4/8 Game Thread Kuhl Runnings...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Marte hasn't looked great in CF so far...not that I'm saying he shouldn't be out there...just calling it like I've seen it.

I think Rivero is our best arm out of the pen. I think Nicasio might actually be the second best.

Kuhl had no control tonight. However, he was able to work around it well enough to get a win. I'll take it from a guy that's likely going to be our 5th best starter by the end of the year.
mouse

Post by mouse »

First start of the year, delayed start at that, and I'm guessing he was overloaded with adrenaline. Not, obviously, what you want to see from the guy but a lot of positives to it. Since last year he's learned some skills to deal with a night when his sinker isn't sinking as it should, and with the help of good infield defense was able to make it through five innings. On the whole, I would consider that a pretty positive outing in many ways.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

544C4E49495E4F48555442270 wrote: I know Hurdle is a formula guy but he's definitely going to blow a game by bringing Watson in the 9th.  Watson's hardest fastball was 93 mph tonight and most of them were 91 or 92 mph.  He's down at least 3 mph tonight.  When he was effective he was throwing 95 to 97 mph.  I haven't seen him much this year, but his speed was way down tonight.   Maybe cold weather but he cannot be effective throwing 92 mph.

Not the cold weather .That's about where he was finishing off last season. It's a matter of time before Hudson or Rivero takes over. But knowing Hurdle it will be later than sooner.
Rivero should be the closer period.  But you're right Hurdle is going to lose some games before he will change to Rivero if ever, and those games could be the difference in wildcard bid.  Hurdle is a disaster.

So, which is it? Your best reliever should pitch the ninth, or whenever it is most expedient? I agree that Rivero is our best RP, but so far, Tony is 2-2. I'm fine with how things are set up now.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Kind of a strange game.

The DP was maybe our best weapon in the win. The Braves generous defense was another big plus for the Bucs. Kuhl who normally has good control had a lot of trouble locating pitches. The Pirates OF defense looked shaky- not just the corners. Frazier looked good defensively at 2B- better for sure than at any time I saw him last season. Polanco seemed to get his timing at the plate sorted out with a knuckleballer on the mound. How long before "No Drama Darryl" starts to appear for Watson's innings? All things considered it was a great game to put in the W column.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Still Watson's job to lose. So far, he is two for two.

Last year, it took Melancon some time to get his fastball going. Maybe, Watson is gearing up too. At least I hope so..
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

would be nice for Watson to have a great start to the season and also see the development of our bullpen as a whole, including some of the interesting arms in AA and AAA

and have Watson be an expendable but valuable trade piece at the deadline that the Pirates could use to secure a need for a playoff piece, while not missing a beat by the loss of Watson.

Might be too much to ask though, but something in the back of my mind...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

133839243F273E122533333F500 wrote: would be nice for Watson to have a great start to the season and also see the development of our bullpen as a whole, including some of the interesting arms in AA and AAA

and have Watson be an expendable but valuable trade piece at the deadline that the Pirates could use to secure a need for a playoff piece, while not missing a beat by the loss of Watson.

Might be too much to ask though, but something in the back of my mind...

Or can keep a good pitching Watson and make a run for the Playoffs.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

45475D5B4D280 wrote: First start of the year, delayed start at that, and I'm guessing he was overloaded with adrenaline. Not, obviously, what you want to see from the guy but a lot of positives to it. Since last year he's learned some skills to deal with a night when his sinker isn't sinking as it should, and with the help of good infield defense was able to make it through five innings. On the whole, I would consider that a pretty positive outing in many ways.

I feel the same way. He could have been absolutely blown out by the end of the 2nd, instead he began to settle just a bit. The defense was great, but the bottomline is he kept the ball in the infield where the opportunuity for double plays exist.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about the staff including Kuhl one trip through 1-4.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5470646C69050 wrote: Kind of a strange game.

The DP was maybe our best weapon in the win. The Braves generous defense was another big plus for the Bucs. Kuhl who normally has good control had a lot of trouble locating pitches. The Pirates OF defense looked shaky- not just the corners. Frazier looked good defensively at 2B- better for sure than at any time I saw him last season. Polanco seemed to get his timing at the plate sorted out with a knuckleballer on the mound. How long before "No Drama Darryl" starts to appear for Watson's innings? All things considered it was a great game to put in the W column.

On the post game, Steve Blass called it a beer league softball game. I thought was a perfect description.
Quail

Post by Quail »

3E392F27293E79750C2B212D2520622F23214C0 wrote: Kind of a strange game.

On the post game, Steve Blass called it a beer league softball game.  I thought was a perfect description.

I agree! No style points but a W is a W.