Hurdle on bullpn usage

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hurdle on bullpn usage

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: This is going to be the theme all year when ever a reliever blows a game and Watson wasn't used...ugh!
As opposed to the theme that the Pirates can do no wrong?

Hudson blew game, should have used Watson.

Nicasio blew game, should have used Watson.

You contradict yourself. You are upset over this yet you didn't want Rivero used in the 7th because he is the teams' second best pitcher. He should have not been used and saved for the 8th.
Bobster21

Hurdle on bullpn usage

Post by Bobster21 »

7B70787471706B2E285F667E777070317C701F0 wrote: This is going to be the theme all year when ever a reliever blows a game and Watson wasn't used...ugh!
As opposed to the theme that the Pirates can do no wrong?

Hudson blew game, should have used Watson.

Nicasio blew game, should have used Watson.

You contradict yourself.  You are upset over this yet you didn't want Rivero used in the 7th because he is the teams' second best pitcher.  He should have not been used and saved for the 8th. 

No contradicting myself at all, Dog. Kuhl did not appear to need to be replaced in the 7th. And even if he did, Rivero threw only 8 pitches. He could have come back for the 8th. And even if using Hudson and Nicasio was the right thing to do in the 8th, why is there not a time when the manager will use his best reliever to get out of a potentially game-losing jam? Hudson and Nicasio were both failing badly. But the team's supposedly best reliever (their closer) watches the game get lost from the bullpen because he can't get a save stat if he only protects the lead in the 8th but someone else gets the stat for pitching the 9th.

Look Dog, I didn't make up Hurdle's comments in the first post of this thread. He doesn't want to use Watson in a non-save opportunity because he wants Watson to get more saves to increase his FA value when he leaves. Maybe Watson comes into that game in the 8th and totally implodes. We'll never know. But the manager should be using his players to give his team the best chance of winning. Not trying to get stats for a pending free agent.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hurdle on bullpn usage

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Kuhl didn't appear to You to be tired. We don't know for sure, right?

I don't like that Hurdle said that. But I see no issue in using the second best pitcher to get out of that little jam/inning. Then someone has to be used the next two innings. It is very rare for one inning guys go two innings. Maybe Watson should have been brought in after Hudson (I didn't think of that)?

How many managers would have done something differently? No way more than half. It came down to two relievers giving up three runs.
Bobster21

Hurdle on bullpn usage

Post by Bobster21 »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: Kuhl didn't appear to You to be tired.  We don't know for sure, right?

I don't like that Hurdle said that.  But I see no issue in using the second best pitcher to get out of that little jam/inning.  Then someone has to be used the next two innings.  It is very rare for one inning guys go two innings.  Maybe Watson should have been brought in after Hudson (I didn't think of that)? 

How many managers would have done something differently?  No way more than half.  It came down to two relievers giving up three runs.
Last year Rivero went more than 1 inning 3 times for the Pirates and 14 times for the Nats. On 7/17, he pitched 3 innings of 1-hit ball against.....the Pirates!