August 10, game 3 verses Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5 hits last night and all from the top 2 in the order (Harrison-3, Cervelli-2). Bucs went 3 up/3 down in the 5 innings in which neither of them batted. Everyone else went a combined 0 for 24.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And they weren't exactly facing Kershaw or Chris Sale.
PMike

Post by PMike »

193B28353633343B182F3939355A0 wrote: And I'm still ticked off that the front office couldn't open its wallet and bring in two additional LEGITIMATE starting pitchers to the mix this season. I was pushing for that the entire off-season.

We don't have nearly enough. You know there are going to be injuries, and you know there is going to be under-performance.

At the moment 2 of our 5 starters are somewhat reliable, and that's not going to work if you have plans to compete for the postseason. Not nearly good enough. We are at least 2 arms shy of being competitive in that department.

With 60 percent of our games currently being started by Glasnow, Williams and Kuhl ... well, that's just not going to work over the long haul.

Completely agreed with your former post on Cutch and Polanco. Completely disagree with this post. They have more than enough. Taillon's injury is unfortunate. However, Cole has been good/great. Nova has been great. Glasnow is coming around (as his history has predicted) and Kuhl has been very good except one start. Now quality veteran was going to be signed to go to the minors waiting until someone got hurt. The Pirates have options in AAA they can cycle through. Williams has been successful. Eppler, Brault, and Holmes are already to contribute in the majors. Brault has had success there. This team has problems, but starting pitching is not one of them.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

597E6F6B6E734C786F6E6E730A0 wrote: This is where somebody comes on and posts "Yea but they are still only 5 games out of 1st place" despite being in last place and 6 games under .500 already.

;D
rucker59@gmail.com

3834356E676E666B6C73695E0 wrote: I am like everyone who are very disappointed in this season so far. I keep thinking that this season could have been very entertaining if Kang and Marte were now in the lineup. Right now I am so disappointed in those two that if the FO decided to trade them I would not care. By their actions they have ruined this season for their fellow players and for all the Pirate fans. I don't care how many apologies they give to the fans, they messed up this season big time.

REALLY good post.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1230233E3D383F30132432323E510 wrote: And I'm still ticked off that the front office couldn't open its wallet and bring in two additional LEGITIMATE starting pitchers to the mix this season. I was pushing for that the entire off-season.

We don't have nearly enough. You know there are going to be injuries, and you know there is going to be under-performance.

At the moment 2 of our 5 starters are somewhat reliable, and that's not going to work if you have plans to compete for the postseason. Not nearly good enough. We are at least 2 arms shy of being competitive in that department.

With 60 percent of our games currently being started by Glasnow, Williams and Kuhl ... well, that's just not going to work over the long haul.

They are 5th in the league in ERA, third in Quality Starts, most Complete Games and in the middle in Walks, Strikeouts, and Batting Average Against and that is with Glasnow, Kuhl and Williams.

Starting Pitching is not the issue.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Got home really late form a meeting.

I watched last night's game on speed dial, meaning that it took all of 10 minutes to see more of the same by quickly scrolling through the game.

Can't hit, good starting pitching except for the 1st inning, and ---- of well, more of the same.

This team is no fun to watch right now. I had hoped that the Pirates would trade Cutch this past off-season. Unless he suddenly rediscovers some of his past talent, he is untradeable (no value in return).

Polanco is an enigma. He has not progressed in any part of his game.

In short, I will repeat what I posted several weeks ago ---

Let's see how the tea leaves read after another 30 games or so, and if there does not appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel the Bucs should face the music and begin to deal off any assets that could garner a return. And, NH should recommend such even if it costs him his job.

rucker59@gmail.com

634F47404B6C5B4D5D2E0 wrote: Got home really late form a meeting.

I watched last night's game on speed dial, meaning that it took all of 10 minutes to see more of the same by quickly scrolling through the game. 

Can't hit, good starting pitching except for the 1st inning, and ---- of well, more of the same.

This team is no fun to watch right now.  I had hoped that the Pirates would trade Cutch this past off-season.  Unless he suddenly rediscovers some of his past talent, he is untradeable (no value in return).

Polanco is an enigma.  He has not progressed in any part of his game.

In short, I will repeat what I posted several weeks ago ---

Let's see how the tea leaves read after another 30 games or so, and if there does not appear to be any light at the end of the tunnel the Bucs should face the music and begin to deal off any assets that could garner a return.  And, NH should recommend such even if it costs him his job.

Agreed 100% on your entire post.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Also disappointing that Osuna had one hit all series and only three this month (batting .111). He is hitting like the rest of the Pirates (.231). Jaso has been better at .174 in May.

Who is next to try in the outfield? Ugh.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: Also disappointing that Osuna had one hit all series and only three this month (batting .111).  He is hitting like the rest of the Pirates (.231).  Jaso has been better at .174 in May. 

Who is next to try in the outfield?  Ugh.
Maybe the key to Osuna would be to not bench him after he has a good game.