May 12 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

To make matters worse, Barbato nails the DBacks catcher square in the face...
Bobster21

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

2B2C3A323C2B6C60193E34383035773A3634590 wrote:

I've come to what I think is a (THE?) significant reason behind the team's problems: significant overvaluation of our talent.  This team is not very good because there are very few "good" players.  There are some average players (Marte, Mercer) some below average players (Cutch, Polanco) but no one in the lineup that is truly above average. 

Only Cole, Tallion and Nova can maybe be better than average (although I'd say only Nova is truly above average for his #3 slot).  I'm very hopeful for Bell.  I'm hopeful for Meadows.  Glasnow remains critical if this team is going to compete in the next few years.  But none of the other pieces are truly giving the Pirates significant value (I say this w/o looking at WAR, etc; my eye test is sufficient in this case).

It's one thing for fans to look through tinted glasses, it's another thing for management to miss so badly in its talent evaluation.

This is the flawed logic of the BMTIB: the idea that you can build a championship team with your prospects and no better than 2nd tier FAs. No team is going to develop more than a few standout prospects at any one time. So the formula most competitive teams follow is to supplement those players with 1 or 2 key acquisitions to fill the remaining holes with established, productive players. But that's where the Pirates draw the line. All key players must come from the farm system because they will not increase payroll even to the middle of the pack of MLB in order to add impact players.

I think Marte (when available) is an impact player. Bell could become one as well. Hopefully Meadows. Polanco was billed as such but that seems to have been wrong. Cutch was such a player but no more. Harrison, Mercer, Freese and Cervelli are average. Cole went from a stud to an average pitcher last year and early this year but now seems to be back on track as a star pitcher but too often in his career has failed in key games. Taillon could be a star if his body ever allows it. The highlight of Glasnow's season so far is a pair of mediocre games in between 5 horrible starts. It's too early to tell but he doesn't instill confidence that he will become a star pitcher. Or even a mediocre one. But the past 2 off seasons have shown the strategy is to basically go with what they've got for better or worse. Nova was in their price range and has done better than expected. Freese is useful. Rivero could become a stud but he was a roster substitute for Melancon (Rivero/Watson vs Watson/Melancon) so that was more of a wash then a significant upgrade. The FO told us spending would increase as appropriate when the time was right. That suggested the final pieces of the puzzle would be added. But they reneged on that promise so the roster lacks the kind of talent that increased spending could have obtained. So we're left with the best prospects and 2nd tier FAs they could come up with. Ugh.      
SteadyFreddy

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I said last week if the Pirates weren't careful they could end up being somewhere in the range of 10 games under .500 and 7-10 games out of first and the 2nd wildcard spot and they are just about there now. They are 8 games under .500 right now and with Taillon now out for awhile with the cancer on top of the problems offensively there is no way I see the Pirates digging themselves out of this hole. It's barely even May too. The front office is going to see a huge drop in attendance this season if the Pirates continue down the path they are on. There is just no end in sight for this team poor performance anytime soon.
rucker59@gmail.com

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote:

I've come to what I think is a (THE?) significant reason behind the team's problems: significant overvaluation of our talent.  This team is not very good because there are very few "good" players.  There are some average players (Marte, Mercer) some below average players (Cutch, Polanco) but no one in the lineup that is truly above average. 

Only Cole, Tallion and Nova can maybe be better than average (although I'd say only Nova is truly above average for his #3 slot).  I'm very hopeful for Bell.  I'm hopeful for Meadows.  Glasnow remains critical if this team is going to compete in the next few years.  But none of the other pieces are truly giving the Pirates significant value (I say this w/o looking at WAR, etc; my eye test is sufficient in this case).

It's one thing for fans to look through tinted glasses, it's another thing for management to miss so badly in its talent evaluation.

This is the flawed logic of the BMTIB: the idea that you can build a championship team with your prospects and no better than 2nd tier FAs. No team is going to develop more than a few standout prospects at any one time. So the formula most competitive teams follow is to supplement those players with 1 or 2 key acquisitions to fill the remaining holes with established, productive players. But that's where the Pirates draw the line. All key players must come from the farm system because they will not increase payroll even to the middle of the pack of MLB in order to add impact players.

I think Marte (when available) is an impact player. Bell could become one as well. Hopefully Meadows. Polanco was billed as such but that seems to have been wrong. Cutch was such a player but no more. Harrison, Mercer, Freese and Cervelli are average. Cole went from a stud to an average pitcher last year and early this year but now seems to be back on track as a star pitcher but too often in his career has failed in key games. Taillon could be a star if his body ever allows it. The highlight of Glasnow's season so far is a pair of mediocre games in between 5 horrible starts. It's too early to tell but he doesn't instill confidence that he will become a star pitcher. Or even a mediocre one. But the past 2 off seasons have shown the strategy is to basically go with what they've got for better or worse. Nova was in their price range and has done better than expected. Freese is useful. Rivero could become a stud but he was a roster substitute for Melancon (Rivero/Watson vs Watson/Melancon) so that was more of a wash then a significant upgrade. The FO told us spending would increase as appropriate when the time was right. That suggested the final pieces of the puzzle would be added. But they reneged on that promise so the roster lacks the kind of talent that increased spending could have obtained. So we're left with the best prospects and 2nd tier FAs they could come up with. Ugh.      

Agree with all this. Over valuating talent leads to hanging on to talent that does not impact the team or worse. It leads to false expectations.

All of this is just my opinion of course, I think a lot of fans are wanting to hold on to something that doesn't exist - this team even with Marte is far from elite "as is".

Think if it this way - this is a "one allstar" team. Even if Marte and Kang are playing, only one pirate will be on the all star team, but we're going to win a WS with this same crew? No, no we're not.
PMike

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by PMike »

414650585641060A73545E525A5F1D505C5E330 wrote:

Agree with all this.   Over valuating talent leads to hanging on to talent that does not impact the team or worse.  It leads to false expectations. 

All of this is just my opinion of course, I think a lot of fans are wanting to hold on to something that doesn't exist - this team even with Marte is far from  elite "as is". 

Think if it this way - this is a "one allstar" team.  Even if Marte and Kang are playing, only one pirate will be on the all star team, but we're going to win a WS with this same crew?  No, no we're not.

Really? I think Nova, Cole, and Rivera all have a strong case at this early juncture to make the AS team. You could also make a case for Harrison at 2nd base.

It certainly isn't hard to think that if Marte and Kang were in the lineup since opening day, they could also be all star possibilities.

PS, over the last week, Polanco is OPSing around .950.
PMike

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by PMike »

230E03121504135350610 wrote:

Except that is exactly what Cleveland and KC has done in recent years. Like it or not, it is a way that can be successful. It also is based on most things working out well. So far this year for the Pirates, pretty much nothing has gone well. Two top hitters out for stupid reasons. Three other top hitters way underperforming. Two solid players injured. Every other bench player is bad or underperforming except Harrison. Even a fairly consistent and reliable hitter like Mercer is hitting .200. It is hard to imagine this group of hitters doing this all year. Which means they should come around at some point and even things out.
Bobster21

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

6C715557593C0 wrote:

Except that is exactly what Cleveland and KC has done in recent years.  Like it or not, it is a way that can be successful.  It also is based on most things working out well.  So far this year for the Pirates, pretty much nothing has gone well.  Two top hitters out for stupid reasons.  Three other top hitters way underperforming.  Two solid players injured.  Every other bench player is bad or underperforming except Harrison.  Even a fairly consistent and reliable hitter like Mercer is hitting .200.  It is hard to imagine this group of hitters doing this all year.  Which means they should come around at some point and even things out.
In the past couple years Cleveland has supplemented their core of home grown players with Mike Napoli and Edwin Encarnacion. Encarnacion was a FA coming off a 42 HR, 127 RBI season and signed for 4 years and 75 million. KC supplemented their core of home grown players with Omar Infante and Kendrys Morales and Cueto for a half season. So these are examples of what I was saying: "the formula most competitive teams follow is to supplement those players with 1 or 2 key acquisitions to fill the remaining holes with established, productive players." Also, Cleveland extended Kubler for 5 years, 38 million. These are the type of moves the Pirates don't make and it's what separates them from teams like Cleveland and KC.