7/28 vs Padres. Luplow in RF.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: Craig Stammen strikes out the side.  I would not be surprised if that is first time he has struck out the side this season.

The Padres do not have a great bullpen, the Bucs have to be able to score against these guys.

I thought their bullpen has been pretty good the last month or so. I would love to trade for Hand or Yates.

I was going by pitchers listed at bottom of box score. Hand and Yates are good but as we know from following the Pirates it takes more than two guys out there.

Overall, they have been pretty good. I just pointed out two guys I would like to have on the Pirates.

Game is over. Three hits won't win you many games. Especially, when two of them come from the same player.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2C2B3D353B2C6B671E39333F3732703D31335E0 wrote: 6 outs left to keep a season barely alive, on life support.

Lose this game and its over with.

I agree. I think that does it. I'm actually going to try rooting for another team the rest of the year. Not sure who, but will decide by the end of the weekend. Gonna give it a try the rest of the year. I just can't do this anymore. Good night everyone.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: 6 outs left to keep a season barely alive, on life support.

I agree. I think that does it. I'm actually going to try rooting for another team the rest of the year. Not sure who, but will decide by the end of the weekend. Gonna give it a try the rest of the year. I just can't do this anymore. Good night everyone.

Well, that's not the way baseball season should end....

Can't the FO see anything besides $€£¥?

Hope you're still with OBN IA.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I'll say it again that I wanted to see how this team responded after their 11 of 13 win stretch going out West for 9 games with 6 of the games being against really bad teams before I truly considered them to be a contender. So far it's been a complete disaster at 2-5 and they have responded much like I thought they would by playing inconsistent baseball and overall playing like total $#!T.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The last two games, how fitting:

Marte loses one

The bullpen loses the other.

Another rookie tries his hand at filling our 2 man outfield.

Our warn-out part time 3rd base plays another game.

Cutch hits his last meaningful HR as a Pirate.

We exit the season at the hands of two of baseballs worse teams.

A few more fans leave the Pirate bus because it hurts too much to have more passion than the owners.

Groundhog Day?

Damn.... :'(
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

One more thing the Pirates can't bring Hudson back next season. They gotta either try and move him for anything really or just eat his contract. The guy has blown a ton of games and it's just not worked out here for him. He needs to go and better go and not be on this team next season. Rivero as well has to pitch more. He has only pitched one time in the last week now and that's just not good enough. The Pirates better win these next two games in SD and Rivero had better be used a lot late in both these games if the Pirates have the lead in order to make sure they do win both these games.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

133425212439063225242439400 wrote: One more thing the Pirates can't bring Hudson back next season. They gotta either try and move him for anything really or just eat his contract. The guy has blown a ton of games and it's just not worked out here for him. He needs to go and better go and not be on this team next season. Rivero as well has to pitch more. He has only pitched one time in the last week now and that's just not good enough. The Pirates better win these next two games in SD and Rivero had better be used a lot late in both these games if the Pirates have the lead in order to make sure they do win both these games.
Rivero hasn't been pitching because they've lost 5 of the last 6. Rivero is the closer and can only be used if the rest of the sieve-like BP has provided him a lead in the 9th. His job is to accumulate save stats. That's far more important than winning. Remember when Hurdle said they were going to start using the closer to win games; not just to pick up saves? File that one next to "We'll spend when the time is right."
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B737176766170776A6B7D180 wrote: I don't know about anyone else but when I look at Hurdle in the dugout, I get the feeling Hurdle really doesn't care about this game.  I live in Cardinal country and see a lot of Matheny and you can see he is really mad when players are screwing up, and I just don't see that with Hurdle.  If the manager is like that it seems to filter down through the team.  I see a lot of that in our players.
That's consistent with Hurdle resting key players in key games or pulling effective pitchers to put in problematic relievers or defending stupid mistakes. I'm sure he prefers to win. But it doesn't seem to be an issue with him if they don't.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

3433252D2334737F06212B272F2A6825292B460 wrote: 6 outs left to keep a season barely alive, on life support.

Well, that's not the way baseball season should end....

Can't the FO see anything besides $€£¥?

Hope you're still with OBN IA.

Realistically, I probably won't be able to abandon the Pirates.  But, I've never tried.  If 35 year old me could talk to 10 year old me when I was rooting for Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke, I would have told 10 year old me to wait one more year, then become a Cardinals fan.  Seriously.  So, I need to try...I know that sounds silly, but last night was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me.  To just go through the motions on this entire road trip...I just can't stomach this any more.

OK...here are my criteria:

1.  Team needs to have a bright future...either a top farm system, or the financial wherewithal to overcome a weak farm.

2.  Preferably needs to play a majority of games in the Eastern or Central time zones.  (I have no desire to stay up until midnight every night watching baseball.

3.   Not be the Cubs, Brewers, Yankees, or Pirates

4.   Preferably be in the NL.  (No DH is such a better game.)

That leaves me with:  Cardinals, Nationals, Braves, Red Sox, Indians

Cards have the added benefit of being in the NL Central, so I'd get to directly root AGAINST the Pirates 19 times a year.  But, working against them is A. They have the same issue Pittsburgh does going forward...the Cubs are going to be a juggernaut for the next decade, at least, and B.  Their games are blacked out in Iowa, and I'm not getting DirecTV just to get Fox Sports MidWest.

Nats have working in their favor that they are a lock to make the playoffs this year.

Braves have a loaded farm system, probably the best in baseball.

Red Sox have won three titles in the last 13 years, and are always willing to go all-in.

Indians play in a weak division, and though in a small market, are willing to invest in their team (see Edwin Encarnacion).

But, the Red Sox and Indians also play in the AL, and I still hate the DH.

So, Nats are my leader, followed closely by Braves, Cards, and Red Sox (in that order) with the Indians a distant fifth, but not yet eliminated from the competition.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry...I feel like a traitor.  But, I honestly think last night broke me.  I either need to follow the Pirates less, follow a new team, or perhaps even give up baseball entirely.  But I realize that being this impassioned and being crushed so often is not good for me, or those around me.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Fans make an emotional investment in a team, usually for life even if they wish it weren't so. We can go to a movie and end up not liking it but we go on with our day. We have no emotional ties to it. But when "our" team let's us down, it's a deflating feeling. When we feel the owner, manager, and/or certain players are not giving their best efforts, we feel betrayed because of our emotional investment. I think that's why there is so much angst, and even some anger this year at how this organization is operating. The owner, the manager and all the players want to win. But it seems they don't all actually care enough to make that happen.

Kang and Marte gone? Aww, we'll get by somehow.

Only 2 outfielders on the roster? That's alright, we'll just stick somebody else out there.

Glasnow stinks in ST? That's ok, we'll put him in the rotation anyway.

Watson stinks as a closer? That's ok. We'll ride it out a few months.

Need a win? That'd be nice but let's let Moroff play.

Need another win? Sorry, no can do. It's Sunday.

Players not hustling? No big deal. Manager will defend them and they'll continue not hustling.

This team had promise. But too many things were done or left undone as if winning just has not been a priority. Very frustrating to be a fan of such a team.