Sunday night vs Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by dmetz »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Not a very good week for the Pirates going 3-4 against both the Braves and the Mets. Gotta be able to do better then that. This division is still there for the taking and the Pirates continue to not take advantage of it by losing to mediocre teams
But the Pirates are one of those teams. If the Nats or Rockies with their .600+ winning pct fail to win against those teams, it's a missed opportunity. But the Pirates have a losing record and are just a 1/2 game better than the Braves and Mets. This is their level. 

I agree. As rostered currently and with the injuries and suspensions, we aren't in a position to be saying "beat the teams you're supposed to". We are one of the teams they're supposed to beat, not the other way around.

Keep working and try to hang around for Marte to return. Try for a .500 record after 162. That's about all there is
Aaron

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by Aaron »

Tyler Glasnow  6.95  ERA, 1.89 WHIP, 4.94 FIP

Chad Kuhl  6.29 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, 4.15 FIP

I won't list Trevor Williams since he's just filling in for an ailing Taillon, who should be back fairly soon.

But the two pitchers named above are not currently major league caliber starting pitchers.

We can debate all day long as to the reasons these guys are in the starting rotation:

-It could be poor drafting and player development.

-It could be a lack of resources.

-It could be a lack of desire to win from ownership.

-It could be some combination of all of these or perhaps some other reasons.

Either way, after ten years on the job this is the best starting rotation that the front office could cobble together.

The specific reasons can be discussed/debated. But this is the reality of the rotation and there's no debating that.

Quail

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by Quail »

5D7D6E73721C0 wrote: Tyler Glasnow  6.95  ERA, 1.89 WHIP, 4.94 FIP

I won't list Trevor Williams since he's just filling in for an ailing Taillon, who should be back fairly soon.

But the two pitchers named above are not currently major league caliber starting pitchers.

We can debate all day long as to the reasons these guys are in the starting rotation:

-It could be poor drafting and player development.

-It could be a lack of resources.

-It could be a lack of desire to win from ownership.

-It could be some combination of all of these or perhaps some other reasons.

Either way, after ten years on the job this is the best starting rotation that the front office could cobble together.

The specific reasons can be discussed/debated. But this is the reality of the rotation and there's no debating that.

So are you suggesting that last year was the "bridge year to nowhere"? ::)
Aaron

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by Aaron »

4C687C74711D0 wrote: So are you suggesting that last year was the "bridge year to nowhere"?   ::)

It was the bridge to sustained mediocrity...at best.
UtahPirate

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by UtahPirate »

4767746968060 wrote: Tyler Glasnow  6.95  ERA, 1.89 WHIP, 4.94 FIP

Well he's filling in better than the two you listed. To some extent I get Glasnow, but Taillon comes back and I'm sending Kuhl down and keeping Williams in the rotation. After a few bumps to start, he's beginning to show he can get through the other teams lineup a couple of times.
mouse

Sunday night vs Mets

Post by mouse »

Kuhl really looks exposed against left-handed batters. He needs to work on a pitch to help against them.