9/18 vs Brewers. Can it get any more exciting?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0E222A2D2601362030430 wrote: I sort of watched the game on fast forward speed. 

The Diaz baserunning error was inexcusable.  He gets a nice hit down the RF line that was a sure double.  But, for the second time this season he thought he was Billy Hamilton rather than a slow footed catcher and inexplicably tried to stretch a sure double into a triple.  He never once looked at the 3rd base coach and it didn't appear that he even looked over his shoulder to see where the ball was (it was in the second baseman's glove as he rounded the bag) he just ran with his head down.  As noted, happened earlier this season as well, but last time was not quite as bad as this time.   

Polanco.  Gregory, there were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.  Your team is down 3 (might as well have been a 100).  You steam past first and slide into 2nd.  But, you are out, and everyone needs to stand and wait while the Bucs challenge the out call.  Great way to draw even more attention to your idiocy.  Team needed runners on base to extend the game.  Didn't match matter if the runner was on 1st, 2nd or 3rd or even if you had hit a home run because the team needed more than 1.   Then again, a double in your stats may look better than a measly single. 

This team has fallen apart yet again at the end of a season.   Last night was reminiscent of the 1st game of the season against the Braves a few years back when the Bucs misplayed a lazy fly ball out in the 9th to let the Braves extend the game and the Braves' players were laughing in the dugout.   It is one thing to lose, it is another to be made fun of. 

2017 -  Expected so much more.  Such a disappointing year.
Yeah, some of the Brewers were laughing at Polanco. Baseball requires a lot of thinking. You always have to realize the situation. Some guys just never seem to understand the mental aspects of the game. And they sure aren't learning under Hurdle.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

You mean there was a Pirate game last night? Oh my, I must have forgot about it.

Spent the evening with my wife watching Looney Tunes on Youtube. Bringing back the days when we were kids and used to look forward to such cartoon shenanigans every Saturday morning and then as teenagers at the drive-in movie watching them as a warmup for the feature movies.

Guess I just don't enjoy the 21st century version of the Looney Tunes in Pittsburgh this time of year. ;) ;)
Quail

Post by Quail »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

Neither. They should hire coaches who will consistently instruct players properly on making the right choice given game situations and help each player to understand the limits of their own capabilities.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5B7F6B63660A0 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

Neither. They should hire coaches who will consistently instruct players properly on making the right choice given game situations and help each player to understand the limits of their own capabilities.

I really like everyone's posts here, but every little leaguer I know knows not to try to take an extra base when you're losing by three with two outs in the ninth inning. That's like saying that we should have coaches capable of teaching the players how to use a fork.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1E2C20203406252C21242B2C4D0 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

I really like everyone's posts here, but every little leaguer I know knows not to try to take an extra base when you're losing by three with two outs in the ninth inning.  That's like saying that we should have coaches capable of teaching the players how to use a fork. 

Agreed. Coaching is not as important as holding players accountable, something they have not done all year (ever?). You miss play a pop fly - what the heck "our men aren't perfect, are you?" Don't hustle on the bases- what the heck "you think you could hit a fast ball?" Don't know the game situation and run into stupid outs - what the heck,"our men are giving their all!".

Let's face it - the FO is surely being laughed at by 29 other FOs, why should we expect the team to actually play like real life major leaguers?

My gosh - what is going on inside this organization!?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

13212D2D390B28212C292621400 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

I really like everyone's posts here, but every little leaguer I know knows not to try to take an extra base when you're losing by three with two outs in the ninth inning.  That's like saying that we should have coaches capable of teaching the players how to use a fork. 
Yes but when you find out you have players who don't know how to use a fork, you have to teach them. When you have players consistently doing stupid things, you have to remedy the problem so it doesn't hurt the team. It shouldn't be Hurdle's problem but it is. If the player can't learn, then he has to go.

To Dog's point, I agree with Quail. Being aggressive and being stupid are two entirely different things.

Going for an extra base in a close game when the run is important and there's a reasonable chance (tho not a sure thing) of being safe is being aggressive. A player might be more inclined to take that risk if his team is not hitting well and waiting for the next hitter to advance you is less likely.

Running into foolish outs when you had no chance and it was unnecessary even to risk it because your run is meaningless is not being aggressive. It's stupid. Polanco was out easily so it was a bad choice regardless of anything else. But what if he had been safe? It would still be 2 outs and his run would still be meaningless unless the next 2 batters scored in addition to him scoring. It's all risk (of ending the game) and no reward (his run doesn't matter). In fact, had he remained at 1B, it's very likely he could have taken 2B on fielder's indifference on the next pitch. Unlikely they would hold him with 2 outs and a 3-0 lead. Aggressive doesn't mean putting down your head and sprinting regardless of the situation. It means going for the extra base when it means something and the situation is worth the risk.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D5F53534775565F5257585F3E0 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

Just asking in general. I didn't see this particular game.

It's like the sacrifice bunt. Teams not scoring bunt players into scoring position, but giving up outs in the process.

Should teams who can't score steal bases? McClendon had that strategy. He felt the team wasn't good at scoring runs, so he was aggressive on the base paths in stealing and sending runners home.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I will repeat what I said in my earlier post using different words.

There was no reason - absolutely none - for either Diaz or Polanco to make the lousy decisions that they did. Their decisions had nothing to do with being aggressive; they were bonehead moves that should not be tolerated or condoned.

Perhaps Diaz is salvageable - at least he admitted his error and talked about trying to do too much - but I question if Polanco will ever get it.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: Should teams not scoring many runs be more aggressive or less aggressive on the base paths?

Just asking in general.  I didn't see this particular game.

It's like the sacrifice bunt.  Teams not scoring bunt players into scoring position, but giving up outs in the process.

Should teams who can't score steal bases?  McClendon had that strategy.  He felt the team wasn't good at scoring runs, so he was aggressive on the base paths in stealing and sending runners home.

It was always a bad idea, IMO. You either have guys with the skills and natural abilities to warrant being aggressive on the bases or you don't. The decision should be based on the talent on hand, not on whether you are scoring runs.