Orioles vs Pirates - Last Home Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: McCutchen with a nice play. They tested his arm and his arm won.

Pedro was a big part of the playoff success. Can't take that away from him or any other core players on those teams.

When you say playoff success, are you referring to the wildcard game we lost, or the divisional series we lost?

The three years the Pirates made the playoffs. I didn't think that comment was that confusing.

His point is that while we got there we promptly fell on our face and made a quick exit.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

363334323A3029343D2E28255C0 wrote: McCutchen with a nice play. They tested his arm and his arm won.

Pedro was a big part of the playoff success. Can't take that away from him or any other core players on those teams.

When you say playoff success, are you referring to the wildcard game we lost, or the divisional series we lost?

The three years the Pirates made the playoffs. I didn't think that comment was that confusing.

His point is that while we got there we promptly fell on our face and made a quick exit. 
I think most fans want more than to merely make the playoffs and then quickly go home. There's a difference between making the playoffs and "playoff success." Losing is not success. Just getting there is not enough. That sets the bar WAY too low. At least win one freaking playoff series before we give them a parade for their "playoff success." Or maybe we should have a ticker tape parade to celebrate the 2017 season. After all, they've won 73 times. And if they avoid losing 90, Lloyd McClendon can come back and give them a champagne party---again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You are just spinning words. After 20 losing seasons, making the playoffs three years in a row is a success. They were successful seasons. Of course, I (we) want more. I (we) want to see a World Series.

I am not sure how old people are on this board, but I have been alive for 13 winning seasons. I only remember six of them as I was a teenager in the early 90's. I don't even remember the 1988 season or the buzz that year (if there was a buzz). The team that just made a run and made the playoffs will be special to me. I was an adult and could appreciate the games. I didn't need my parents to take me to games. They are all on TV and not just the 20 games a year KBL aired (big deal to me when the Pirates were on TV as a teenager). It was very enjoyable and the best time I had being a Pirates fan.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1A1211263015323D530 wrote: Don't get your hopes up on a potential Harrison trade. Harrison is a good player, but he's not a difference maker. Nobody's going to give an A level prospect for him.

You might be right in that he might be more valuable than he has worth (if that makes any sense at all).
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: You are just spinning words.  After 20 losing seasons, making the playoffs three years in a row is a success.  They were successful seasons.  Of course, I (we) want more.  I (we) want to see a World Series. 

I am not sure how old people are on this board, but I have been alive for 13 winning seasons.  I only remember six of them as I was a teenager in the early 90's.  I don't even remember the 1988 season or the buzz that year (if there was a buzz).  The team that just made a run and made the playoffs will be special to me.  I was an adult and could appreciate the games.  I didn't need my parents to take me to games.  They are all on TV and not just the 20 games a year KBL aired (big deal to me when the Pirates were on TV as a teenager).  It was very enjoyable and the best time I had being a Pirates fan.

Talk about spinning words Dog. You do a darn good job of doing that in your own right and then when someone calls you on it you complain that someone is baiting you.

So you've been around for 13 winning seasons. Good for you but none of them were successful I assume you say you have not seen a World Series winner in Pittsburgh. Those 13 seasons were not really successful seasons just winning seasons. Successful is when you win it all. The World Series.

I have been around for 3 WS victories for the Buccos and consider every other season as being unsuccessful as there is no better feeling that the euphoria that comes with rooting for a WS winner.

So don't attempt to give me lessons on what is successful or not. You haven't been around nearly as long as me and a lot of other posters, Bobster, MaineBucs, Quail to name a few. You're just a kid who is just made the ML and still needs to grow and accept the guidance of guys who have been there and done that.

All the ballyhoo about the winning season being successful is just PR talk to entice fans to buy tix and enrich the ownership nothing more. You do that when you win the WS!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1979 is in there, I just don't remember it. I wasn't able to enjoy it. I enjoyed 1990-1992, but I was a kid. I really enjoyed 2013-2015 for the reasons I stated.

Compared to 20 years or losing, making the playoffs is successful in my mind. They were great seasons and the best seasons I have enjoyed in my life.

You are lucky that you got to see three World Series. I have not. I don't know that feeling, but that doesn't take away the excitement or the praise I have for those teams/players in that short window. That's al I have.

I wasn't giving you and anyone a lesson. I wasn't attempting either.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

565D55595C5D460305724B535A5D5D1C515D320 wrote: You are just spinning words.  After 20 losing seasons, making the playoffs three years in a row is a success.  They were successful seasons. 
464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: 1979 is in there, I just don't remember it. I wasn't able to enjoy it. I enjoyed 1990-1992, but I was a kid. I really enjoyed 2013-2015 for the reasons I stated.

Compared to 20 years or losing, making the playoffs is successful in my mind. They were great seasons and the best seasons I have enjoyed in my life.

You are lucky that you got to see three World Series. I have not. I don't know that feeling, but that doesn't take away the excitement or the praise I have for those teams/players in that short window. That's al I have.

I wasn't giving you and anyone a lesson. I wasn't attempting either.
That's the problem, Dog. You argue with others about what constitutes success but then admit that your definition only applies to your limited experience. For those of us who experienced actual playoff wins and WS championships as well as younger fans who don't want to settle for less, our definition of success is more than just ending 20 years of losing only to lose playoffs. It's fine for you to feel as you do. But keep in mind that others have had different experiences and different expectations and--for very good reasons--have a totally different concept of what a successful season is. My advice would be not to argue with others about what you think they should accept as "success" when you're only basing it on how it compares to 20 years of losing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I didn't think I was doing that. Success can differentiate. I was giving the board my opinion on how those were successful seasons and even explained in why I consider them a success.

Seasons can have more success than other seasons even if a World Series isn't won. I have been told many times how the Indians have been more successful than the Pirates and yet the Indians have the longest WS drought in the sport.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If the only measure of success is whether you're the very best in the world, there are a lot of miserable, failures of human beings out there.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

172529293D0F2C25282D2225440 wrote: If the only measure of success is whether you're the very best in the world, there are a lot of miserable, failures of human beings out there. 

I agree with you Sammy as far as the real world goes. I have worked in the past with many mentally and physically handicapped individuals and have seen them do things that you and I would have no problem doing. When that person giving his/her best effort accomplishes something even something that we see being easy it is indeed a success in their lives. I can still see a lady who did some athletic things not too well but she gave her all and got a Gold Medal at Special Olympics.

What we are talking about here are not those who are challenged but about pro athletes who are some of the best conditioned and coached people in the world and who are supposed to give their best even when they are sleeping. I consider those folks to be successful when they or their team are the best in the world at what they do.

Now that I have ranted I do not want to belittle you for your statement but wanted to clarify where I was coming from when I talk about the Buccos success.