dmetz

Bucs at Washington. Final series.

Post by dmetz »

LOL yeah. We should concentrate on the bullpen
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4363706D6C020 wrote:  

When Hudson was signed I was hopeful but not optimistic that he would be valuable. The risk was that were signing a 30-year old reliever who hadn't been better than average or worse since he was a 24-year old starter and hoping he would pitch better than his recent history suggested he was capable. It was the classic reclamation project.   

Hudson was missing the one element that is common among all other, "NH reclamation projects."

The price/contract.

I agree with you that Hudson should have been seen as a reclamation project. The problem is that NH didn't see him as that. He gave him a multi-year deal at market rate.

If NH really saw him as a reclamation project, he'd only have been willing to give him a one year deal at a much lower price.

He totally missed on this one.
I also thought they overpaid. But at the time, I read an analysis of the signing (don't recall where) and it said the Pirates were taking a risk but at a reasonable price. I guess when compared to bigger spending teams, it wasn't a big contract but it was a lot for the Pirates. 5.5 million this year and next. I hope they don't go into 2018 expecting him to be a late inning guy. 

I think the term, "reasonable," was used in reference to the amount of money in total. At $11 mil, it's nowhere near the type of contract that will crush an organization.

But a guy who's had the type of career Hudson has had (disappointing) and is a relief pitcher (not even a closer or an established, successful, setup guy), the deal he got was not reasonable.
I agree.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

My take on Hudson ---

I would just as soon take my chances with Glasnow.

Translation --- Hudson is not good.

While Glasnow continued to miss the plate and to throw way too many pitches, I believe he actually looked better last night. The main reason is because he didn't appear to be afraid to throw while he was on the mound.

Also --- Diaz is bad at framing pitches. He regularly swipes his glove at pitches rather than trying to square up to the pitch that is being delivered. Glasnow was missing the plate, but Diaz wasn't helping him.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Not sold on Diaz game-calling either. Glasnow was having trouble locating the fastball but he kept calling pitches (and setting up) well inside and Glasnow would then miss and catch the heart of the plate.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

79555D5A5176415747340 wrote:

While Glasnow continued to miss the plate and to throw way too many pitches, I believe he actually looked better last night.  The main reason is because he didn't appear to be afraid to throw while he was on the mound. 

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote:

While Glasnow continued to miss the plate and to throw way too many pitches, I believe he actually looked better last night.  The main reason is because he didn't appear to be afraid to throw while he was on the mound. 

Are you suggesting that Glasnow needs to get himself a pair of black horn rimmed glasses with tape holding them together and coke bottle bottoms for lenses? ;D ;D ;D ;D
mouse

Post by mouse »

I saw a lot of pitches in the dirt or way off the plate. Not sure how anyone could frame those. I thought Diaz did pretty well just blocking the balls.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

797B616771140 wrote: I saw a lot of pitches in the dirt or way off the plate. Not sure how anyone could frame those. I thought Diaz did pretty well just blocking the balls.

No catcher is going to help Glasnow. He needs to throw strikes. 75 pitches in three innings isn't going to cut it. Its all on him.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

44656D446F67000 wrote:

Are you suggesting that Glasnow needs to get himself a pair of black horn rimmed glasses with tape holding them together and coke bottle bottoms for lenses?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey it's worth a shot. :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F7A7D7B7379607D7467616C150 wrote: Not sold on Diaz game-calling either.  Glasnow was having trouble locating the fastball but he kept calling pitches (and setting up) well inside and Glasnow would then miss and catch the heart of the plate.
I think the problem Diaz or any catcher has with Glasnow is that Glasnow has very poor command and can't hit his spots. There are times he throws within the strike zone but it's not where the catcher has set up and it requires the catcher to reach for it. When the ump sees the catcher reaching on a borderline pitch, he's more apt to call it a ball. The catcher is between a rock and a hard place. He can call for pitches down the middle and have Glasnow hit hard. Or he can set up inside or outside for less hittable strikes but then Glasnow can't throw it there. :-/