the optimism-only thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

the optimism-only thread

Post by johnfluharty »

Smiles-only here folks. Things I am optimistic about going forward, not necessarily in any particular order.

1> Josh Bell

This dude is going to be a STUD. Face-of-the-franchise type stuff. He has even looked good on a lot of defensive plays lately.

2> Starling Marte

I had some reservations about the non-PED version of Marte. They are gone.

3> Trever Williams

Surprisingly good compared to what was expected of him. Solid #4 or #5 starter for certain.

4> Luplow/Moroff/Osuna

IMO, these guys have all looked pretty good. I think we at the very least have some solid backups here, maybe more.

5> Chad Khul

Call me crazy, but I think there's a chance he ends up better that Garrett Cole. If not, he'll still be a good #3 starter IMO.

6> Felipe Rivero

With just one or two little hiccups, he has been pretty consistently one of the best closers in baseball. I don't see that changing any time soon.

DemDog

the optimism-only thread

Post by DemDog »

585D5A5C545E475A5340464B320 wrote: Smiles-only here folks.  Things I am optimistic about going forward, not necessarily in any particular order.

1> Josh Bell

This dude is going to be a STUD.  Face-of-the-franchise type stuff.  He has even looked good on a lot of defensive plays lately.

2> Starling Marte

I had some reservations about the non-PED version of Marte.  They are gone.

3> Trever Williams

Surprisingly good compared to what was expected of him.  Solid #4 or #5 starter for certain.

4> Luplow/Moroff/Osuna

IMO, these guys have all looked pretty good.  I think we at the very least have some solid backups here, maybe more.

5> Chad Khul

Call me crazy, but I think there's a chance he ends up better that Garrett Cole.  If not, he'll still be a good #3 starter IMO.

6> Felipe Rivero

With just one or two little hiccups, he has been pretty consistently one of the best closers in baseball.  I don't see that changing any time soon.

7> And the Black Bears games are much cheaper and the players look like they want to succeed big time.

8> Lots of hustle.

9> And I love the brown astroturf infield at Monongalia Stadium.
Bobster21

the optimism-only thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Outstanding game from Brault tonight. 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 Ks. The Travis Snider for Brault and Tarpley trade is looking good. (Tarpley is now in Yankees org.) This was the first chance we've had to see Brault pitching effectively as he did in AAA this year.
DemDog

the optimism-only thread

Post by DemDog »

Send Brault to winter league to DH only. Guy can hit and we will need a good pinch hitter next year. He can do that on his off nites from the mound. What a find he was.
Bobster21

the optimism-only thread

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6B634A61690E0 wrote: Send Brault to winter league to DH only.  Guy can hit and we will need a good pinch hitter next year.  He can do that on his off nites from the mound.  What a find he was.
He was 6 for 15 (.400) at Indy the last 2 years. Can he play OF as well as Jaso? :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

the optimism-only thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: Send Brault to winter league to DH only.  Guy can hit and we will need a good pinch hitter next year.  He can do that on his off nites from the mound.  What a find he was.
He was 6 for 15 (.400) at Indy the last 2 years. Can he play OF as well as Jaso? :)

Brault played OF in college.
fjk090852-7

the optimism-only thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the way Brault can hit he is very valuable coming off the bench as a pinch hitter in those situations where you need a pinch hitter early in a game and you don't want to use one of the five or in most cases four bench players.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

the optimism-only thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Don't forget about Jordy Mercer.

He is having a pretty good year and one of his best. He is having a better year than his career averages. What is the Pirates record for most HRs in a season for a SS? I know Jay Bell had 16 in 1991.
Bobster21

the optimism-only thread

Post by Bobster21 »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Don't forget about Jordy Mercer.

He is having a pretty good year and one of his best.  He is having a better year than his career averages.  What is the Pirates record for most HRs in a season for a SS?  I know Jay Bell had 16 in 1991.
19 by Arky Vaughan, 1935.