baseball markets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

baseball markets

Post by Ecbucs »

article from a blog that lists Pirates 29 th in market size (Cardinals at 26) in formula from last collective bargaining agreement:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2016/1 ... any-others

Here is quote:

In other words, the simplest way for teams to break out of their market size limits is the obvious one: win a lot. Winning teams have fans, in their area and around the world, and those fans give that team money which that team can then spend. Being a small-market team is not a badge of inferiority that certain teams have to carry throughout life like a scarlet letter; it’s the product of choices, usually made by the owner, to scrimp and save, to not sign free agents, and to not try as hard as possible to win. That’s what makes a small-market team, not where they happen to play.
Ecbucs

baseball markets

Post by Ecbucs »

competitive balance picks. The Cardinals get one which means they are in the bottom 10 in revenue and market size:

“The Competitive Balance Rounds are no longer determined via lottery. Instead, all teams that fall in the bottom 10 in revenue and bottom 10 in market size will get a pick in Round A, after the first round, or Round B, following the second round. Using a formula that takes revenue and winning percentage into account, six teams were awarded Round A picks, with eight teams getting picks in Comp Round B. The groups of teams will switch in 2018 (meaning there will be eight Comp Round A picks, six in Round B), and will alternate as such for the life of this CBA.”
SammyKhalifa

baseball markets

Post by SammyKhalifa »

735554435545360 wrote:

In other words, the simplest way for teams to break out of their market size limits is the obvious one: win a lot. .

The best way to break out of poverty is to have a lot of money!

The Cardinals are the exception, not the rule.  They have a giant midwestern swath of territory that nobody competes for.  We're in the crowded East Coast and aren't going to expand our territory that much no matter what happens. 

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?t ... oogle.com/

St. Louis Cardinals Score a $1 Billion TV Deal

Sorry, I'm not buying it.
SammyKhalifa

baseball markets

Post by SammyKhalifa »

BTW I wasn't super shocked to find out one of the Author's main gigs is to cover the Cubs for BP.  Of course their fans don't want to read that the cards are stacked in their favor. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

baseball markets

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

So, population doesn't matter? I am not buying this at all.

Pittsburgh has about 2 million people in their surrounding areas. We are comparing that to Philladelphia's 4 million, Baltimore's 4 million, Los Angelos's 8 million, New York's 8 million, Chicago's 8 million?

The larger cities simply has more entertainment dollars because they have more people. Plain and simple.
UtahPirate

baseball markets

Post by UtahPirate »

4D7F73736755767F7277787F1E0 wrote:

In other words, the simplest way for teams to break out of their market size limits is the obvious one: win a lot. .

The best way to break out of poverty is to have a lot of money!

The Cardinals are the exception, not the rule.  They have a giant midwestern swath of territory that nobody competes for.  We're in the crowded East Coast and aren't going to expand our territory that much no matter what happens. 

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?t ... oogle.com/

St. Louis Cardinals Score a $1 Billion TV Deal

Sorry, I'm not buying it. 

I read it and thought the same thing. If his formula works then why in the world would the Cards be #26?
Ecbucs

baseball markets

Post by Ecbucs »

I think he is saying this is the formula that MLB and the players association agreed on.

I don't think St. Louis should be in same category as Bucs either as far as competitive balance picks.

I also wondered why Oakland and San Francisco were considered equal. Probably should be divided in half.

JollyRoger

baseball markets

Post by JollyRoger »

The article does bring up an interesting modern day consideration that bears merit. That being with the internet, streaming video, etc; fans can be recruited from around the world. Does not have to be limited by regional geography. For instance I wonder how many fans in South Korea have bought Pirates jerseys/merchandise with Kangs name on the back. How many Koreans have signed up for the MLB package to follow Kang?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

baseball markets

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

54717272674C71797B6C1E0 wrote: The article does bring up an interesting modern day consideration that bears merit. That being with the internet, streaming video, etc; fans can be recruited from around the world. Does not have to be limited by regional geography. For instance I wonder how many fans in South Korea have bought Pirates jerseys/merchandise with Kangs name on the back. How many Koreans have signed up for the MLB package to follow Kang?

That might be true, but what percentage does that go to the Pirates if an item is bought online from some random site?

IABucFan

baseball markets

Post by IABucFan »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: The article does bring up an interesting modern day consideration that bears merit. That being with the internet, streaming video, etc; fans can be recruited from around the world. Does not have to be limited by regional geography. For instance I wonder how many fans in South Korea have bought Pirates jerseys/merchandise with Kangs name on the back. How many Koreans have signed up for the MLB package to follow Kang?

That might be true, but what percentage does that go to the Pirates if an item is bought online from some random site?

I'm not sure about merchandise, but I think each team has an equal stake in MLBAM, which operates MLB.tv and Extra Innings. So, I'm pretty sure they take the revenue from that, add it all up, divide by 30, and issue 30 equal checks to the 30 different franchises, more or less anyway.