless on fly balls. Polanco has always looked like a jailbreak chasing fly balls. He scares me.
rucker59@gmail.com

614C41505746511112230 wrote: As far as hitting goes, Polanco is hardly alone in being disappointing at this early stage of the season. So I'm no more concerned about him than I am of anyone else. So I guess that's consistent with Dogknot's comments. However (and this is also consistent with Dogknot), I am very disappointed with Polanco's fielding and have been since day 1. He just looks awkward and uncoordinated in the OF. Most MLB outfielders look smooth and effortless on fly balls. Polanco has always looked like a jailbreak chasing fly balls. He scares me.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking his batting dropped off significantly the last couple months of 2016. If my memory is correct, then this is a more prolonged slump then just April.

Defense - pretty stunning actually.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1314020A0413545821060C00080D4F020E0C610 wrote: As far as hitting goes, Polanco is hardly alone in being disappointing at this early stage of the season. So I'm no more concerned about him than I am of anyone else. So I guess that's consistent with Dogknot's comments. However (and this is also consistent with Dogknot), I am very disappointed with Polanco's fielding and have been since day 1. He just looks awkward and uncoordinated in the OF. Most MLB outfielders look smooth and effortless on fly balls. Polanco has always looked like a jailbreak chasing fly balls. He scares me.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking his batting dropped off significantly the last couple months of 2016.  If my memory is correct, then this is a more prolonged slump then just April.

Defense - pretty stunning actually.

I think you're onto something. I just checked his monthly BAs from 2016.
April .302
May .317
June .272
July .243
August .221
September .191

And his defense has never been good.

notes34

Post by notes34 »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote:

Actually, maybe we need a couple OFers.  Polanco has stunned me with his lack of development. 

What did you expect from Polanco?  Here is some perspective:

24 year old Polanco: 22 HR, 86 RBI, .258 ave, .373 obp, .463 slg, .786 ops

24 year old McCutchen: 23 HR, 89 RBI, .259 ave, .364 obp, .456 slg, .820 ops

Polanco's .OBP was only .323.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3D3A2C242A3D7A760F28222E2623612C20224F0 wrote: No, I am asking you a question.  I just asked it more than once since you never answered.

I think my question is valid since their numbers were very similar. (I was shocked how similar, actually)

I know the problems with the team.  I have said them many, many times.  Polanco is part of that problem right now.  I am not defending his play.  This should be a big year for him and I think he has time to turn it around. Someone else turned their career into an All Star in May at age 25 too.   

Yes. You did. Keep your opinions about what I think, unless I've actually shared what I think, to yourself. Do not presume to know what I think and if you must do so, keep your opinion to yourself.

Sorry if this made you upset or was offensive, but it was just two questions after your statement about Polanco.

Then I threw in a comparison player with stats showing that Polanco still has time to improve.

McCutchen only had one month in 2011 where he batted over .300 (June .347). He batted .171 in September too.
rucker59@gmail.com

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: No, I am asking you a question.  I just asked it more than once since you never answered.

I think my question is valid since their numbers were very similar. (I was shocked how similar, actually)

I know the problems with the team.  I have said them many, many times.  Polanco is part of that problem right now.  I am not defending his play.  This should be a big year for him and I think he has time to turn it around. Someone else turned their career into an All Star in May at age 25 too.   

Yes. You did. Keep your opinions about what I think, unless I've actually shared what I think, to yourself. Do not presume to know what I think and if you must do so, keep your opinion to yourself.

Sorry if this made you upset or was offensive, but it was just two questions after your statement about Polanco.   

Then I threw in a comparison player with stats showing that Polanco still has time to improve.

McCutchen only had one month in 2011 where he batted over .300 (June .347).  He batted .171 in September too.

Dog, I'm not trying start something, but you took a simple observation I made during another loss and pretty much challenged me in my observation.

I said "I'm stunned by Polanco's lack of development" you countered by asking "what did you expect" and then projected Polanco against Cutch.

When I repeated in my second post that my concern is Polanco alone you said the following: "It's like you are calling Polanco a "bust" already (Polanco had 182 less plate appearances entering age 25 season too).  Did you think the same thing about McCutchen's development after his 24 year old season?"

I never said or even hinted that I think Polanco is a bust, I never said or hinted anything about Cutch. I don't know why my concern about Polanco's trajectory would prompt such an assignment of my intent.

I tried again to say that my statement is based solely on the expectation I (and many) have for Polanco. Nothing more, nothing less. I used the play-by-play guys as examples of others raising the same Q. I have a lot of respect for Jack Z and he was saying pretty much the same thing. But you ignored that, just treated my comment as somehow unfair.

I have no interest in starting a fight. You're a good poster with a unique prospective. Personally, I don't think you like that I call the FO out. That's fine if that's the case, you can disagree with me. But I've "earned" my right to state my feelings. AND I've been willing to stand by my objections ( that began after 2015 season and as I said above, I think I've been pretty darn "right on" with my concerns sense then) while remaining loyal to the team AND organization (not that I think the organization has any loyalty toward me).

I don't feel like Polanco is progressing the way I was expecting. Maybe my expectations are out of wack. Maybe you have another way to consider Polanco's trajectory, but I don't know why you would not be able to consider my simple point as legit for me even if you have other opinions.

Peace.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This is a discussion board. I asked some questions, that was all. I am not fighting or want to fight. You can think Polanco is a bust (not saying you did, I was asking if you thought so). I just brought up McCutchen to show how he progressed and how it is very similar to Polanco so far. I thought it was a good comparison.

You can call out anyone you want. I come here for the discussion in which I enjoy.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: This is a discussion board.  I asked some questions, that was all.  I am not fighting or want to fight.  You can think Polanco is a bust (not saying you did, I was asking if you thought so).  I just brought up McCutchen to show how he progressed and how it is very similar to Polanco so far.  I thought it was a good comparison. 

You can call out anyone you want.  I come here for the discussion in which I enjoy.

I don't know why you don't realize that what you keep saying is statistically incorrect. 24 year old season is the only one that's even close between the two offensively, and cutch still has him clearly.

At 22 Cutch put up an .836 OPS, Polanco .650
At 23 Cutch put up an .814 OPS, Polanco .701
At 24 Cutch put up an .820 OPS, Polanco .786
At 25 thru April cutch is .723 OPS, Polanco .671

Cutch has it where it counts more too. More power (.458 slugging vs .404) much better OBP (.374 vs .318) and 2 all-stars vs 0.

Are you looking at batting average or what? Because I don't even see that.