Andrew McCutchen in Players Tribune

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

What a wonderfully written piece. He is such an inspiring person. I hope and pray that he turns it around this season, not only for the Pirates but for him! We are truly blessed to have such a great person to appreciate, cheer for, and look up too! That article gave me chills!
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

This is a young man that any athlete could look to emulate in terms of his attitude and his ethic. Thanks for the link, SammyK.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: After living through the Barry Bonds era, it's hard to express how wonderful it is that the face of the franchise is someone you can respect and love. I know the finances are tough, but in my heart I want more than anything for him to be our Cal Ripken.
Yeah but the Pirate$ are all about money. Also, Ripken was an infielder who could shift from SS to 3B when he aged. When an outfielder slows down, the only option in the NL is usually 1B and Cutch doesn't seem like a 1B type. 

How was Ripken paid compared to the league. He was making $6 million or so the final years of his playing days. The most he ever made was $6.8 million. Players now sign what he made in 21 years on a five year deal.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I lived through the careers of 3 of the 5 greatest players who have statues located around PNC Park. Roberto, Pops and Maz. From what I saw in that letter from Cutch he is aiming for a statue of his own at PNC.

What impresses me most about the letter and Cutch in general is his humility. Guy knows he is good, no great, and could just sit back and pout about the move to RF but instead he exudes his humility by placing the team and the fans first.

Thanks Cutch, you da man.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Just read it. Wow. Gave me chills. Seriously it did. I know that's corny, but, oh well. Love the Cutch. I hope more than ever that he bounces back with a MONSTER season. Total, total CLASS ACT.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

What would 5 years cost if offered today?
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

the player's tribute website is Derek Jeter's post retirement project
PMike

Post by PMike »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: I lived through the careers of 3 of the 5 greatest players who have statues located around PNC Park.  Roberto, Pops and Maz.  From what I saw in that letter from Cutch he is aiming for a statue of his own at PNC.

What impresses me most about the letter and Cutch in general is his humility.  Guy knows he is good, no great, and could just sit back and pout about the move to RF but instead he exudes his humility by placing the team and the fans first.

Thanks Cutch, you da man.

The beautiful thing about the article is that he acknowledges the struggle. He didn't just fail and walk out the next day and decide to do thing different (revamp his swing). He didn't just get told he was moving to RF and put on his happy face. He acknowledged the struggle. I felt like he is still struggling with the move to RF. Character is born out of the struggles of our life. He was honest and vulnerable to speak to those things. That's why we loved this article. He allowed himself to really be seen.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

011C383A34510 wrote:

The beautiful thing about the article is that he acknowledges the struggle.  He didn't just fail and walk out the next day and decide to do thing different (revamp his swing).  He didn't just get told he was moving to RF and put on his happy face.  He acknowledged the struggle.  I felt like he is still struggling with the move to RF.  Character is born out of the struggles of our life.  He was honest and vulnerable to speak to those things.  That's why we loved this article.  He allowed himself to really be seen.
I agree with all of that except that I don't believe he's still struggling with the move to RF. It sounded to me like he did struggle with it but has now embraced it and is determined to work hard to be the best right fielder he can be. The clincher for me was his reference to Clemente in RF as if to say, "how can anyone not want to play that man's position?" He also acknowledged his struggles in the OF last year and noted how Marte's talent can't be denied. Cutch is a very class act.