Marte Fan Reaction?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

654845545342551516270 wrote: I expect the Ryan Braun treatment from other cities. Pirate fans will be reserved until he makes a great play or gets a big hit and then all will be forgotten. Cervelli was a PED user. Pirate fans don't seem to care about that.

Not many Pirates fans probably knew about Cervelli. Pirates fans cheered Byrd big time too.

This might be a little different as Pirates fans now know that Marte took something. Marte got suspended as a Pirate, unlike the other guys.
johnfluharty

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by johnfluharty »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: I expect the Ryan Braun treatment from other cities. Pirate fans will be reserved until he makes a great play or gets a big hit and then all will be forgotten. Cervelli was a PED user. Pirate fans don't seem to care about that.

Not many Pirates fans probably knew about Cervelli.  Pirates fans cheered Byrd big time too.

This might be a little different as Pirates fans now know that Marte took something.  Marte got suspended as a Pirate, unlike the other guys.

The bottom line is that he is a good player, and he's not a jerk, so the fans WANT to forgive him. I think as long as he is properly contrite/humble about the situation- if he just shuts up, plays hard, and plays well- they will.

LumberCo

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by LumberCo »

I am mad at him, then I realize that he plays for bob nutting and then I instantly feel sorry for him. if he racks then I am ok with him, that and he can't hear me booing at home so why bother...LOL 8-)
thessy

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by thessy »

0E2E3D20214F0 wrote:

He'll get some boos from Pirates fans and there will likely be some negative signs (with Marte one liners) being held up by fans at PNC.

My negative Marte sign will say something like "Please don't do that again (else fear the wrath of an angry fist shake in your general direction in lieu of this sign next time around), now go help us win the division. Thanks." I might need to split that up between two signs I guess.

2D282F29212B322F2635333E470 wrote:

The bottom line is that he is a good player, and he's not a jerk, so the fans WANT to forgive him.  I think as long as he is properly contrite/humble about the situation- if he just shuts up, plays hard, and plays well- they will.

Agreed. I would not expect much jeering from Pirate fans for a first time offender.  I could see him being boo'd heavily within the division for a brief time, and maybe slightly louder than usual jeering elsewhere for a bit, but nothing long term.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Fan Reaction?

I few polls on Twitter:

Most are saying they won't boo or cheer him.

I don't find myself clapping or cheering (I am sure some will stand his first at bat) when he is announced. But I can't say I do that anyway for any player. Except Mercer. I clap for Mercer.
SammyKhalifa

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4249414D4849521711665F474E4949084549260 wrote: I few polls on Twitter:

Most are saying they won't boo or cheer him. 

I don't find myself clapping or cheering (I am sure some will stand his first at bat) when he is announced.  But I can't say I do that anyway for any player.  Except Mercer.  I clap for Mercer.

I don't do very much cheering or booing either. People tell me I'm boring.

To be fair, that's not just at the games they tell me that, haha.
IABucFan

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by IABucFan »

I would cheer him. People make mistakes. He owned up to it. The agreed upon penalty as approved by the owners and the MLBPA in the last CBA is that a first offense PED user is suspended 80 games. He's served his time. Welcome back, Starling.
IABucFan

Marte Fan Reaction?

Post by IABucFan »

What are walkup sales like? That will tell you a lot. If tonight's a sellout, Marte will be welcomed back. People are dropping $50 on tickets just to boo.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Fan Reaction?

Really good fan reaction. Many signs. Even a few by grown men. More cheers than Harrison, the All Star.

In the road will be different. Braun still getting booed.