I want to know how everyone would rank pirate assets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I am uncertain of how to respond. Value of the players to the Pirates in the long-term term, or assets on the trade market.

Going forward, I believe there are only a few players that the Pirates should not consider trading, unless the return was overwhelming. To me, this very short list of players (in order) includes:

Bell, Tallion, Meadows, and Diaz (there are no other catching options available). I say this noting that I suggested that the Bucs consider dealing Bell as part of a Quintana package last fall. I also would prefer to hang onto Nova.

I believe the Pirates have a few assets that would garner a good return at the deadline, and that the value of some others could increase because of injuries on another team or because someone suddenly 'rights' himself. The players who I believe would garner a good return are:

Rivero (assuming he continues his dominate performances), Cutch (assuming he continues to play like he has for the past 25 games or so), Marte (he has been an all-star, is signed to a long-term contract at a very reasonable rate, and he can play anywhere in the OF), Nova (there are very few teams who couldn't use him), and Cole (assuming his picks it up).

In my opinion, in looking at the other teams that may be sellers, I don't believe there is anyone else out there who could offer players who can perform at the level of the above players and who are signed to very reasonable contracts.

And, the above list does not include players who could be very attractive to other teams: Harrison has turned it up a notch and is 'cheap' contract for many other teams in the league, Freese wouldn't garner a big return, but he is a decent hitter and fielder and a good team player who has a lot of veteranoisty, Mercer could be of interest because of his recent hitting and his low cost (particularly if another team lost a starting SS), Polanco is having a down year but has a lot of potential and he is signed to a cheap contract. Nicassio would garner a bit of a return. Cervelli could also interest teams who need a catcher in this year's pennant race.

Players like Watson, Hudson and LeBlanc have very limited value, but some could be moved for a low level prospect if the Bucs decide to rip it down and rebuild.

I have not considered players such as Frazier, Kuhl, Williams, and Osuna who have greater value to the Pirates than as trade-chips, and folks like Marinez, Schuegel, and Stewart likely have no value. Bucs likely should hang onto Stewart as a caddy to Diaz just in case they decide to move Cervelli.

Very disappointing weekend. It is now mid-June. Pirates need to do more than just show signs of life, they need to start winning more games. They need to start this week by winning both series against the Brewers and Cards. If they do not, it likely is time to start shopping.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'd think Taillon would be the top value in the trade market with none of the others really that close.
izzman

Post by izzman »

To be honest I meant assets for the Pirates going forward not as trade bait. I should have specified. I am just amazed at how my own opinion has changed in a year and even in half a year. The value of Marte PolNco and of course Kang have really suffered. At the same time those three still gave it in them to come back better than ever.

The best trade candidates would be those that rank lowest in the bucs future and highest this season for trade - I would think. Those should still be Cutch, Harrison and maybe Nova