9/5 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/5 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D6A7C747A6D2A265F78727E7673317C70721F0 wrote: Risky play on Marte. He got a good jump. I still think he was safe. If the outfielder hesitates at all, Marte probably would have been safe. I liked the hustle. Marte is the only player who can even try to advance like that. Marte has never been a smart player.

You like his hustle?  It's nice that tonight he decided to hustle into an out.  If he was characterized by hustling then I would get this post. But Marte is not characterized by hustle.  Instead one time he decides to bust his azz he makes a very stupid out at 3rd.  But if the OFer had hesitated at all Marte would have been safe!  It was a close play, can't believe Hurdle didn't review.  Even if he was out I love the hustle....

And then I think about the one guy on this team that defines hustle - if JHay made that out at 3rd you'd certainly see the play differently.

You are correct about that if Harrison did that. Like I said, only Marte has the speed to attempt that kind of play.

It was Marte's fault. The replay didn't seem that he was picking up the coach. The play was in front of him. It didn't work. He got called out. He certainly wasn't lazy like some to call him. Even Jaso went from first to third on a single and scored. There was no lack of hustle in this game which was my point.
JollyRoger

9/5 game

Post by JollyRoger »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: Clutch hit by Moroff and yet ANOTHER incredibly stupid base running decision by Marte. I guess master motivator Hurdle forgot to motivate him to play intelligently.
I thought Marte was a lazy player?

Do you blame Hurdle on Bell too?
I sure do! I blame the mgr when too many players on the team don't know how to run the bases intelligently. Whose job is it to ensure the players know how to play the game intelligently?

I disagree about Bell. That was not stupid base running. There was a strong throw going home. If that throw was not cut off it would have been a close play at the plate. By cutting it off and by delaying the tag on him; Bell ensured that the go ahead run scored.
SammyKhalifa

9/5 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

TRUE FACT: The Pirates are the only team that does bad baserunning mistakes. Look it up!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/5 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

51636F6F7B496A636E6B6463020 wrote: TRUE FACT:  The Pirates are the only team that does bad baserunning mistakes.  Look it up!

Didn't a team run into an out on a Walk last night?
Bobster21

9/5 game

Post by Bobster21 »

784A46465260434A47424D4A2B0 wrote: TRUE FACT:  The Pirates are the only team that does bad baserunning mistakes.  Look it up!
Sure, other teams make baserunning mistakes. But is that a valid reason to allow the Pirates to do it too frequently? The Pirates want to be contenders but are not going to be a team that equals other contenders in talent. So they need to play smart. That includes letting other teams beat themselves with poor baserunning while they run smarter. This is why I often say they need a better than average manager. But Hurdle's team too often displays poor fundamentals. From year to year these problems just don't seem to get fixed. But I guess that's ok. He just got 4 more years. :(