Matt Joyce to Athletics

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Matt Joyce to Athletics

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Matt Joyce certainly was a plus as a Bucco. Sure his average dropped a bit, but he anchored RF for a while, hit with some pop and he certainly could take a pitch to get on base. Good luck to Matty with the A's....

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
JollyRoger

Matt Joyce to Athletics

Post by JollyRoger »

I find it interesting yet sad that the small market A's who did not field a contender found value in Joyce whereas the Pirates let him walk thus weakening further a bench that was a strong point last year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Matt Joyce to Athletics

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

012427273219242C2E394B0 wrote: I find it interesting yet sad that the small market A's who did not field a contender found value in Joyce whereas the Pirates let him walk thus weakening further a bench that was a strong point last year.

Joyce isn't going to start in Pittsburgh. He has a chance to start in Oakland. And to be their DH.

Joyce probably made that decision, not all on the Pirates. Personally, I would rather the Pirates find the 2017 version of Joyce like they did in 2016. Joyce really did die down after playing more. He ended up batting .242 with 13 HRs. A fine season for a bench player, but plenty out there who can do that.
SammyKhalifa

Matt Joyce to Athletics

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4A6F6C6C79526F676572000 wrote: I find it interesting yet sad that the small market A's who did not field a contender found value in Joyce whereas the Pirates let him walk thus weakening further a bench that was a strong point last year.

To be fair this is the same team that traded away Addison Russell in exchange for a half a season of wishful thinking, so it's kind of tough to guess whose judgment to value more here.
rucker59@gmail.com

Matt Joyce to Athletics

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: I would not be surprised if Nutting has spent some revenue sharing money at Seven Springs a resort outside of Pittsburgh. A local tv station did a segment last week on the updates the resort has done prior to the skiing season. When I saw the segment I wondered if some MLB money went into the updates.

I doubt it.  I'm not in the business side of things but I bet it's way more likely that the Ski industry makes money hand over fist compared to baseball. 

[/quote

I obviously don't know the business at Seven Springs but I can tell you there has been a lot of consolidation in the ski industry - it's a tough business in general. That doesn't mean Bob Nutting is using revenue sharing for his ski business. But the real bottom line is that the owner can do what he wants as long as his legal obligations are taken care of. If he chose to he could withdraw available revenue.