Pirates v. Bluejays - game 1

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Last time they got to .500 (50-50) they immediately lost 4 in a row and 6 of 7. They aren't going to get anywhere if they can't be above .500 so these next games are important to get over the hump instead of falling off again.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

606961707E040 wrote: 1. Another big, big win.

2. Kontos has been a life-saver. Brilliant pick-up. Great move by NH.

3. Speaking of NH, I refuse to believe he can't trade a B or C-level prospect and get an average, decent, proven major league outfielder in return. Just someone who can handle the position defensively and hit .250. That trade has to be out there somewhere and it needs to be made. Something is ALWAYS wrong with 1 of our 3 outfielders and we need another one on the roster.

4. Alert for tomorrow: Toronto is bringing up some guy to make his major league debut on the mound. If my memory is correct, the Pirates don't have a great track record against middle of the road prospects called up to make their debuts.

#3. The Pirates got Sean Rodriguez. He is batting .308.

#5 John Jaso is still on the roster.   He's batting. 214 is defensively inept outside of 1b. and still getting regular playing time, even starts occassionally. I would go after Neil Walker who cleared waivers and try and bring him back to help this team make a run here these last 6-7 weeks of the season.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Another thing here real quick is with 46 games left it's time for Clint to quit giving guys days off and marching out Sunday lineups. The Pirates have a real chance to actually win this division and are also now within 6 games of the 2nd wildcard I believe as well. It's time to quit screwing around here and quit starting guys like Jaso and giving a guy like Marte a day off who just had 80 games off.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

123524202538073324252538410 wrote: Another thing here real quick is with 46 games left it's time for Clint to quit giving guys days off and marching out Sunday lineups. The Pirates have a real chance to actually win this division and are also now within 6 games of the 2nd wildcard I believe as well. It's time to quit screwing around here and quit starting guys like Jaso and giving a guy like Marte a day off who just had 80 games off.

These guys aren't concepts or baseball, they are human beings. They will need days off. I think he's doing a decent job sitting guys down and having them DH.

The season breaks them down. Look at Cutch last night or Russell Martin. You don't the ball Polanco fouled off himself isn't going to stay with him for a week. I'm not saying start Jaso four days a week, but Frazier, SRod, Osuna and Stewart are competent enough major league players to send them out without complaining about Sunday lineups.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

6D50574D5057390 wrote: Another thing here real quick is with 46 games left it's time for Clint to quit giving guys days off and marching out Sunday lineups. The Pirates have a real chance to actually win this division and are also now within 6 games of the 2nd wildcard I believe as well. It's time to quit screwing around here and quit starting guys like Jaso and giving a guy like Marte a day off who just had 80 games off.

These guys aren't concepts or baseball, they are human beings.  They will need days off.  I think he's doing a decent job sitting guys down and having them DH. 

The season breaks them down.  Look at Cutch last night or Russell Martin.  You don't the ball Polanco fouled off himself isn't going to stay with him for a week.  I'm not saying start Jaso four days a week, but Frazier, SRod, Osuna and Stewart are competent enough major league players to send them out without complaining about Sunday lineups.

Jaso played RF last night while Polanco DH'ed and Marte was off?  So we had Frazier in LF,  Jaso in RF and Cutch in CF.   

Stewart is hitting .183 with a .264 slugging in the 100 times he's stepped to the plate this year and is both defensively and offensively inferior to the guy raking in AAA?    

If these delicate human beings need regular rest down the stretch, we should just replace Jaso and Stewart with better options. Simple! You couldn't find worse options.

----------------------- <-  Competence Bar

(GAP)

Jaso

(GAP)

Stewart

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree that Diaz should definitely be up here over Stewart, and if you can find a better bench bat then Jaso even though he has not been completely terrible this season and has had some big hits I would do so as well.
mouse

Post by mouse »

It might be time to get someone who can play the outfield.