Rivero

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Rivero

Post by IABucFan »

Just thinking, but wondered if anyone would have any thoughts on trying to convert him to a starter next year? Normally, a guy with four plus pitches would be in a rotation. Even if he has to dial it back a bit on the heat ad "only" throw 96-97, I think he could be a very good starter if he got stretched out.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Relievers are failed starters. Rivero is no different. He was a starter in the minors with some higher ERAs. Do you trust the Nationals judgement?

Rivero has had more success in the majors as a reliever compared to the minors as a starter.

I don't know if he can start. I just don't know if I want to find out.
IABucFan

Rivero

Post by IABucFan »

6A61696560617A3F394E776F666161206D610E0 wrote: Relievers are failed starters. Rivero is no different. He was a starter in the minors with some higher ERAs. Do you trust the Nationals judgement?

Rivero has had more success in the majors as a reliever compared to the minors as a starter.

Right, but Rivero was also a failed reliever.  Searage fixed him.  Perhaps he can fix him as a starter, too. Given that they gave him away to us, no, I don't trust the Nationals judgment on the matter.

If Rivero pitches 80 innings as a reliever with lights out stuff, that's great. If he could pitch 175 innings as a starter with similar lights out stuff, that's better.
johnfluharty

Rivero

Post by johnfluharty »

0C0407302603242B450 wrote: Just thinking, but wondered if anyone would have any thoughts on trying to convert him to a starter next year? Normally, a guy with four plus pitches would be in a rotation. Even if he has to dial it back a bit on the heat ad "only" throw 96-97, I think he could be a very good starter if he got stretched out.

He was a starter for his entire minor league career. I am all for giving it a shot.
notes34

Rivero

Post by notes34 »

4F4A4D4B4349504D4457515C250 wrote: Just thinking, but wondered if anyone would have any thoughts on trying to convert him to a starter next year? Normally, a guy with four plus pitches would be in a rotation. Even if he has to dial it back a bit on the heat ad "only" throw 96-97, I think he could be a very good starter if he got stretched out.

He was a starter for his entire minor league career.  I am all for giving it a shot.

Yes, why not. He has great stuff.
SammyKhalifa

Rivero

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I guess would you rather him be a great reliever or a mediocre starter.  WAR people would say the starter is more valuable. I don't know.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

5E56556274517679170 wrote: Relievers are failed starters. Rivero is no different. He was a starter in the minors with some higher ERAs. Do you trust the Nationals judgement?

Right, but Rivero was also a failed reliever.  Searage fixed him.  Perhaps he can fix him as a starter, too. Given that they gave him away to us, no, I don't trust the Nationals judgment on the matter.

If Rivero pitches 80 innings as a reliever with lights out stuff, that's great.  If he could pitch 175 innings as a starter with similar lights out stuff, that's better.

The Nationals didn't give him a away. They got one of the best Closers in return.

I just wonder why he was never tried as a starter in the majors. Or was it the Pirates that decided to leave him in the bullpen?
IABucFan

Rivero

Post by IABucFan »

6F5D51514577545D50555A5D3C0 wrote: I guess would you rather him be a great reliever or a mediocre starter.  WAR people would say the starter is more valuable.  I don't know.

I don't want a mediocre starter. If that's what he is, then I'd say to scrap it. But with that stuff...four plus to plus, plus pitches, I'm stunned that he failed as a starter. There are plenty of ace level guys in MLB right now getting by with considerably less. I don't think he'd be Kershaw, but Kershaw is a once in a generation talent, a certain first ballot Hall of Famer. I think Rivero could be every good as say, Quintana, though. Is 175 innings of Jose Quintana in 2018 more valuable than 80 innings of Felipe Rivero? I'd say yes, personally.
Bobster21

Rivero

Post by Bobster21 »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: I just wonder why he was never tried as a starter in the majors.  Or was it the Pirates that decided to leave him in the bullpen?

He started a lot in the Nats' minors until 2015 when they used him only as a reliever. When he was called up the Nats only used him in the pen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rivero

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: I just wonder why he was never tried as a starter in the majors.  Or was it the Pirates that decided to leave him in the bullpen?

He started a lot in the Nats' minors until 2015 when they used him only as a reliever. When he was called up the Nats only used him in the pen. 

I don't know why the Nationals didn't try him as a starter in 2016. Was it because they didn't think he could do it, needed him in the bullpen, or was just no room for him in the rotation?

I didn't hear any attempts by the Pirates to stretch him out either. Maybe they think he can be like Chapman and Miller?