Will the Bucs sign a free agent during Spring Training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Saw a post on Rotoworld today...Jorge De La Rosa will be deciding on his team early next week. Reports note that he had been contacted by the Pirates earlier. Sounds like Neal Huntington is going after that lefthanded 5th starter....

-----------------------------

Jorge De La Rosa is likely to decide on a new club early next week, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation.

De La Rosa was said to be drawing free agent interest from the Pirates back in early December, but his market has been very quiet since then. The veteran left-hander posted an ugly 5.51 ERA and 108/63 K/BB ratio across 134 innings with the Rockies in 2016. He has stated that he is open to working as a multi-inning reliever
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Kelly Johnson off the bench wouldn't be a bad option. I believe he is pretty versatile in the field also.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

made a deal for a pitcher today.

The Pirates announced that they’ve acquired hard-throwing right-hander Pat Light from the Twins in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Pirates designated fellow right-hander Lisalverto Bonilla for assignment. Minnesota had designated Light for assignment last weekend when they claimed infielder Ehire Adrianza off waivers. It seems as if the Twins will be receiving cash, as opposed to a player, as Minnesota’s announcement made no mention of a possible PTBNL.

Light, 26 next month, long rated as one of the more promising farmhands in the Red Sox organization, but Boston parted ways with him to acquire southpaw Fernando Abad prior to last year’s non-waiver trade deadline. Light made his big league debut last season but allowed 22 runs in 16 1/3 innings with 16 strikeouts against 16 walks.

Control has been an issue for Light in the past two minor league seasons, as he has walked 56 batters in 100 2/3 innings in that time. He did, however, average nearly 95 mph on his fastball during his brief 2016 call-ups, and he also logged a 54.4 percent ground-ball rate. Both factors likely piqued the interest of the Pirates, who place a heavy emphasis on ground-ball tendencies.

Bonilla, 26, hasn’t appeared in the Majors since 2014. The former Phillies/Rangers prospect underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015 but worked his way back to health with the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate in 2016. In 111 innings split between the Double-A and Triple-A affiliates of the Dodgers, Bonilla logged a 3.97 earned run average with a 118-to-40 K/BB ratio. His short stint in the Majors back in 2014 resulted in a 3.05 ERA and a 17-to-12 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings. The Bucs had signed Bonilla to a Major League deal earlier this offseason.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

456362756373000 wrote: made a deal for a pitcher today.

The Pirates announced that they’ve acquired hard-throwing right-hander Pat Light from the Twins in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. To make room on the 40-man roster, the Pirates designated fellow right-hander Lisalverto Bonilla for assignment. Minnesota had designated Light for assignment last weekend when they claimed infielder Ehire Adrianza off waivers. It seems as if the Twins will be receiving cash, as opposed to a player, as Minnesota’s announcement made no mention of a possible PTBNL.

Light, 26 next month, long rated as one of the more promising farmhands in the Red Sox organization, but Boston parted ways with him to acquire southpaw Fernando Abad prior to last year’s non-waiver trade deadline. Light made his big league debut last season but allowed 22 runs in 16 1/3 innings with 16 strikeouts against 16 walks.

Control has been an issue for Light in the past two minor league seasons, as he has walked 56 batters in 100 2/3 innings in that time. He did, however, average nearly 95 mph on his fastball during his brief 2016 call-ups, and he also logged a 54.4 percent ground-ball rate. Both factors likely piqued the interest of the Pirates, who place a heavy emphasis on ground-ball tendencies.

Bonilla, 26, hasn’t appeared in the Majors since 2014. The former Phillies/Rangers prospect underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015 but worked his way back to health with the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate in 2016. In 111 innings split between the Double-A and Triple-A affiliates of the Dodgers, Bonilla logged a 3.97 earned run average with a 118-to-40 K/BB ratio. His short stint in the Majors back in 2014 resulted in a 3.05 ERA and a 17-to-12 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings. The Bucs had signed Bonilla to a Major League deal earlier this offseason.

Eh!!!!
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

2123393F294C0 wrote: Here's the guy - experienced pitcher

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/bria ... all-020917

A perfect match. Blackbeard the Pirate!
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

02272424311A272F2D3A480 wrote: Here's the guy - experienced pitcher

If you haven't guessed by my handle, I love a knuckleballer. What's he like in the clubhouse? I remember him pulling all kinds of stunts and jokes, but I'm not sure if he's the funny guy, or the a-hole guy.

A decent knuckleballer adds another dimension to your team. Throw him out in the middle of a series and it can throw off the opposition. If he's reliable enough to put in as a middle-reliever, same thing happens, only mid-game. I like the idea of bringing in a knuckler, taking a chance and seeing what he can do for us. I still remember what we gave up with Wakefield because we couldn't think to have the Niekro brothers work with him.

Kinda fitting that Wilson would be a knuckleballer. Both are Jokers, wild-cards.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I would take a look at guys like Fister,Alfredo Simon, or even Lincecum if they are still there late in the Spring as possible 5th starters. I think guys like Kelly Johnson or Franceour wouldn't be bad options for the bench.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

507B777E7B7A202D140 wrote: Here's the guy - experienced pitcher

If you haven't guessed by my handle, I love a knuckleballer.  What's he like in the clubhouse?  I remember him pulling all kinds of stunts and jokes, but I'm not sure if he's the funny guy, or the a-hole guy.

A decent knuckleballer adds another dimension to your team.  Throw him out in the middle of a series and it can throw off the opposition.  If he's reliable enough to put in as a middle-reliever, same thing happens, only mid-game.  I like the idea of bringing in a knuckler, taking a chance and seeing what he can do for us.  I still remember what we gave up with Wakefield because we couldn't think to have the Niekro brothers work with him. 

Kinda fitting that Wilson would be a knuckleballer.  Both are Jokers, wild-cards.   

How are Cervelli and Stewart with the knuckleball?

I would let him master the knuckleball before an investment is made. He's a huge wild card for sure.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Ha! One of those knuckleball guys said it takes ten minutes to learn the knuckleball and a lifetime to master it. I take that to mean no one ever masters it. And just think what fun it would be to see a Pirate pitcher throwing one. Now as to catching it, that's another matter.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I really don't see this organization making any move for a long term good option, so no, I don't see anyone of value coming in.