Player idiosyncracies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Player idiosyncracies

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I mentioned Donn Clendenon's patented scissor split and Nellie Briles's belly flop in another thread. What are some other idiosyncracies that players had that might get lost to history because they were so commonplace that they really didn't get mentioned in the media much?

One that immediately jumps to mind is Clemente walking up to the plate while stretching his spinal cord out by craning his head almost behind his shoulder, with the rest of his upper torso following in the same direction.

Maybe another would be that Mazeroski's glove was about half the size the ones used by other players.
Bobster21

Player idiosyncracies

Post by Bobster21 »

Stargell's windmill bat motion between pitches. (Which I later adopted and found a very relaxing way of awaiting the next pitch.)
DemDog

Player idiosyncracies

Post by DemDog »

Richie Hebner tugging on the back of his shirt each time he got in the batters box.
INbuc

Player idiosyncracies

Post by INbuc »

A more recent one is the way Kang would get in the batter's box, look at the pitcher, and then look away somewhere down the right field line, just before being pitched to.
johnfluharty

Player idiosyncracies

Post by johnfluharty »

Some players- including Starling Marte- adjust their batting gloves after every single at bat.
BenM

Player idiosyncracies

Post by BenM »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Stargell's windmill bat motion between pitches. (Which I later adopted and found a very relaxing way of awaiting the next pitch.)

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread. As a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing in sports.
johnfluharty

Player idiosyncracies

Post by johnfluharty »

Me too.