Bucs at Washington. Final series.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

If he's going to throw 95-97, the catchers are going to have a hell of a time framing anything missing his spot by as much as he does.

Diaz may be a bad framer and game caller.  Don't know.  I was told over and over again he was a great receiver by the prospects bloggers and media.   

It's hard to.tell with wild-thing Glasnow on the mound . He wasn't any different with any of the other catchers
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

242D25343A400 wrote: If he's going to throw 95-97, the catchers are going to have a hell of a time framing anything missing his spot by as much as he does.

Diaz may be a bad framer and game caller.  Don't know.  I was told over and over again he was a great receiver by the prospects bloggers and media.   

It's hard to.tell with wild-thing Glasnow on the mound .  He wasn't any different with any of the other catchers
I don't know either but if Diaz is bad, he would be bad with all pitchers, not just Glasnow. I haven't noticed other pitchers having a problem throwing to him.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7E7C666076130 wrote: I saw a lot of pitches in the dirt or way off the plate. Not sure how anyone could frame those. I thought Diaz did pretty well just blocking the balls.

Yes, he did an excellent job of that.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Not sold on Diaz game-calling either.  Glasnow was having trouble locating the fastball but he kept calling pitches (and setting up) well inside and Glasnow would then miss and catch the heart of the plate.
I think the problem Diaz or any catcher has with Glasnow is that Glasnow has very poor command and can't hit his spots. There are times he throws within the strike zone but it's not where the catcher has set up and it requires the catcher to reach for it. When the ump sees the catcher reaching on a borderline pitch, he's more apt to call it a ball. The catcher is between a rock and a hard place. He can call for pitches down the middle and have Glasnow hit hard. Or he can set up inside or outside for less hittable strikes but then Glasnow can't throw it there.   :-/

An awful lot of baseball "critics" are laughing at the fact that Pirate catchers just don't set up down the middle of the plate. Glasnow's pitch movement will take the ball off the heart of the plate anyway. I agree as it's crazy stupid to have your catcher stabbing all over the place. That said , what get's me is it seems like a hitter hardly ever chases a ball that looks like a strike and moves outside the zone in the last foot or two. They just take breaking balls that miss by an inch or two and are able to foul off the really good pitches. Just about every walk seems to be a "great" extended at bat on a 3-2 count. Just way too few swings and misses considering his stuff. Maybe one problem is batters are able to identify an off speed pitch way early vs Glasnow compared to other pitchers ? You just don't see swings and misses ...
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

79585079525A3D0 wrote:

While Glasnow continued to miss the plate and to throw way too many pitches, I believe he actually looked better last night.  The main reason is because he didn't appear to be afraid to throw while he was on the mound. 

Are you suggesting that Glasnow needs to get himself a pair of black horn rimmed glasses with tape holding them together and coke bottle bottoms for lenses?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes ... and he needs Crash Davis as his personal catcher.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: I will be at the Saturday and Sunday games.

Hope you have a great weekend. Expanded rosters----- if you have any power, grab a bat.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Moroff got credit with a Triple? Werth batted the ball away from himself and Taylor. I think scoring is so bad. Hurt the pitcher, help the hitter.

Good win. Big hit by Moroff.
mouse

Post by mouse »

May well have cost us the 9th pick in the draft . . .
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5C5E444254310 wrote: May well have cost us the 9th pick in the draft . . .

Excellent point. I think they were as high as 7th at one point.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: May well have cost us the 9th pick in the draft . . .

Excellent point. I think they were as high as 7th at one point.

I read the Pirates were locked in for the 9th or 10th pick depending on what happens today.