Big Market Reality, maybe Nutting isn't cheap, the fans are

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1B34232234283A32510 wrote: I was looking into buying some Yankee tickets for my wife and I in Sept vs. Baltimore - she's a big Yankee fan.

$900.00 each for seats between home plate and 1B, 4 rows from the field.

Hey, we want to have a huge payroll, right? How many of us would be willing to shell out $900.00 a seat for every Pirate home game? :-/

I go to a lot of Pirates games and even the new pricing for special games is pricing me out. The weekends, Cubs, Cardinals, and interleague games are even more money. And you can't buy standing room until the game is sold out.

I know a lot of teams and leagues (NCAA, NFL) do this and it makes sense. But it still locks out the die hard fan or someone who goes a lot.

I don't think Fireworks and Bobbleheads are bringing in the fans anymore. They don't give out 30,000 promotional items anymore like they used to. You got to get there early now. I can see that increasing if they start losing for years again, but I do think that has died down over the years. The winning got the fans there.

I will not pay $900 for game. $50 for a game is too much too. I did splurge at Fenway for $47 this year. Only because it was my first time at Fenway.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I took the family to a game last year. 4 tickets, (I forget exactly what the face value was? I think it was around $43 each) for 2 games, hotel, food, and travel expenses cost me about the same as renting a beach house for the week.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: I was looking into buying some Yankee tickets for my wife and I in Sept vs. Baltimore - she's a big Yankee fan.

Hey, we want to have a huge payroll, right? How many of us would be willing to shell out $900.00 a seat for every Pirate home game? :-

The Yanks created a lot of controversy when they opened New Yankee Stadium with this unheard of premium for the seats you're considering. it was considered robbery from the beginning, even in NY, and those tix often went unsold.

I don't know if $900 is where they started when the stadium first opened, but the fact you can apparently buy those tickets direct from the ticket office (i.e., those best seats aren't owned by deep pocket season ticket owners) tells me that even in NY there is a very limited market for a $900 seat.

Even still, as others have stated, you can't compare the NY market to any other market, not just Pittsburgh.

Probably true, but I bet that they sell as many or more of those $900 tickets as the Pirates sell the $200 Lexus Club seats. 

Might be surprised to know, but Lexus Club was sold out in the past few years. Not so this year. My rep has made sure I know that....

I can't figure the ownership out - is the penny pinching really worth it when they lose millions in ticket sales and good will? They get pretty quick feedback - the fans don't appreciate being jerked around.
rucker59@gmail.com

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: I was looking into buying some Yankee tickets for my wife and I in Sept vs. Baltimore - she's a big Yankee fan.

Hey, we want to have a huge payroll, right? How many of us would be willing to shell out $900.00 a seat for every Pirate home game? :-/

I go to a lot of Pirates games and even the new pricing for special games is pricing me out.  The weekends, Cubs, Cardinals, and interleague games are even more money.  And you can't buy standing room until the game is sold out. 

I know a lot of teams and leagues (NCAA, NFL) do this and it makes sense.  But it still locks out the die hard fan or someone who goes a lot. 

I don't think Fireworks and Bobbleheads are bringing in the fans anymore.  They don't give out 30,000 promotional items anymore like they used to.  You got to get there early now.  I can see that increasing if they start losing for years again, but I do think that has died down over the years.  The winning got the fans there.

I will not pay $900 for game.  $50 for a game is too much too.  I did splurge at Fenway for $47 this year.  Only because it was my first time at Fenway.

Something you might be interested in, just introduced maybe a month ago - a "season Pass" I think they call it. for $29 a month you can get into every game on a SRO basis (you get access into PNC but no seat). So for $174 you can literally go to every game.

When this was first announced I heard that this was a sign of a team dealing with declining sales.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

3631272F2136717D042329252D286A272B29440 wrote:

I can't figure the ownership out - is the penny pinching really worth it when they lose millions in ticket sales and good will?  They get pretty quick feedback - the fans don't appreciate being jerked around.

For the people like us, the millions they lose in ticket sales seems massive. But in the grand scheme of things, the ticket sales is just gravy.

The value of the franchise increased over $50 million and is now worth over one billion dollars. That's the entire end game for Nutting. It's not championships and it's not ticket sales.

Of course, Nutting would prefer to sell out every night and take the extra millions from those sales. But he'd have to put more millions into the team and he doesn't want to do that.

A lot of times when something seems really difficult to figure out, the obvious answer is the right one.

Why do you think the payroll is what it is? Because Nutting is hungry for a World Series ring? Why was nothing done after Kang and Marte were certain to not be around for at least half the season? It's because Nutting is quite content with the team's performance, regardless of the record and decreasing ticket sales. Business is booming despite the team sucking.
rucker59@gmail.com

09293A2726480 wrote:

I can't figure the ownership out - is the penny pinching really worth it when they lose millions in ticket sales and good will?  They get pretty quick feedback - the fans don't appreciate being jerked around.

For the people like us, the millions they lose in ticket sales seems massive. But in the grand scheme of things, the ticket sales is just gravy.

The value of the franchise increased over $50 million and is now worth over one billion dollars. That's the entire end game for Nutting. It's not championships and it's not ticket sales.

Of course, Nutting would prefer to sell out every night and take the extra millions from those sales. But he'd have to put more millions into the team and he doesn't want to do that.

A lot of times when something seems really difficult to figure out, the obvious answer is the right one.

Why do you think the payroll is what it is? Because Nutting is hungry for a World Series ring? Why was nothing done after Kang and Marte were certain to not be around for at least half the season? It's because Nutting is quite content with the team's performance, regardless of the record and decreasing ticket sales. Business is booming despite the team sucking.

Trust me, I agree with you on this. Nutting is content owning the team. Winning is simply a side bar type of thing. Still, there seems to be good business reasons to put a better team on the field. For example, TV rights will be open again within a year or two; I would think a winning team would drive that value much higher then if they're just middling around. It's clearly a cash cow for ownership, but I'd think they could milk the fans for more if they gave a crap about us.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1636253839570 wrote:

But the value of the franchise is not money in Nutting's pocket unless he sells the team or borrows on that value. Apparently, he's making money on revenue the team is generating, so he should be concerned about alienating fans who provide that revenue.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

0E232E3F38293E7E7D4C0 wrote:

But the value of the franchise is not money in Nutting's pocket unless he sells the team or borrows on that value. Apparently, he's making money on revenue the team is generating, so he should be concerned about alienating fans who provide that revenue. 

It's a long term investment, like a piece of Real Estate. Yes, he's not "pocketing the money now," but he's very much still, "making massive money," by owning the franchise while the value goes up.

There are only 30 MLB franchises. Even the worst performing teams are great investments. It's not going to suddenly start losing value.

Yes I agree, he could make more profit if the team performed better. But it likely takes more money to make more money. His actions (or lack thereof) show that he's satisfied with how his investment is performing, fans coming out in droves or not.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0626352829470 wrote:

It's a long term investment, like a piece of Real Estate. Yes, he's not "pocketing the money now," but he's very much still, "making massive money," by owning the franchise while the value goes up.

There are only 30 MLB franchises. Even the worst performing teams are great investments. It's not going to suddenly start losing value.

Yes I agree, he could make more profit if the team performed better. But it likely takes more money to make more money. His actions (or lack thereof) show that he's satisfied with how his investment is performing, fans coming out in droves or not.
Gotta agree.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote:

Gotta agree.

Spending more money isn't any guarantee that this team would be successful. He'll need to change FO and hire better baseball people in the FO.