The 'Ol What The Heck Thread - Pirates and Phils game 1 2

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6F405756405C4E46250 wrote: Phillies have some bats down low that are just about ripe. They will be laughing at us next year. They can and will spend . Joke will be on us.

Very True, though they don't have much pitching in the minors

Hoskins

Cozens

Quinn

Kingery

Pitching, though, is thin

Maybe. But when they need it they'll come up with pitching.
mouse

Post by mouse »

The idea that a team doesn't have any pitching was mentioned with the Cubs as well. I think big market teams can get away with building on position players. The Phils have some good young talent and the money to pick up what they need in the pitching market. I would expect them to be strong starting in about two years. From what I hear, their best talent is below the AAA level. What little I've seen of their short season team suggests they have good talent there, and if they quit playing us, they will be in position to add more quality talent this year.
rucker59@gmail.com

4C4E545244210 wrote: The idea that a team doesn't have any pitching was mentioned with the Cubs as well. I think big market teams can get away with building on position players. The Phils have some good young talent and the money to pick up what they need in the pitching market. I would expect them to be strong starting in about two years. From what I hear, their best talent is below the AAA level. What little I've seen of their short season team suggests they have good talent there, and if they quit playing us, they will be in position to add more quality talent this year.

The Cubs rocket assent is a sobering reality for a lot of MLB. BIG mkts are treating the draft and player develop as priorities every bit as much as a team like the Pirates. But the Cubs and the rest pluck a couple pitchers and boom, they're ready to compete.

The Yankees are ready to be the next Cubs. Philly. I think the days of Big Mkt teams having a bloated payroll with a bunch of over-the-hill-over-paid "big names" are gone.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5F584E46485F18146D4A404C4441034E42402D0 wrote: The idea that a team doesn't have any pitching was mentioned with the Cubs as well. I think big market teams can get away with building on position players. The Phils have some good young talent and the money to pick up what they need in the pitching market. I would expect them to be strong starting in about two years. From what I hear, their best talent is below the AAA level. What little I've seen of their short season team suggests they have good talent there, and if they quit playing us, they will be in position to add more quality talent this year.

The Cubs rocket assent is a sobering reality for a lot of MLB.  BIG mkts are treating the draft and player develop as priorities every bit as much as a team like the Pirates. But the Cubs and the rest pluck a couple pitchers and boom, they're ready to compete.

The Yankees are ready to be the next Cubs.  Philly.  I think the days of Big Mkt teams having a bloated payroll with a bunch of over-the-hill-over-paid "big names" are gone. 

Free agency has a signification impact on the ability of small market teams to develop their own pitchers because it usually takes a few years for a pitcher to reach his potential and after 6 years he can leave for big money if he reaches that potential. Not too many pitching prospects hit the ground running. Taillon is already very good but was a 2nd overall draft pick. And he'll get even better. Hopefully the Pirates will get 6 solid years from him before he leaves for more money than they will pay him. The clock is already ticking on Cole and they've had only 1 truly outstanding season from him so far. And he was a #1 overall pick. Most pitchers who come thru the system will not have the pedigree of Taillon or Cole and will take at least 2-3 years of their 6 year pre-free agency window to reach their potential. If a team can't or won't pay those pitchers to stay or else pay to replace them with already productive pitchers, it creates a never ending hole.

But the Pirates are actually in a good situation with their starters. They could afford Nova because Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Glasnow, Brault or anyone else is not highly paid. Cole isn't a FA until 2020. This is the time they should be taking advantage of that financial flexibility they gained the past 2 years when they lowered payroll to add talent to compete. But I don't think that's going to happen.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

745954454253440407360 wrote: The idea that a team doesn't have any pitching was mentioned with the Cubs as well. I think big market teams can get away with building on position players. The Phils have some good young talent and the money to pick up what they need in the pitching market. I would expect them to be strong starting in about two years. From what I hear, their best talent is below the AAA level. What little I've seen of their short season team suggests they have good talent there, and if they quit playing us, they will be in position to add more quality talent this year.

The Cubs rocket assent is a sobering reality for a lot of MLB.  BIG mkts are treating the draft and player develop as priorities every bit as much as a team like the Pirates. But the Cubs and the rest pluck a couple pitchers and boom, they're ready to compete.

The Yankees are ready to be the next Cubs.  Philly.  I think the days of Big Mkt teams having a bloated payroll with a bunch of over-the-hill-over-paid "big names" are gone. 

Free agency has a signification impact on the ability of small market teams to develop their own pitchers because it usually takes a few years for a pitcher to reach his potential and after 6 years he can leave for big money if he reaches that potential. Not too many pitching prospects hit the ground running. Taillon is already very good but was a 2nd overall draft pick. And he'll get even better. Hopefully the Pirates will get 6 solid years from him before he leaves for more money than they will pay him. The clock is already ticking on Cole and they've had only 1 truly outstanding season from him so far. And he was a #1 overall pick. Most pitchers who come thru the system will not have the pedigree of Taillon or Cole and will take at least 2-3 years of their 6 year pre-free agency window to reach their potential. If a team can't or won't pay those pitchers to stay or else pay to replace them with already productive pitchers, it creates a never ending hole.

But the Pirates are actually in a good situation with their starters. They could afford Nova because Cole, Taillon, Kuhl, Williams, Glasnow, Brault or anyone else is not highly paid. Cole isn't a FA until 2020. This is the time they should be taking advantage of that financial flexibility they gained the past 2 years when they lowered payroll to add talent to compete. But I don't think that's going to happen. 

the other thing about pitchers taking time to develop is that for teams like the Bucs that need to rely on them, there will be more losses as those pitchers gain experience. That makes it harder to win the division.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6E415657415D4F47240 wrote: Phillies have some bats down low that are just about ripe. They will be laughing at us next year. They can and will spend . Joke will be on us.

Very True, though they don't have much pitching in the minors

Hoskins

Cozens

Quinn

Kingery

Pitching, though, is thin

They will act like a real MLB franchise and supplement through free agency, and or trades.
rucker59@gmail.com

I may be the only person watching today, but a comment regarding Taillon: he certainly was not his best; he only lasted 5 innings due to pitch count; but he was able to methodically work out of all trouble. Breaking ball looked unfair to the batters.

Really great to watch someone struggle yet still manage to dominate.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Tuned in with you in UT, VA. Taillon was fun to watch with 9 K's in 5. Every one of our pitchers would love to struggle like that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2720363E3027606C153238343C397B363A38550 wrote: I may be the only person watching today, but a comment regarding Taillon: he certainly was not his best; he only lasted 5 innings due to pitch count; but he was able to methodically work out of all trouble.  Breaking ball looked unfair to the batters.

Really great to watch someone struggle yet still manage to dominate. 
Yes but now it's time for Watson to lose the game.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

And predictedly he immediately loads the bases?