Ask Management

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Ask Management

Post by mouse »

I get the sense NH seriously thinks Hutchison has potential and at the cost of those two prospects, the cost was worth it.
SammyKhalifa

Ask Management

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3C3E242234510 wrote: I get the sense NH seriously thinks Hutchison has potential and at the cost of those two prospects, the cost was worth it.

I just feel like Liriano has a better chance to be a very productive pitcher next year than any of the "options" out there in FA or easily available via trade (not talking blockbuster there). Now obviously I don't know what Pirates brass knows but I think I would have held on.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Ask Management

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

30020E0E1A280B020F0A0502630 wrote: I get the sense NH seriously thinks Hutchison has potential and at the cost of those two prospects, the cost was worth it.

I just feel like Liriano has a better chance to be a very productive pitcher next year than any of the "options" out there in FA or easily available via trade (not talking blockbuster there).  Now obviously I don't know what Pirates brass knows but I think I would have held on.

He was hurting the 2016 team as he was terrible. He wasn't going to be benched or put into the bullpen.

If he was just as bad in 2017, then in the same situation. releasing him would still cost the team. Huntington said the league has figured him out.
SammyKhalifa

Ask Management

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4249414D4849521711665F474E4949084549260 wrote: I get the sense NH seriously thinks Hutchison has potential and at the cost of those two prospects, the cost was worth it.

I just feel like Liriano has a better chance to be a very productive pitcher next year than any of the "options" out there in FA or easily available via trade (not talking blockbuster there).  Now obviously I don't know what Pirates brass knows but I think I would have held on.

He was hurting the 2016 team as he was terrible.  He wasn't going to be benched or put into the bullpen. 

If he was just as bad in 2017, then in the same situation.  releasing him would still cost the team.  Huntington said the league has figured him out.   

The League has also figured him out twice in the past.  Twice in the past, he figured out the League again and was named Comeback Player of the Year. 

He may or may not bounce back, but I'd put money on him over the host of alternatives.  He's be a risk just like any other signing or "value" trade except that Liriano was already on the roster. 

I'd have entertained a trade, as the concerns are valid--but not for nothing or less than nothing. Absolutely not.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Ask Management

12202C2C380A29202D282720410 wrote: I get the sense NH seriously thinks Hutchison has potential and at the cost of those two prospects, the cost was worth it.

He was hurting the 2016 team as he was terrible.  He wasn't going to be benched or put into the bullpen. 

If he was just as bad in 2017, then in the same situation.  releasing him would still cost the team.  Huntington said the league has figured him out.   

The League has also figured him out twice in the past.  Twice in the past, he figured out the League again and was named Comeback Player of the Year. 

He may or may not bounce back, but I'd put money on him over the host of alternatives.  He's be a risk just like any other signing or "value" trade except that Liriano was already on the roster. 

I'd have entertained a trade, as the concerns are valid--but not for nothing or less than nothing.  Absolutely not. 

That Award is a little misleading.

He won the Comeback Player of the Year in 2010 because he was coming off of Tommy John surgery and was injured. He won in 2013 after being awful but switched leagues.

He didn't figure out the league. He was pretty bad in 2011 and 2012 for the Twins. Then he switched and had his best season ever in 2013. He didn't pitch well in 2016 until he switched leagues again.

His attitude was probably a reason he was traded too. Personally, I would rather have Nova if it was between the two. I love what Liriano did for the Pirates from 2013-2015, he was a big reason why the team won and made the playoffs. But I didn't mind seeing him go, I just thought other teams would be interested and a better trade would be made.
SammyKhalifa

Ask Management

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just think they were too quick to give up. He was good for us for several seasons and bad a few a few months and we pulled the cord. I'm not sure about the strategy of dealing with pitching depth issues by unloading pitchers.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Ask Management

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: I just think they were too quick to give up.  He was good for us for several seasons and bad a few a few months and we pulled the cord.  I'm not sure about the strategy of dealing with pitching depth issues by unloading pitchers. 

The Pirates have depth. They are young, but certainly very deep. I hope Hutcheson can step in and make this trade uncertainly go away.
PMike

Ask Management

Post by PMike »

05373B3B2F1D3E373A3F3037560 wrote: I just think they were too quick to give up.  He was good for us for several seasons and bad a few a few months and we pulled the cord.  I'm not sure about the strategy of dealing with pitching depth issues by unloading pitchers. 

I felt the same way. He seems like exactly the sort of guy the Pirates would be targeting this offseason. That said, I really do think that he must of been doing something off the field that they found detrimental. There are rumors about him having it out with Searage. Where there is smoke, there's usually fire.
SammyKhalifa

Ask Management

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: I just think they were too quick to give up.  He was good for us for several seasons and bad a few a few months and we pulled the cord.  I'm not sure about the strategy of dealing with pitching depth issues by unloading pitchers. 

The Pirates have depth.  They are young, but certainly very deep.  I hope Hutcheson can step in and make this trade uncertainly go away.

Yeah, I should have said depth ready to make a contribution at the major league level.
Ecbucs

Ask Management

Post by Ecbucs »

7D604446482D0 wrote: I just think they were too quick to give up.  He was good for us for several seasons and bad a few a few months and we pulled the cord.  I'm not sure about the strategy of dealing with pitching depth issues by unloading pitchers. 

I felt the same way.  He seems like exactly the sort of guy the Pirates would be targeting this offseason.  That said, I really do think that he must of been doing something off the field that they found detrimental.  There are rumors about him having it out with Searage.  Where there is smoke, there's usually fire.

yeah, without knowing anything about the rumors, it seems like taking a shot with Liriano in 2017 would be a decent risk. When on, he can dominate for 6 innings. With him, Cole and Taillon that would be three pitchers that had a good chance to pitch a good game most of the time. Liriano was a bargain in 2014 and 2015.

Unlikely to get a replacement that performs as well as he did those years for that cost.