Sunday ... A couple of thoughts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Because Polanco is more hurt than originally thought. I don't want to bench Polanco, but another bat is needed if he can't be used.

Also, with Rodriguez, Jaso is not needed. Rodriguez changes things too.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

It feels like a broken record at this point, but I just cannot fathom why this team has not gone out and acquired another outfielder. It's mystifying.

So as they move into the make or break stretch of the schedule vs. all NL Central teams (and the Dodgers), apparently the the front office is perfectly content moving forward with only 2 true outfielders on the roster. MAKES. NO. SENSE.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6B495A47444146496A5D4B4B47280 wrote: It feels like a broken record at this point, but I just cannot fathom why this team has not gone out and acquired another outfielder. It's mystifying.

So as they move into the make or break stretch of the schedule vs. all NL Central teams (and the Dodgers), apparently the the front office is perfectly content moving forward with only 2 true outfielders on the roster. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

It's insane...especially when a guy like Curtis Granderson is literally sitting right there.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5E56556274517679170 wrote: It feels like a broken record at this point, but I just cannot fathom why this team has not gone out and acquired another outfielder. It's mystifying.

It's insane...especially when a guy like Curtis Granderson is literally sitting right there.

well the goal is to win a pennant and the Bucs think that they have a better chance with Jaso than with Granderson. :)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Cervelli sounds like he might be done for the season listening to him talk after the game yesterday. This contract they gave Cervelli is starting to look like an absolute disaster. He can't stay healthy and for a guy they owe 22 million dollars over the next two seasons that is not a good place to be with him at all. The Pirates really need to make a decision on Cervelli the next year or so and whether they want to move forward with this contract or if they want to seriously consider making Diaz the guy moving forward.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

00273632372A15213637372A530 wrote: Cervelli sounds like he might be done for the season listening to him talk after the game yesterday. This contract they gave Cervelli is starting to look like an absolute disaster. He can't stay healthy and for a guy they owe 22 million dollars over the next two seasons that is not a good place to be with him at all. The Pirates really need to make a decision on Cervelli the next year or so and whether they want to move forward with this contract or if they want to seriously consider making Diaz the guy moving forward.

I'm still okay with the contract though. Anyhow, if he's out for any considerable amount of time won't insurance cover his salary anyhow?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Do they routinely insure the contracts? I don't know. Maybe a tandem of Diaz/Cervelli is the way to go. Cervelli is going to be paid and is unlikely to be traded as every GM knows his injury history. Make Diaz the starter with Cervelli as a high quality backup thru the rest of his contract.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I guess I don't know either. I assumed they all were.

Either way, I agree that going forward a Dias/Cervelli split maybe going 60/40 either way might be a good way to go. I still like Stewart as a backup C but of course in that situation there is no room for him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's been a long time but when the Orioles signed Albert Belle to a big contract and he quickly was injured, the story was that the Orioles had been smart to take out insurance, as if that was not the norm. I don't know if that's the norm now or not.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Angels just had an issue with Josh Hamilton since he relapsed. They weren't exactly helping him get over his addiction as they were probably hoping he would never play again to get their $75 million back.

It has to be harder and harder for teams to insure their players. I would think they aren't all covered one hundred percent of the time and the insurance might be more expensive than the what the contract is worth.

The Diamondbacks tried to get an insured contract for Brandon Webb, who was not an injury proned player. But they had a hard time getting an insurance on a pitching related injury.

You would think since money is so part of the game you would hear more about this or these type of contracts. For example, Cervelli is signed for $33 million with a $5 million insurance policy making his deal $38 million. I don't know. Very interesting. I haven't really heard anything since the Hamilton situation.