Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

can Hudson vulture a win?

Post by Ecbucs »

I sure hope so.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Wow is this ump brutal in this 8th inning. Both Bell and Polanco should have been walked and they get called out on pitches that aren't even remotely close to being strikes. Just inexcusable for an umpire to suck this badly.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This is why the Pirates are gonna have a hard time getting back into the race. Another game that should have been a win tonight Turns into a loss. Hudson sucks and has been a complete waste of 11 million dollars.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates got ripped off a few times. Harrison was safe at third. I am not sure what they saw in NY on that review. He was safe.

That 8th inning was a killer. Bell and Polanco both got ripped off. There were only three strikes thrown yet the the side struck out.

Some mistakes were made too. Harrison is out by a mile on his double with a good throw. Freeze misding a tag. I have no idea why players reach for the tag. The runner has to come to you, the bag. Stewart could have made some throws to get runners but took the easy out instead. Weird move to walk a hitter to get to the pitcher with a 2-2 count. I did like the Hughes decoy with a fake warm up.

Good game to watch. The Brewers made some great plays to get out of jams. I sure hope Hurdle says something to the league about that 8th inning. Another coach should have complained and got tossed.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Arcia made a great play to end the game on Jaso no doubt. You still gotta be able to hold a 3-1 lead or even 3-2 lead going into the 7th or 8th inning if you're the Pirates. You have just about 20 million dollars tied up into guys like Hudson, Watson, and Bastardo you have to win games like this on the road in the division in which you are leading late against teams you are chasing in the standings. There are no moral victories here like I hear idiot Joe Block say after the game. "Well the Pirates tried hard and gave a good effort they just didn't win". These are games I look at that you can't get back and lesson your chances of winning anything in this division.

Big game today with Nova on the mound. Really need to win this one and take 3 of 4 this series and pick up 2 games on the Brewers as opposed to Zero games if you don't win today.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: The Pirates got ripped off a few times. Harrison was safe at third. I am not sure what they saw in NY on that review. He was safe.

That 8th inning was a killer. Bell and Polanco both got ripped off. There were only three strikes thrown yet the the side struck out.

Some mistakes were made too. Harrison is out by a mile on his double with a good throw. Freeze misding a tag. I have no idea why players reach for the tag. The runner has to come to you, the bag. Stewart could have made some throws to get runners but took the easy out instead. Weird move to walk a hitter to get to the pitcher with a 2-2 count. I did like the Hughes decoy with a fake warm up.

Good game to watch. The Brewers made some great plays to get out of jams. I sure hope Hurdle says something to the league about that 8th inning. Another coach should have complained and got tossed.

I 100% agree with that last part Dog. When calls are that bad you have to say something, even if you get tossed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

A short time ago Hurdle said, "“We’re going to use the bullpen to win games, not count saves.” When you've got a fragile 2-run lead in the bottom of the 7th, runners at second and third and no outs, you need a pitcher who can strike out someone. But Hurdle used a pair of struggling relievers who gave up the lead while his best sat and watched just in case there was a save to be counted. Try to win the game. The 7th was the make or break inning. Use your best to preserve the lead and worry about the 9th inning later. Sure, maybe someone else blows the save in the 9th. Maybe not. We'll never know. But I'll take my chances that way instead of losing the game in the 7th while my best sits and watches the struggling relievers give it away. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. That's not how the game is played anymore. But I just think winning is more important than following a formula with predictably bad results.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: A short time ago Hurdle said, "“We’re going to use the bullpen to win games, not count saves.” When you've got a fragile 2-run lead in the bottom of the 7th, runners at second and third and no outs, you need a pitcher who can strike out someone. But Hurdle used a pair of struggling relievers who gave up the lead while his best sat and watched just in case there was a save to be counted. Try to win the game. The 7th was the make or break inning. Use your best to preserve the lead and worry about the 9th inning later. Sure, maybe someone else blows the save in the 9th. Maybe not. We'll never know. But I'll take my chances that way instead of losing the game in the 7th while my best sits and watches the struggling relievers give it away. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. That's not how the game is played anymore. But I just think winning is more important than following a formula with predictably bad results.   
Was yelling at the TV last night the same exact thing. Hurdle's word means little to me.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Not been a good year for Hurdle at all from a decision making standpoint. Just way too many games blown so far by his poor decision making that should have been wins.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Daniel Hudson had a 2.92 ERA in May and has a 2.25 ERA in June including last night.  Bringing him in was not a bad decision.  No pitcher is ever going to have an ERA of 0.   Bringing in Watson was certainly questionable.