May 12 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by SCBucco »

7E5C4F525154535C7F485E5E523D0 wrote: I realize it's not the single BIGGEST weakness, but this team needs better starting pitching. A lot of it. The trio of Glasnow, Williams and Kuhl is just not good enough.

Saw this coming from miles away.  Kuhl was placed as a 4.  He is more a 6.  Williams shouldn't even be in the majors IMO.  Glasnow ... major major question.  Said we needed at least one more starting pitcher.  Our top three when healthy is pretty good ... Cole, Taillon and Nova.  When one goes down, Kuhl goes to 3 ... that spells doom.  Then again, we can have Bob Gibson on the mound and wouldn't win because we struggle to score 2.

I'm not sure there is an arm down on the farm that excites me to be honest as far as a starter. Maybe Keller, but nothing else.
RichD

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by RichD »

I love my Bucs and i do my due diligence on prospects and stuff.

But i really don`t get to upset .I`m vested as a fan . But when things go bad , i dont really get down about it.

I was at my parents home watching the Pirates /Braves game when Sid made the slide.

I threw a beer bottle at my Dads big screen TV . I was so angry.

I will never ever let a game or team get me that way again.

I paid for the new TV . But the look on my parents faces i will never forget.

We dont even talk about it to this day.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Stat wise, they have one of the top rotations in the league. That is with Kuhl, Glasnow and the one start by Williams.

Yeah, Taillon is a big blow. He is probably the best overall. Any team would take a big hit if they lost their top pitcher.

The Pirates have won more of Glasnow's starts than any other pitcher. He might not be pitching well, but he isn't hurting them.

I like Kuhl. I expected him to be better, though. He needs to improve. But three top starters is great to have. Not many teams have that and expect to compete.
BenM

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by BenM »

No need to stay up late tonight.

Yay?
rucker59@gmail.com

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Just a total train wreck.

Jack Z was on the radio a week or two back talking about how opportunities can disappear in a flash, and you have to treat your opportunities as precious, doing what you can to maximize opportunity.

The Pirates wasted their opportunity. Just wasted.

Now 11-3 in the 4th. This is a train wreck....
SCBucco

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by SCBucco »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: Stat wise, they have one of the top rotations in the league. That is with Kuhl, Glasnow and the one start by Williams.

Yeah, Taillon is a big blow. He is probably the best overall. Any team would take a big hit if they lost their top pitcher.

The Pirates have won more of Glasnow's starts than any other pitcher. He might not be pitching well, but he isn't hurting them.

I like Kuhl. I expected him to be better, though. He needs to improve. But three top starters is great to have. Not many teams have that and expect to compete.

Only because of our top three and one of them is hurt. Another injury is disaster. Kuhl is substandard, Glasnow is a disaster to be honest. He isn't a quality pitcher right now. Williams is an AAA type starter.

SCBucco

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by SCBucco »

3631272F2136717D042329252D286A272B29440 wrote: Just a total train wreck.

Jack Z was on the radio a week or two back talking about how opportunities can disappear in a flash, and you have to treat your opportunities as  precious, doing what you can to maximize opportunity. 

The Pirates wasted their opportunity.  Just wasted.

Now 11-3 in the 4th.  This is a train wreck....

Dog disagrees.  Thinks we are in prime position with a lot of talent.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  This isn't a good team.  We have some talent, but certainly not a team capable of challenging for a playoff spot.  It has been a train wreck for the last one year and 35 games?

It is time to play Monty Hall "Let's make a deal" Cole is on the block, Cutch is on the block, but we get 15 cents on the dollar.

Trying to figure out if the number 1 pick for 2018 MLB Draft is a Harper or Trout type. We can only hope.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I said that? No, I didn't. Keep your own negative, tiring thoughts.

The Pirates have a decent core. Major injuries, suspension,and visa trouble hurt the team. Not talent.
steve49

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by steve49 »

Bad team ... painful game. Glasonw should have got one of those last 2 pitches to Corbin and Osuna plays a fly ball into a double. 2 outs nobody on and inning could have ended with 1 run scored. When you play baseball like the bad news bears stuff happens.
rucker59@gmail.com

May 12 - Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6171704751515D320 wrote: Just a total train wreck.

Jack Z was on the radio a week or two back talking about how opportunities can disappear in a flash, and you have to treat your opportunities as  precious, doing what you can to maximize opportunity. 

The Pirates wasted their opportunity.  Just wasted.

Now 11-3 in the 4th.  This is a train wreck....

Dog disagrees.  Thinks we are in prime position with a lot of talent.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  This isn't a good team.  We have some talent, but certainly not a team capable of challenging for a playoff spot.  It has been a train wreck for the last one year and 35 games?

It is time to play Monty Hall "Let's make a deal"  Cole is on the block, Cutch is on the block, but we get 15 cents on the dollar. 

Trying to figure out if the number 1 pick for 2018 MLB Draft is a Harper or Trout type.  We can only hope.

I've come to what I think is a (THE?) significant reason behind the team's problems: significant overvaluation of our talent. This team is not very good because there are very few "good" players. There are some average players (Marte, Mercer) some below average players (Cutch, Polanco) but no one in the lineup that is truly above average.

Only Cole, Tallion and Nova can maybe be better than average (although I'd say only Nova is truly above average for his #3 slot). I'm very hopeful for Bell. I'm hopeful for Meadows. Glasnow remains critical if this team is going to compete in the next few years. But none of the other pieces are truly giving the Pirates significant value (I say this w/o looking at WAR, etc; my eye test is sufficient in this case).

It's one thing for fans to look through tinted glasses, it's another thing for management to miss so badly in its talent evaluation.