First Base-Josh Bell

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by IABucFan »

Seven days to opening day...I think Bell will provide an upgrade at first, at least offensively. Obviously, he could be an adventure over there with the glove, but switch hitting power hitters don't come along every day. I really think that Bell can be very special. I think he will take some lumps, so maybe sticking him in the six or seven hole is the best route early on. But, I do think a lot of projections are underestimating his potential. I'm hopeful that Freese will get more time at first, as that will mean that Kang's problems have been sorted out.
Quail

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by Quail »

Love his offensive potential although I expect some struggles in his first full season in the majors. The real question is whether he can be adequate defensively. I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation much like we saw with Pedro where he gets replaced later in games for defensive purposes. I have concerns that if Frazier gets significant playing time at 2B and Bell is at 1B the right side of the infield defense might cost them some games.
mouse

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by mouse »

I would have that same concern. The approach management has taken is to look for ground ball pitchers. That works best when you have an infield that can grab those ground balls.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bell's defense will be bad. He has had more time in the minors at the position and it was still bad, like Pedro bad. I still don't want him pulled late in the game, because his bat can be special.

I hope he hits for some power and pulls the ball more. But he was very good last year in going with the pitch. He has to be better than the production the Pirates got at 1B last year. I expect lumps, but I think he will be alright with his approach at the plate. As long as he hits, no one will care about his defense.
IABucFan

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by IABucFan »

I'm not super worried about range, because the Pirates shift so much. I don't know if there is a team that does it more, or better.

I also think Joey Cora will be a better infield coach than Leyva was. No reason necessarily for thinking that. But, overall, I like this year's coaching staff better than the last few. Leyva and Sofield were good guys, but I was never pleased with our base running, and I thought we had room to improve in both infield and outfield defense. I think Bartee will improve the base running and outfield defense, and Cora will improve the infield. He has to be aware of this particular concern regarding range on the right side.
rucker59@gmail.com

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I like Bell also, with the bat.

But I think he could be packaged in a significant trade. I would support that.
Ecbucs

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by Ecbucs »

I like that Bell is switch hitter with good patience.

Should be a big improvement offensively at first.

He may be bad defensively but hopefully not in butcher category. If he can catch what is near him that is sufficient. More than that is a plus.

Hoping he can hit at least 20 homers, 30 doubles with line of 280, 360, 460.
Bobster21

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by Bobster21 »

I like Bell. A good bat who should hit for both power and average and not a big K guy. His defense is shaky but IIRC, most of his misplays were on smashes at him or being out of place. These are correctable problems. It's not like Pedro who seemed to have developed a mental aversion to both throwing and catching even on routine plays. That's not the type of defensive lapses we see from Bell. So I think Bell can develop into an adequate fielder.
BucsFaninGA

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by BucsFaninGA »

My two cents, I think Bell can play an adequate 1stbase. His bat looks to have some pop in it. And he looks to have some power as well. He reminds me of a young Eddie Murray. Wouldn't it be nice if that happened! Have my fingers crossed for Josh Bell!

Beat'em Bucs
DemDog

First Base-Josh Bell

Post by DemDog »

I share the optimism about Josh Bell's bat. As far as looking like a young Eddy Murray it may be a bit early to say that but it could be a possibility.

His glove really worries me. Like someone said above about Pedro maybe it is a mental thing that Pedro can't throw anymore or catch around 1B. Pedro always impressed me with his hustle and great base running despite the base coaches. I liked Pedro despite his lower avg and big K numbers. His power was more than a little impressive. Now that I have enable Dogknot to say "I told you so Possum!" ;D ;D I will get back on topic.

I see in Bell that same hustle and willingness to succeed and hustle. Not so much impressive power like Pedro but much better with plate patience and ability to get on base. But his fielding even in the OF where he played most of the time just does not seem to be improving like his hitting. I give him this season to show that he can more than make up with his bat the deficiencies he has with the glove.

If he does not work out, then maybe we move him to an AL club where he can make his career as a DH. We may not get so much for him as we would now but I am willing to believe that he will in some way be a fine player for the Bucs and help lead us further into the promised land of WS victory.