Morton, Glasnow

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Morton, Glasnow

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Morton was my favorite pitcher to watch while in Pittsburgh.  When he was on, he was great.  He won more games, but his 2017 season results were close to his 2013 and especially his 2014 seasons with the Pirates.  He led the AL in hits batsmen this year like he led the NL in '13, '14.  He did have more strike outs, though. 

Morton was great in the World Series, but he had his problems against the Yankees.  I was surprised he entered the game, but glad he got the win.  The Dodgers couldn't hit him.  He had the same amount of fly balls as ground balls too.  I was hoping for more action in Game 7, but it was fun to watch Morton pitch again.

Did the Pirates change his pitching style or did the Astros?
notes34

Morton, Glasnow

Post by notes34 »

474F4C7B6D486F600E0 wrote: Personally, I was never as down on Morton as others were. I always thought he kind of got a bad rap. For me, he was just what I would want in a #4 starter...a guy who might get rocked, but might be lights out. He was great in Game 4 of the 2013 NLDS. Wacha was just a little bit better.
I thought so too. I would just get so frustrated watching him pitch. I honestly felt he had the pure stuff to be an elite pitcher. Like Cy Young winner good, but he was never consistent enough. When he is on the movement on his pitches is just filthy.
rucker59@gmail.com

Morton, Glasnow

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I agree with those that saw a different charlie in the playoffs. The guy was wicked last night. Im really happy for him.

The one thing I really hate is when the Pirates give up on someone who blossoms with another team. The Pirates totally blew it with Jose Batista - we can only imagine the difference he would have made to the organization had he been a Pirate. Watching Charlie last night I was like "wow!" Is this a situation where we could have had a star in the rotation but the Pirate turned him into a middling back end guy?

The Pirates can't afford to miss with guys they have on the roster. Watching the Astros - it was like seeing what the Pirates could have been with better drafting, better development, key but affordable acquisitions.

The Astros showed the Pirates could win a WS with the Huntington model....if we had the Astros management and ownership....

SammyKhalifa

Morton, Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

One of my favorite guys. Not going to go back and say he was my favorite pitcher, but it made me happy the times he did well.

I wasn't sad to see him go, but that was mainly because I thought he was on the way out to make room for something better.
Bobster21

Morton, Glasnow

Post by Bobster21 »

524A484F4F58494E535244210 wrote: Personally, I was never as down on Morton as others were. I always thought he kind of got a bad rap. For me, he was just what I would want in a #4 starter...a guy who might get rocked, but might be lights out. He was great in Game 4 of the 2013 NLDS. Wacha was just a little bit better.
I would say it was a failure of CH and RS, trying to change his pitching style.  I remember him as being one of the most frustrating pitchers I every saw.  He would pitch great for a couple of innings and then he couldn't get anyone out and the other team would score 8 runs before CH woke up and removed him, but game was over.  This was his MO throughout his tenure in the Burg.  I never saw him through 97 MPH for us.
True. There were a number of times I felt like I might be seeing a no-hitter after the first few innings when Morton's pitches were moving so much they looked impossible to hit. But then he'd have his typical meltdown inning and be gone by the 6th inning and the game would be lost. I never understood how a guy with such great stuff could be so consistently bad. But good for him! I'm both glad he's no longer a Pirate and glad to see him finally have some success after 10 years and less than 2 weeks from turning age 34.
DemDog

Morton, Glasnow

Post by DemDog »

I think that giving up on Morton was not so bad. What was so bad is that with the extra $8 mil salary savings all the Buccos got was 2 years of John Jaso and his dreadlocks. Team needs to begin getting more for guys like Morton, either in terms of prospects which in Charlie's case might have not been that much but they certainly could have done better with the money they saved on Morton than Jaso.
SammyKhalifa

Morton, Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E6F674E656D0A0 wrote: I think that giving up on Morton was not so bad.  What was so bad is that with the extra $8 mil salary savings all the Buccos got was 2 years of John Jaso and his dreadlocks.  Team needs to begin getting more for guys like Morton, either in terms of prospects which in Charlie's case might have not been that much but they certainly could have done better with the money they saved on Morton than Jaso.

I remember the day of that deal, thinking that it MUST mean another move for a different SP was imminent
Bobster21

Morton, Glasnow

Post by Bobster21 »

1A2824243002212825202F28490 wrote: I think that giving up on Morton was not so bad.  What was so bad is that with the extra $8 mil salary savings all the Buccos got was 2 years of John Jaso and his dreadlocks.  Team needs to begin getting more for guys like Morton, either in terms of prospects which in Charlie's case might have not been that much but they certainly could have done better with the money they saved on Morton than Jaso.

I remember the day of that deal, thinking that it MUST mean another move for a different SP was imminent

Sammy, I think we all felt that way. And then they added Vogelsong.
SammyKhalifa

Morton, Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I still wonder if something fell through.  If the plan was to add Vogelsong (not saying that's a GOOD plan) you'd have thought they would have done it then, not in a panic weeks later right before ST started.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Morton, Glasnow

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: I still wonder if something fell through.  If the plan was to add Vogelsong (not saying that's a GOOD plan) you'd have thought they would have done it then, not in a panic weeks later right before ST started.

I think they just wanted a stop gap until Taillon came up. They didn't even start Vogelsong at the beginning of that season. Morton and Vogelsong had pretty similar 2015 seasons.

9-11 4.67 ERA, 184 IP, 7.2 SO/9, 3.9 BB/9

9-9 4.81 ERA, 129 IP, 6.7 SO/9, 2.9 BB/9

I also expected someone better to be brought in.