June 2 game-Cole vs Harvey

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1303023523232F400 wrote: This is what I was talking about earlier today regarding Cole.

He just never seems to be good enough.

If an offense as bad as the Pirates is going to score 4 runs, then Cole HAS to shut it down and win that game.

He has way too many starts of just 5 or 6 innings, 2 or 3 runs.

He is a flawed pitcher and despite this, he will command a lot in return at the trade deadline.  He isn't elite at all. I hope the Bucs do the right thing and send him packing for a lot in return.
Yeah, I think I'm now leaning that way too. I don't know how he can be so good at times and so bad at other times? If they can't count on him, then maybe he can better serve them by bringing a good return. It's a tough call because if he could pitch well consistently, he would be their ace. But he's very frustrating.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Diaz gets his first 6 RBIs of the season-all in the same game! :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Strange game. Almost looks like neither team wants to win.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

JHay putting on a show with glove and bat.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Hudson comes in with a 5 run lead and walks two. >:(
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Clint must be really, really, sick tonite. He didn't use Jaso. Oh, my mistake. Clint healthy. Jaso just had a rest day off!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Cole with the win.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That is criminal.
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: Cole had never given up more than 11 HRs in a season until this year. He's now up to 15 and it's only June 2.

That's really suspicious. He had elbow inflammation issues last year, and they were worried about him, running a lot of tests. He hasn't had his Tommy John yet. I wonder if he's heading for that, or just another lengthy stint on the DL list.

Tommy John, because that's just our luck. Pay him for a year on the DL and rehabbing, and then he finally gets back to form in time to sign elsewhere. Damn, I'm just not feeling good about this team these days.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B505C5550510B063F0 wrote: Cole had never given up more than 11 HRs in a season until this year. He's now up to 15 and it's only June 2.

That's really suspicious. He had elbow inflammation issues last year, and they were worried about him, running a lot of tests.  He hasn't had his Tommy John yet. I wonder if he's heading for that, or just another lengthy stint on the DL list.

Tommy John, because that's just our luck.  Pay him for a year on the DL and rehabbing, and then he finally gets back to form in time to sign elsewhere.  Damn, I'm just not feeling good about this team these days.
Per the Trib today:

Going into the game, Cole's home run-to-fly ball rate was 17.1 percent — nearly twice as high as his career rate of 8.8 percent.

Also troubling: 35 percent of balls in play against Cole came on hard contact. That number has gone up each year he's been in the majors: 24 percent in 2013, 28.9 percent in 2014, 29.5 percent in 2015, and 30.1 percent last season.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/123 ... d-12-7-win

I hope he's not hurt. On the other hand if he's healthy and pitching like this, that's troubling too.