Road Trip Nightmare

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Road Trip Nightmare

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My son and I just drove 1,000 miles round-trip to see the Pirates-Giants series. A brilliant decision. My takeaways:

Friday -- Cole strengthened the case for me wanting to get rid of him. Pathetic performance on his part.

Saturday -- Did the Pirates become the first team in the history of baseball to draw 10 walks and have NONE of the 10 score? Seriously. Historically pathetic display of clutch hitting.

Sunday -- Trevor Williams was brilliant, but I felt impending disaster the entire game leading up to the 7th inning. I knew the Pirates couldn't build the bridge from Williams to Rivero. As soon as he walked Pence to lead-off the 7th you felt the game was over. As soon as Watson got the call, the game was over. So frustrating.

Bottom line. Could have EASILY been 3 wins. But Cole was embarrassing, then our clutch hitting was historically bad, then our hapless bullpen did its thing again.

Just drove 500 miles back home after watching that mess. Well, at least the weather was perfect, the beer was good and the father-son time was wonderful and special.

And we'll be back next year because it's Pirates baseball I can't help myself.
DemDog

Road Trip Nightmare

Post by DemDog »

7153405D5E5B5C53704751515D320 wrote: My son and I just drove 1,000 miles round-trip to see the Pirates-Giants series. A brilliant decision. My takeaways:

Friday -- Cole strengthened the case for me wanting to get rid of him. Pathetic performance on his part.

Saturday -- Did the Pirates become the first team in the history of baseball to draw 10 walks and have NONE of the 10 score? Seriously. Historically pathetic display of clutch hitting.

Sunday -- Trevor Williams was brilliant, but I felt impending disaster the entire game leading up to the 7th inning. I knew the Pirates couldn't build the bridge from Williams to Rivero. As soon as he walked Pence to lead-off the 7th you felt the game was over. As soon as Watson got the call, the game was over. So frustrating.

Bottom line. Could have EASILY been 3 wins. But Cole was embarrassing, then our clutch hitting was historically bad, then our hapless bullpen did its thing again.

Just drove 500 miles back home after watching that mess. Well, at least the weather was perfect, the beer was good and the father-son time was wonderful and special.

And we'll be back next year because it's Pirates baseball I can't help myself.

So sorry you got to see a lousy series. But for sure you realized the most important part of the trip, the father-son time. I have been going to Bucs games for 59 years and for 29 of those I went with my dad. We had great times and it was dad who instilled the love of the Pirates in me. And it is that dad instilled love of the Buccos that keeps me going back year after year despite how they play. You see that's what Dad would have done.

Now a days I have to explain to my adult daughter what is going on with the Bucs. She lives in Seattle and recently brought her family back for a visit. It was the Reds series in mid April. The Bucs lost all 3 games but she and her two small children loved it. The experience of the game and the Buccos.

Hope you and your son never give up on the Buccos but keep coming back year after year and enjoying the quality father-son time.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Road Trip Nightmare

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Now, I blame you for this series. Jinx!
CarolinaBucco

Road Trip Nightmare

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Possum -- Thanks for the warm remarks. I agree wholeheartedly. Funny thing is, from the time my son knew what baseball was, he loved Derek Jeter and therefore spent his youth as a huge Yankees fan. But year after year, game after game, he would watch his Dad live and die with the Pirates, and he would take annual trips to PNC Park and Pittsburgh with me.

About 6-7 years ago he started to make the transition to a Pirates fan. Now, a sophomore in college, he is a passionate, all-in Pirates fan. Part of me wants to apologize to him, and the other part of me is thrilled. We take father-son trips to PNC Park every summer and I hope it's a tradition we can continue for years and years into his adulthood.

Thanks again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Road Trip Nightmare

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6745564B484D4A45665147474B240 wrote: Possum -- Thanks for the warm remarks. I agree wholeheartedly. Funny thing is, from the time my son knew what baseball was, he loved Derek Jeter and therefore spent his youth as a huge Yankees fan. But year after year, game after game, he would watch his Dad live and die with the Pirates, and he would take annual trips to PNC Park and Pittsburgh with me.

About 6-7 years ago he started to make the transition to a Pirates fan. Now, a sophomore in college, he is a passionate, all-in Pirates fan. Part of me wants to apologize to him, and the other part of me is thrilled. We take father-son trips to PNC Park every summer and I hope it's a tradition we can continue for years and years into his adulthood.

Thanks again.

Didn't it feel so much better for him when the Pirates went to the playoffs three years in a row compared to when the Yankees did it? I mean, the Yankees are supposed to be there with their budget. The Pirates were a surprise.