June 9th. Fish verses Buccos #2. If anyone cares....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: Yes, but plenty of financial flexibility.

regardless of whether you think NH and Clint are doing good or bad jobs this is the type of season that costs people jobs.

If the team struggles all season and ends up with 75 wins or less I think both will be gone. 

Nutting won't raise payroll but will say he is doing something by changing decision makers.  He appreciates the turnaround they made in organization but it is time for someone else to take the team to the next level.

Need to do something to stimulate ticket sales for 2018.
I think NH is safe. I think it all comes down to "spin" for Nutting. He can blame Hurdle for losing. But if he blames NH, he's saying he was wrong about hiring TBMTIB and has to start over with another rebuilding. He probably also realizes he may not find a better GM at putting a team together on a shoestring budget. I believe NH's off season failures are largely due to the financial constraints imposed on him. That won't change with a new GM. And since it seems the team will always be put together cheaply, it requires a manager clever enough to get the absolute most out of his roster. Hurdle, with his concrete thinking, adherence to formulas and poor game management is not that manager. But then, I'm not sure who is.    

what Bobster says makes sense but I expect next year's season tickets sales to drop dramatically. Also, NH's plan will have failed and if NH does come back I can see replacing Hurdle only working for a season unless 2018 team is a winner (around 90 games not just 82).

Don't know if Nutting would admit that he needs another GM or not that is a good question.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Tom Price being groomed as the new manger going forward. Will work cheaply!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

These last two games have been pathetic, embarrassing, hopeless, etc..., etc...

But they don't bother me nearly as much as the two losses in Baltimore. In those games we were clearly the better team in 17+ of the 18 innings ... only to inexcusably GIVE both games away in a manner that could have EASILY been avoided with better decision-making. Those losses were back-breakers, and they may have sent this team into a long-term tail spin.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

On the bright side, after we finish playing a "bad" Marlins team, we get 7 games at home with the Rockies and Cubs. That should go well.

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1735263B383D3A35162137373B540 wrote: These last two games have been pathetic, embarrassing, hopeless, etc..., etc...

But they don't bother me nearly as much as the two losses in Baltimore. In those games we were clearly the better team in 17+ of the 18 innings ... only to inexcusably GIVE both games away in a manner that could have EASILY been avoided with better decision-making. Those losses were back-breakers, and they may have sent this team into a long-term tail spin.
I completely agree. This team looks like it's collapsed after that fiasco.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Not a good time either for this Pirates team to start going down the toilet and slipping further in the standings with the Penguins cup run and playoffs being over here one way or another within the next 4-6 days. The Pirates are going to be the only game in town then and the Penguins aren't gonna be around to help the Pirates hide this pathetic teams issues both on and off the field.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

634455515449764255545449300 wrote: Not a good time either for this Pirates team to start going down the toilet and slipping further in the standings with the Penguins cup run and playoffs being over here one way or another within the next 4-6 days. The Pirates are going to be the only game in town then and the Penguins aren't gonna be around to help the Pirates hide this pathetic teams issues both on and off the field.

But in the very near future the Stillers will be opening camp in Latrobe and that will take all precedence in the sports pages. So Nutting really has nothing to worry about.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

12333B123931560 wrote: Not a good time either for this Pirates team to start going down the toilet and slipping further in the standings with the Penguins cup run and playoffs being over here one way or another within the next 4-6 days. The Pirates are going to be the only game in town then and the Penguins aren't gonna be around to help the Pirates hide this pathetic teams issues both on and off the field.

But in the very near future the Stillers will be opening camp in Latrobe and that will take all precedence in the sports pages.  So Nutting really has nothing to worry about.

And this is exactly what Pnc felt like last night - a place to hangout waiting for something better to come along.

I was waiting for the first weekend game after school ended to gauge PNC - it had the feel of a wake.  I'm not bring sarcastic or mean spirited, it made me very sad.