Pitt Basketball

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

625740404B7240404B4C40250 wrote: How's Howland's MSU doing?  Ancient Chinese History.
18-14- Pitt would settle for that at this point and time
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

Here, I thought this was The Pitt Basketball Thread. Dixon bolted what- six years ago or more?

Who cares what that guy does anymore? I'm not sure that they even care in TX.

Especially this time of year!

I wished him well then, and he's done well, but time to let that go. Been time.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5C697E7E754C7E7E75727E1B0 wrote: Here, I thought this was The Pitt Basketball Thread.  Dixon bolted what- six years ago or more? 

Who cares what that guy does anymore?  I'm not sure that they even care in TX.

Especially this time of year!

I wished him well then, and he's done well, but time to let that go.  Been time.
Pitt has been invited to play in the Legends Classic in Nov.The other teams are Michigan, Arizona State and Virginia Commonwealth. Looks like two early losses
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sounds surprising that they'd receive that kind of invite, don't you think?

Being in NYC might help with some recruiting exposure if hey can somehow find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4E7B6C6C675E6C6C67606C090 wrote: Sounds surprising that they'd receive that kind of invite, don't you think?

Being in NYC might help with some recruiting exposure if hey can somehow find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.
I was surprised as well
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll guess- there was a time when PMBB was popular in NYC.

We know that we have a ways to go. This will be a good yardstick to tell if we're making improvement.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm not a big fan of the word "but,"....but...I have to use it in this dicussion.

I think Cappel's about as good a coach as the university's likely to have (a la Dixon before he left.) I don;t believe in replacing coaches unless I'm sure that the next guy will be better than the guy we have.

Here it comes- the "but." But, doesn't it make one at least ask the question- why, after four years now- are so many kids transferring out of the program? Continuous churn can't be good for building a program, can it? I know that college kids can pre capricious, but this is catching my attention.

I'm OK with it if someone was to tell me that this is "addition by subtraction." I just don't know enough to say that on my own.

No doubt that the big boys lose kids, too. Do they lose them at Pitt's rate?
DemDog

Pitt Basketball

Post by DemDog »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: I'm not a big fan of the word "but,"....but...I have to use it in this dicussion.

I think Cappel's about as good a coach as the university's likely to have (a la Dixon before he left.)  I don;t believe in replacing coaches unless I'm sure that the next guy will be better than the guy we have. 

Here it comes- the "but."  But, doesn't it make one at least ask the question- why, after four years now- are so many kids transferring out of the program?  Continuous churn can't be good for building a program, can it?  I know that college kids can pre capricious, but this is catching my attention. 

I'm OK with it if someone was to tell me that this is "addition by subtraction."  I just don't know enough to say that on my own.

No doubt that the big boys lose kids, too.  Do they lose them at Pitt's rate?

GW, I think it is the type of kids Capel and Pitt can recruit. You are not going to get any 5* kids and very few 4* kids. Those kids are going to the big boy schools and are usually done in 1, especially in the ACC. Jamie did his best job when Pitt was in the Big East and he could recruit the kids from New York and some even from PA. The college basketball scene has changed and Pitt is not changing in a way to be competitive in the ACC. So why would a kid stick around at Pitt when he could just transfer to another school that can be a big-time winner.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

002129002B23440 wrote: I'm not a big fan of the word "but,"....but...I have to use it in this dicussion.

I think Cappel's about as good a coach as the university's likely to have (a la Dixon before he left.)  I don;t believe in replacing coaches unless I'm sure that the next guy will be better than the guy we have. 

Here it comes- the "but."  But, doesn't it make one at least ask the question- why, after four years now- are so many kids transferring out of the program?  Continuous churn can't be good for building a program, can it?  I know that college kids can pre capricious, but this is catching my attention. 

I'm OK with it if someone was to tell me that this is "addition by subtraction."  I just don't know enough to say that on my own.

No doubt that the big boys lose kids, too.  Do they lose them at Pitt's rate?

GW, I think it is the type of kids Capel and Pitt can recruit.  You are not going to get any 5* kids and very few 4* kids.  Those kids are going to the big boy schools and are usually done in 1, especially in the ACC.  Jamie did his best job when Pitt was in the Big East and he could recruit the kids from New York and some even from PA.  The college basketball scene has changed and Pitt is not changing in a way to be competitive in the ACC.  So why would a kid stick around at Pitt when he could just transfer to another school that can be a big-time winner.

I get all that, Possum. Are most of the kids who transfer out going to the prime programs, in your opinion?

Other than prime programs, returning closer to their homes, getting more playing time at the new school/falling out of favor with Capel, or not doing well in school, I can't think of many other reasons why a kid would bail. Maybe I miss something.

And, I get that 18- to 20-year olds aren't the easiest to predict. Neither are 63 year olds! ;)
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Dior Johnson, a four star recruit who is rated the 7th best Point

Guard in the country commits to Pitt for the 2022 Season.